PDA

View Full Version : rear bumper bulge

duncan
04-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this before, but the back of my rear bumper is starting to bulge down a tiny bit. It's happening right in the middle of the bumper, and bending downwards a few inches more than where it normally is.

I assume this is from built up air pressure on the highway. The bumper does not seem to have any supports in this area, and is simply a big chunk of molded plastic.

Anyone else have this problem? It's 100% cosmetic and probably would not be noticeable to the average persona, especially unless you were looking at the car from a low angle.

kain
04-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Yes. 2001 XC too.

Art
04-03-2009, 11:33 AM
If the bulge is forming at the bottom of the bumper, could you possibly cover it up by attaching one of these? Just food for thought. ;)

http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/cat/en-GB/P2X/styling/exterior/VCC-249483.htm

colovolvo
04-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Just epoxy an aluminum stiffener behind the bumper and call it good.

duncan
04-04-2009, 06:42 AM
Art,

Yeah that would do the trick - would would look pretty good too. Any idea where you order those? I'm sure it is horrendously expensive, but would be a cool solution.

Otherwise epoxying a metal bar on the inside would work too.

Thanks everyone

Art
04-04-2009, 12:59 PM
A far cheaper solution would be Scott's suggestion. That being said, if you feel the need to dress up the rear end a bit you could always order one through your dealer.

thesurfingsquid
04-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi Duncan,
I have the rear skid on my XC, it cost about £35 here in the UK and about £15 to get fitted. Prices for accessories in the USA seem to be cheaper than here in the UK too.
[thumbup]

goldxc70
04-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi Duncan,
I have the rear skid on my XC, it cost about £35 here in the UK and about £15 to get fitted. Prices for accessories in the USA seem to be cheaper than here in the UK too.
[thumbup]

I bet that GBP15 (= US$22) wasn't a dealer charge to get it fitted, was it? Over here, the dealer doesn't do anything ever that would cost that little :)

On another note, I like the plate at the top of your rear bumper. Did that come with the car or did you add that?

thesurfingsquid
04-06-2009, 01:55 PM
I bet that GBP15 (= US$22) wasn't a dealer charge to get it fitted, was it? Over here, the dealer doesn't do anything ever that would cost that little :)

On another note, I like the plate at the top of your rear bumper. Did that come with the car or did you add that?

Yes, dealer fit. Although it is only fixed on by 2 Bolts. I watched the guy fit it and I reckon that it took him less than 2 minutes. £15 for 2 minutes work[sly].

Cheers, [thumbup]I bought the plate off a UK company on Ebay. £40 i think? I like it but had to rivet it on. So holes in the bumper if I ever want to remove it.

goldxc70
04-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Hmmm....this is all very interesting :)
I just looked at a couple of sites looking for the skid plate itself and one place had it at USD138 and the other at USD170. Both are considerably more expensive than yours at GBP36!

Thanks for the info on the other one - I must do a search for that.