PDA

View Full Version : New Member-XC70 questions

Giles
03-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi Members,

I would like to intro myself, I'm Giles and I reside in the south west of Western Australia, about a 100kms north of Margaret River.

I plan to purchased an XC70 (2001 model) this week which I beleived to be a LE(?) with sunroof,woodgrain inserts full leather and a load of factory options.
Its done about 120,000 kms and is in exceptional condition with full service history. What, if any, problems or things to look out for before purchasing this vehicle.
Any comments would be greatfully appreciated.
Regards,
Giles

n00bkiller944
03-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I would recommend staying away from the 2001-2002 model, they tend to have many severe transmission problems.

JRL
03-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Agreed.
Unless you have PROOF of a new transmission, stay away from it

PJ810
03-16-2009, 02:05 AM
In the interest of balance, notwithstanding that the 2003 and newer models are much better, I bought a 2001 a year and a half ago.

Mine had 230,000km on the clock and had a full history. 21 pages printed out from the dealer where the car was serviced. I have since put another 26,000km on the car.

I have experienced the expected wear and tear items which aren't cheap but I can't complain given the kms.

Car has otherwise been reliable and problem free. This forum would suggest I'm one of the few lucky ones. Regardless, I love the car and have no regrets buying it and don't intend to let go of it any time soon.

Giles
03-16-2009, 03:09 AM
Thanks guys,

Before I purchase I'll check to see if any trans mods have been done.
PJ 810, they look like Victorian license plates.

Car I'm looking at is attached

Many thanks,
Giles
South Western Australia

MelbV70XC
03-16-2009, 03:16 AM

They're not. All Victorian Euro plates start with a V, so I'm figuring that's common across all states, and that's a Western Australian rego.

Looks kinda like mine (well, they're both black!).

n00bkiller944
03-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Thanks guys,

Many thanks,
Giles
South Western Australia

I like the black and the driving lights!

PJ810
03-16-2009, 06:03 AM
Mine are old NSW personalised plates. You could get them with two letters and three numbers or two letters and four numbers, white on black.

The pic of the car in question looks great. Keep in mind that the USA perspective on these vehicles and the relative running expenses is quite different to ours. You're buying a $21K car. In the US, it's probably a $5K car or less given the age, and therefore it's a bad economic proposition given the expense of a new gearbox when a 2003 model will be only marginally more expensive to buy. To us, this economic rationale doesn't apply.

PJ810
03-16-2009, 06:07 AM
In this photo you get a better look at my plates. Apologies for the car being a bit dusty...

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/pj810/DSC_8711.jpg

PJ810
03-16-2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks guys,

Many thanks,
Giles
South Western Australia

One more thing, check particularly for transmission software upgrades if they haven't replaced the entire thing. The upgrades are critical. You can double check when doing the test drive. Does the transmission engage neutral when stopped? You'll notice it engaging first gear when you lift off the brake to take off. I love the concept of the feature but apparently it is what causes all the problems in the gearboxes and has been disabled by a software upgrade. Mine shifts beautifully but I've done a precautionary transmission flush as per instructions on this forum. Cost me about $300.

thesurfingsquid
03-16-2009, 03:57 PM
2nd to 3rd is a common problem, especially when very very light acceleration in 2nd is used, so that it only just needs to change to 3rd. You may feel a jolt.
The majority of early XC70's did'nt suffer though, but updates were needed.
Great cars![cool2]

Chicho
03-16-2009, 04:16 PM
I too have bought a 01 with 150k have added an additional 40k with no upgrades to the transmission software (I still have stop neutral).
I have done the flush and I’m a bit reluctant to upgrade the software as I might upset it.

Look if the throttle has the yellow sticker on it, this I think is also important.
Do some research on the TPS.

If it all looks ok and you are getting a good deal go for it, just be ready that yes the GB night go bad some day - but in saying that, every car has it’s problems.

Apart from that, they are nice comfy safe cars, we have taken ours to QLD, Melb, SA and has seen snow on many occasions.

In the process of fitting new shocks at the moment as it’s getting bouncy.

Hey PJ,
How does it go on those types of terrain? Do you find the viscous works ok on the slippery stuff?

Joe Mc
03-16-2009, 06:53 PM
We bought ours in 03 w/46+k and presently have just under 100k, great car = expected usual wear and tear, brakes, shocks etc. I think we complained about the way it was sluggish from a stop or slow down when taking off and they did the tranny software upgrade. Its been fine ever since. Make sure the T-belt was replaced - I think it calls for 105k to be replaced? They are interference engines. Hopefully when and if it was done they installed a new idler pulley, tensioner and water pump too. It only makes sense to do this as its all there when you get to the t-belt. Oh, the upper motor mount at the tower cross bar is probably bad or already replaced. I got one of the urethane ones from IPD for like $40 I think, whatever the cost it was cheaper and better than the dealer $175 for the whole stupid bracket.

Just make sure "everything" works as parts, and labor if you can't do it yourself, are not cheap at all. Good luck.