PDA

View Full Version : rubber cylinder shaped pieces in driveshaft keep sliding out and rub/squeak

KC04XC70
04-15-2009, 01:41 PM
I read a thread about this a long time ago and can't for the life of me find it using searches so I figured I would create a new post.

There are about 2 of the 6 or so rubber cylinder shaped things inside the end of the driveshaft that keep sliding out and rubbing on the angle gear thing that the driveshaft connects to in the back of the vehicle. When it rubs at slow speed ( < 5mph) it makes a loud squeak noise and is very very annoying. I have tried pushing them back in and putting some gasket sealer to try and hold them in place but they come right back out after driving for a while. I can see where they are rubbing and know for sure they are making the squeak noise by turning the passenger front wheel to turn the driveshaft while I am under the car listening and watching.

I attached a picture and circled / arrowed the rubber pieces location that I am talking about.

Does anyone know if I can just take out the loose ones or replace them? Any ideas as to how I can keep them from sliding back out?

I have never seen anything like this on other vehicle driveshafts so I am not sure why they are even there. I am assuming they help lower vibrations or something but not sure.

Any help or tips would be great, it is very annoying and sounds bad in parking lots and drive through's when going slow.

macsfamily
06-11-2009, 06:11 PM
I am experiencing this exact issue. Any updates? Have not been able to find much info. in regards to this problem..................:confused:

Thanks

Chilled Man
06-11-2009, 07:50 PM
thrashtshafts.com

or something like that

or colorodo drive shafts.

two companies that rebuild them

PaperToast
06-11-2009, 11:08 PM
http://www.coloradodriveshaft.com/ is the proper site.
good guys and quality rebuilt parts.

KC04XC70
06-12-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't think the driveshaft needs to be replaced because a couple of these little pieces are sliding out. There is nothing wrong with the driveshaft other than that. This has to be more common, and im sure volvo doesnt just replace the whole unit because of a few rubber pieces sliding out. I know someone on here fixed this same problem before by replacing the rubber pieces or something, not sure since I can't find that old thread. It's driving me crazy still.

macsfamily
06-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I agree with "KCO". I can push the little cylinders back into place, but they slide back out within a day or so.

Has anyone repaired without rebuilding the drive shaft??

As ghetto as it sounds, I am thinking about using liquid nail or a similar product........

RedXC
06-12-2009, 06:00 PM
This is common on Haldex systems. Just push them back and also add a dip of slicone on it and ill be fine.

Aviator
06-12-2009, 08:56 PM
I checked Vadis on this, and there is NO parts breakdown for driveshaft parts.....it shows the shaft as an assembly; it doesn't even show the center bearing as being separate.

Dave.

KC04XC70
06-13-2009, 02:01 PM
This is common on Haldex systems. Just push them back and also add a dip of slicone on it and ill be fine.

I tried that with some RTV silicone, it didn't hold them. Any other type of glue or liquid I could use that would hold them?

wgriswold
06-13-2009, 06:28 PM
I tried that with some RTV silicone, it didn't hold them. Any other type of glue or liquid I could use that would hold them?

You might try ShoeGoo. It is a product like silicon glue, but seems tougher, that is made to repair the soles of tennis shoes.

macsfamily
06-16-2009, 12:02 PM
OK, so I went the Ghetto route.....
I pulled the two protruding cylinders out as far as I could and brushed Gorilla Glue on them, then reinserted. Car has ran approx. 300 miles without issue.

I hope it stays that way[thumbup]

Chilled Man
06-16-2009, 04:08 PM
where are these rubber parts ?

I just cut out my angle gear today since the freaking POS driveshaft wouldnt come out

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii298/R410a/01xc/IMAGE_020.jpg

Volvo and AWD creating fail together

macsfamily
07-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Ouch! Never a good sight to see that sitting on the ground! The rubber cylinders are in that piece just forward of the carrier housing. It rotates with the driveline.

I am happy to say that the Gorilla brand glue has held them in place with no further problems.[thumbup]

Chilled Man
07-02-2009, 02:39 PM
thats the only place those things shoudl be there or in the trash .

FWD > AWD in volvos :D