PDA

View Full Version : Is it a hard DIY job to change cluster odometer light?

Quixotequest
04-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Just got our '01 XC back from having MAF and O2 sensors replaced so it could pass emissions. My wife picked it up from the dealer but I just got to drive it today and noticed I can't read the odometer LCD under the speedo.

Called the service manager to ask if there was any electrical gremlin they could have set loose while doing that repair or blown a fuse or something. They said it's probably a coincidental thing; that there is a bulb behind the LCD panel that lights it for viewing and these things just burn out.

Sounds like it probably wouldn't be a courtesy fix -- would probably cost me 60-90 minutes of shop time. Of course they are happy to service me if I bring it in :)

Anyway, it seems they are probably right as to what's wrong. If I look carefully I can read the odometer and trip/tank mileage. It just isn't lighted so I can see it conveniently while driving. Is this something that is a difficult or easy DIY project to fix?

Quixotequest
04-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Oops... looks like I may have found my answer by way of a former reply by Art:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7466&highlight=instrument+bulbs

skibo
04-15-2009, 04:52 AM
I'm surprised they don't use LED's for this.

Quixotequest
04-15-2009, 11:50 AM
I wonder if they haven't used LEDs because of the way the light dimmer is engineered. Maybe they like "tried and true" tech. Dunno. But I was also surprised to learn the cluster is using bulbs instead of LEDs.

sjonnie
04-15-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm surprised they don't use LED's for this.
Since 2003 they do. Also since 2003 if an LED fails you have to replace the whole instrument cluster, $1000+ dealer installation instead of the cost of a light bulb. Granted, an LED does have a pretty long life span, say the MTBF for an LEB bulb was 50,000hrs and you averaged 50mph for that time your odometer would read 250,000mi. I think by that time $1,000 for a new instrument cluster would be the cheapest thing on your repair list :eek:

mad1
04-18-2010, 05:35 AM
Is this true regarding the 03 and newer XC. Just purchased an 03 with the odometer not reading clearly. Can view the mileage from an angle but can not be read head on.
I would not spend the 1k to correct but will I be able to pass inspection as is.

Ocean Racer
04-18-2010, 06:57 AM
I am currently in the middle of swapping over the 02XC cluster for a 05 S60R cluster. The Pre 05 uses bulbs on the board whereas post 05 uses LEDs.

To remove the Instrument cluster, it only takes a minute.
If you need to replace a cluster bulb, add 2 more minutes to your time. It really is very quick and easy.
If you are going to remove the cluster, FIRST disconnect the battery.

The bulb version of clusters do have weird gremlins and these can be sorted without removing the cluster from the dash. The biggest problems with these (I am experiencing this atm) is the extreme sensitivity of the bulbs. Some bulbs wont work if they have been removed and re-inserted 180degrees around. Also, a simple tap or sneeze will render a bulb on or off - even if its firmly in place. The is due to the VERY fine bulb filament breaking but remaining in tact. You can change bulbs whilst the cluster is still attached, although you need a bit of finesse and strong finger tips. Remember to keep the colour coded bulbs in their respective places.

Behind the LCD panel are 2 grey bulbs. Again, these can be rendered on or off for any unknown reason and can come back on usually with a simple tap to the dash or general driving. Chances are you have not blown a bulb but the cluster wants to play games - A pure Volvo speciality. A trick to make mine work was to simply twist a bulb 2mm anti-clockwise or when driving, tap the roof of the dash.

From my experience I can clearly understand why LEDs replaced the ever-sensitive bulb versions!

If yo have tried and give up, just buy a second hand compatible cluster on ebay for under $100 and plug and play
[thumbup]

Aviator
04-18-2010, 08:48 AM
To remove the Instrument cluster, it only takes a minute.
If you need to replace a cluster bulb, add 2 more minutes to your time. It really is very quick and easy.
If you are going to remove the cluster, FIRST disconnect the battery.

It really is a quick and simple job to do......maybe half an hour from out to in. Lower the column all the way and pull it towards you. That will give you the clearance needed to get the column shroud off, and the cluster out. You don't need to disconnect the battery for this job.......just make sure the IGNITION IS OFF and the key is out!! when disconnecting and connecting the cluster.....this is where you end up with problems and end up going to the dealer to set up your dash again. Obviously, you'll want to turn the ignition on to make sure the bulbs work.

Dave.

Ocean Racer
04-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Behind the LCD panel are 2 grey bulbs. Again, these can be rendered on or off for any unknown reason and can come back on usually with a simple tap to the dash or general driving. Chances are you have not blown a bulb but the cluster wants to play games - A pure Volvo speciality. A trick to make mine work was to simply twist a bulb 2mm anti-clockwise or when driving, tap the roof of the dash.

Another method to test if the bulb has blown is to take it out, rotate it 180 degrees and re insert it. [thumbup]

Here is a pic. (different cluster)
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/north_shore_racer/Senior%20Project/Cluster/IMG_4686.jpg

guide to the job:
DIY cluster removal (http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php/topic/96860-instrument-cluster-removal-and-led-installation-tutorial)

Pic and link courtesy VolvoSpeed

Ocean Racer
04-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Last night I successfully exchanged the XC dials with the blue R ones.
As the back lighting to the dials is not perfect I will be inserting a strip of LEDS inside the cluster to improve the illumination.
I hope to finish this off on the weekend [thumbup]