PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft CV joints and random noise

tjw7676
03-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Hey all,

I am getting a strange noise on acceleration that seems to come from Bevel Gear area of vehicle. The car recently had the VC replaced but still has a strange whine on acceleration that stops once vehicle is up to speed. There will also be an occasional hum sound when turning at low speeds that comes from same area. It seems to be most prominent around 1800-2000 rpm. The dealer told me that my driveshaft CV joints need to be repacked and are getting dry; which was during the same visit I had the VC replaced. My question is this, would the cv joints in the drive shaft (prop shaft) make that noise, or am I looking at some sort of bevel gear issue. I plan on changing out BG fluid tonight just to make sure it is topped up and clean; car has new VC, and had new fluid put in both rear and bevel gear about a month ago. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!:D

tjw7676
03-27-2009, 03:29 PM
So I just got done changing the fluid and I noticed that there was some play in where the driveshaft enters the bevel gear housing. To me it looks like item number 7 and 14 are the culprits for the bearings. Does anyone know where to get these bearings and it is possible that they can be replaced? There is a pretty significant amount of play when you compare it to where the axle flange attaches to VC unit. The rear flange does not move laterally/ up and down where the front flange attaching to bevel gear has play of 1-2mm which is enough to move side to side and up and down. If anyone can offer some ideas on this, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Aviator
03-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Number 7 is a seal....is it leaking? One to two mm of radial play, to me, is not significant. You need to get the car on a hoist and run it in gear to listen for the noises. Did any filings or debris appear in the bevel gear oil that you just changed? If so, that would be a sure sign that something has failed inside.

Dave.

tjw7676
03-28-2009, 06:20 AM
The fluid appeared to be good in relatively good condition and no seals leaking. When I first changed the fluid a couple of months ago, it was pretty nasty and dark in color. I noticed after changing and topping off the fluid yesterday that the angle gear noises are still present; although not as loud. From what I am reading, it appears that the angle gear bearings cannot be fixed and a new unit it required. With that, has anyone ever successfully rebuilt an angle gear?

BoBoKwok
03-31-2009, 08:59 AM
The angle gear can be rebuilt.
All bearings and seals can be found in hardware store but not the gears.
My Mechanic did it for me.

The fluid appeared to be good in relatively good condition and no seals leaking. When I first changed the fluid a couple of months ago, it was pretty nasty and dark in color. I noticed after changing and topping off the fluid yesterday that the angle gear noises are still present; although not as loud. From what I am reading, it appears that the angle gear bearings cannot be fixed and a new unit it required. With that, has anyone ever successfully rebuilt an angle gear?

ChazzyD
04-01-2009, 05:57 PM
There is never a need to repack CV joints as they are sealed in rubber boots, so that is a silly thing for a shop to say. Now if a boot splits, than you have a problem as grease will come out and dirt and water will go in.
Charles