PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brakes

TINMAN
04-22-2009, 05:51 AM
I have just completed a front brake job with new pads and rotors. This was my first brake job on a volvo.I am now going to do the rear. Is there any real difference in doing a rear brake job compared to the front? I did notice the rotors look quite a bit different. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

billr99
04-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Nope. The concept is pretty much the same. The differences you might be referring to in regard to the rear rotors are primarily in the hats which are larger in the rear so that they can contain the small drum brakes that are the e-brakes. As far as changing out the pads there is no difference. In changing out the rear rotors just back off the e-brake adjustment a bit so you can pull the rotors without snagging the e-brake shoes. Re-assembly is just the reverse of disassembly.

Cheers,

Bill

TINMAN
04-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Thanks. I hope to do this this weekend. Are the e-brake adjusters on the rear brakes or the e-brake handle?

billr99
04-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks. I hope to do this this weekend. Are the e-brake adjusters on the rear brakes or the e-brake handle?

Although VADIS shows that an adjuster in the rear hub is possible, mine did not have them there. So if yours is like my '02, the adjustment is up on the e-brake handle. You just need a 10mm deep socket and you can back the adjustment off pretty quickly.

Cheers,

Bill