PDA

View Full Version : Driveline backlash on front axles

jdj2
03-26-2009, 10:32 AM
I've been getting a minor "clunk" when engaging drive lately, so I assumed I had some backlash in my driveline somewhere, or a failing torque bushing.

When I was under the car today, I noticed that I'm able to get about 5° of "play" between my front axle shafts. I can rotate on of them a bit before the other starts to spin.

I assume this is either wear in the axleshaft splines, or backlash in the differential. Is this normal for an '01 XC approaching 100,000 miles? From what I have seen, I assume the half shaft spines engage a diff in the transmission separate from the bevel gear assy.

My key thing is that I don't want it to get worse. It's just annoying to get that clunk when going into drive.

Thanks for any input.

skibo
03-27-2009, 09:48 AM
I've had a minor clunk at start-up since the car was new - like a wind-up in the system.

I noticed it when i first drove it off the lot and it's bothered me for 4 years since. But, it hasn't gotten noticably worse. Dealer insisted it was normal.

gibbons
03-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Mine gradually and imperceptively increased. Then I rented a brand new XC, and it was quiet. I traced it to the torque arm link and lower right hand motor mount, both easy to replace. Oh, yeah, replacing the mount on top of the motor is a given. Doing these steps made the car very refined once more.

jdj2
03-28-2009, 11:56 PM
I have recently replaced the torque arm and the upper bushing. They appear fine.

How did you diagnose the failure of the motor mount?

One of my thoughts was to apply some loctite to the CV splines where they mate with the trans to try to tighten them up.

gibbons
03-29-2009, 11:51 AM
I didn't diagnose the lower motor mount, it was about $50 so I just did it for fun. It made the biggest difference in what felt like driveline backlash.

That's a whole lot of reversing load (on/off the gas) on those splines, I think that driving out of the driveway would pound locktite out. Just guessing.

ChazzyD
04-01-2009, 06:00 PM
I seriously doubt that spline wear is the problem. The motor mounts are much more plausible.
Charles