PDA

View Full Version : 4 bikes by a hitch rack --> possible?

rhauptschein
03-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Does anyone carry 4 bikes by a hitch-type rack? If so, how do you do it given that a 2-inch hitch receiver for the Volvo has a max. weight limit of 165 lbs?

idlemind1999
03-19-2009, 06:39 AM
I dont know much about hitches or hitch mount racks, but I do know bikes... and even cheapo beaters from Target weigh less than 40Lbs so if you have 4 of those, you are still under the 165lb max.

Jeremy
03-19-2009, 07:08 AM
I do it with a Yakima 4 bike rack and a 1 1/4" hitch, no issues. As far as the "weight" limit on the hitch, that is more of a preferred tongue weight to make towing smooth. I can stand and jump on my hitch and it sure as hell doesn't fall off or even move for that matter. I'd say that you would bottom out the suspension before the hitch breaks off or bends.

Jeremy

rhauptschein
03-19-2009, 08:05 AM
I dont know much about hitches or hitch mount racks, but I do know bikes... and even cheapo beaters from Target weigh less than 40Lbs so if you have 4 of those, you are still under the 165lb max.

You need to add weight of bike rack itself.

idlemind1999
03-19-2009, 10:57 AM
You need to add weight of bike rack itself.

True....

budrichard
03-20-2009, 07:00 AM
I've far exceeded that limit if indeed it is a true value because 165#'s sounds way too low. The Volvo rear carrier I have with the required extension unit has to be close to 100#'s alone and on top of that I carry 200# animals with no problems. Used to just sling the animals on top but that is getting harder to do each year and the blood affects the finish if you don't get it off right away
I have a 4 bike rear Yakima carrier also but just never use it but I have no worries about weight on my Volvo 2" hitch.
Where did the 165# limit come from?-Dick

rhauptschein
03-20-2009, 12:35 PM
I've far exceeded that limit if indeed it is a true value because 165#'s sounds way too low. The Volvo rear carrier I have with the required extension unit has to be close to 100#'s alone and on top of that I carry 200# animals with no problems. Used to just sling the animals on top but that is getting harder to do each year and the blood affects the finish if you don't get it off right away
I have a 4 bike rear Yakima carrier also but just never use it but I have no worries about weight on my Volvo 2" hitch.
Where did the 165# limit come from?-Dick

165 lb limit came from both Volvo part spec And owner's manual (see my accompagnying thread for more:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13365

Also this is an interesting thread, with esteemed poster AWD*V0XC coming out strongly against going over 165#:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1764&highlight=bikes&page=2

rhauptschein
04-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Now Jordan Paskoff of Volvocars.com says that the hitch+bike rack can support 165 lbs, not just the hitch.