PDA

View Full Version : Warranty expiring on 2005; getting thunk

Grundig
04-14-2009, 02:42 PM
My 2005 that I bought in December last year has 36,000 miles. It has 4 months of manufacturer warranty left, and I'm taking it in to the dealer to arrange the extended service plan "Ford easy care" I think.

I've enjoyed the car for the 5 months that I've owned it, and have enjoyed the website here. I'm a bit spooked about something though - when I shift from park to reverse, and while holding the brake to shift, I will get a thunk sound (expecially when I back out of the garage in the morning) which may be completely normal, but I'm aware that these cars can have transmission problems and I'm wondering if this qualifies as a concern. I don't think it's makes that sound when I go from reverse to drive. It's probably for this reason alone that I'm considering the extended warranty, but I'm sure I'll probably need it elsewhere. I will be changing the tranny fluid first chance I get as the weather warms up. Any thoughts? Thanks!

JRL
04-14-2009, 04:15 PM
They will start to clunk a little. The trick is to keep it at a little
This would be a good time to flush the tranny and check all your mounts.
At high 30's mileage this is the time for those (motor and tranny mounts) to start wearing out

kamiar
04-14-2009, 04:17 PM
My 04 is in for the same issue, it is axle spindles and the tech said it will be glued and it will be a permanent fix, he said there are several type of metal glue and that they use the right one, also he said we can go xc90 bolt route, but that definitely create bearing issues....