PDA

View Full Version : Buying New 2008 XC70: What dealer-installed accessories

Mighty Quinn
03-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Greetings All,

Tomorrow I am going down to my local Volvo dealership to sign the paperwork and finalize the deal on a new 2008 XC70. This will be my first Volvo, and I am wondering if there are any dealer-installed accessories that I should consider.

Also, I found that there are four NHTSA recalls for the XC70. Click here (http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?section=safety&makeid=49&modelid=6928&year=2008&myid=&acode=USB80VOC181A0&mode=&aff=national) for details. Is there anything that I should ask the dealer about regarding these recalls?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers,
TMQ

Lotus99
03-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Congrats!

Ipod interface gets my vote.

budrichard
03-15-2009, 05:26 AM
Depends on whether you go off road or tow.
Off road, mud flaps, real skid plate
Cold weather? Block heater.-Dick

beavenx5
03-16-2009, 09:37 AM
When I got my car back in October, Volvo Canada had a promotion where I got $1,250 in free accessories. I got;
Roof spoiler
Plastic cargo and floor mats (for winter)
Cargo area bike rack (when I don't have the bike roof rack on) or to haul an extra 2 bikes.
Mud flaps

I realise now that I should have ordered the nylon safety net also as I had it in my previous Volvo V70XC and it allows you to pack safely all the way to the ceiling of the car.

As for the Block heater, the tech at the dealer told me I would be better to run the car with synthetic oil in the winter instead of getting a block heater. I think it makes sense. I was doing both on my previous Volvos.

You are righ, you can get a much better deal on accessories before signing the paperwork than after :D

Here is a link to all the accessories available for our car: http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/cat/en-GB/V70-XC70/default.htm

Here are some pictures of my car with the roof spoiler. Not many of them around...

budrichard
03-17-2009, 12:52 PM
"As for the Block heater, the tech at the dealer told me I would be better to run the car with synthetic oil in the winter instead of getting a block heater. I think it makes sense. I was doing both on my previous Volvos."

Why does it make sense?

BTW I run syn all year round with blockheaters in both XC's. Heat is heat and not viscosity.

I also have the nylon safety net which I forgot to mention. The grocery bag holder piece of crap never worked well and the big net can hold down a lot of stuff.
The way I load/unload my sea kayak from the Yakima 'Hully Rollers' would break that spoiler right off.-Dick

OKCXC70
03-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Can't say enough about a clear bra for the front end. My 08 is black and with the clear bra, it is protected from chips and dings on the front of the hood, the side panels, bumper and the side mirrors. It has already made a difference. Most likely, the dealer won't offer it unless you ask. We didn't ask but I found out where they take it and got a cheaper price since there was no middle man. It was $578. Film isn't that expensive, but it takes a lot of labor.
Go for the rubber mats and the mud flaps--it is a utility vehicle after all! I'm standing by on the Satellite Radio (mine has the prep) since Sirius is in financial trouble. I'm planning on getting the hitch next month as well as an "eyebrow" tint strip across the inside top of the windshield since the visors are a little inadequate.
That's about all the after market stuff I purchased. My Thule crossbars from the 04 fit the 08 and I have all the various roof rack items--kayak/ski/bike/box. I don't drive around with the cross bars on if I'm not hauling anything. That way I don't have to listen to the noise and lose mpg's. (BTW, I regularly get 19.4 with the 3.2)

Lotus99
03-17-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm standing by on the Satellite Radio (mine has the prep) since Sirius is in financial trouble.

I would think that with combined revenues of $2 billion and the huge customer base they have, they wouldn't just let the company die off and the radios go silent. I'm sure someone will buy them and continue operating it.

mgbannister
03-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Could you expand on your description of a "Clear Bra"? I've seen this in previous posts but haven't heard of it before. What is it (I have a "LeBra" on an older car and that's what I keep thinking of).

Is it anything like "Diamond Coat" car protection?

Thanks

Mighty Quinn
03-17-2009, 09:22 PM
"As for the Block heater, the tech at the dealer told me I would be better to run the car with synthetic oil in the winter instead of getting a block heater. I think it makes sense. I was doing both on my previous Volvos."

Why does it make sense?

BTW I run syn all year round with blockheaters in both XC's. Heat is heat and not viscosity.

Per the Volvo 2009 XC70 Owner's Manual, page 196 under the subheading "Cold Weather Precautions": "The viscosity of the engine oil is important. Oil with low viscosity (thinner oil) improves cold-weather starting as well as decreasing fuel consumption while the engine is warming up. For winter use, 5W-30 oil, particularly the synthetic type, is recommended."

I think that the key point here is the viscosity of the oil at the moment you turn over your engine. If the viscosity is lower, the engine will turn over easier, thereby pulling a smaller load on the battery.

So, while I agree that "heat is heat and not viscosity", the most important thing that a block heater does is reduce the viscosity of the oil. Therefore, starting with a synthetic that has a lower viscosity at any given temperature is certain to help cold weather starts.

That being said, I can't imagine any synthetic oil is better than a good ol' block heater for cold weather starting. Last block heater I had was on a 1992 Old Cutlass Supreme when I lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. On a -30degF morning with block heater on, that car would start like it was the middle of summer.

FWIW....

Cheers,
TMQ

beavenx5
03-18-2009, 06:45 AM

Why does it make sense?

I also have the nylon safety net which I forgot to mention. The grocery bag holder piece of crap never worked well and the big net can hold down a lot of stuff.
The way I load/unload my sea kayak from the Yakima 'Hully Rollers' would break that spoiler right off.-Dick

If I remember his explanation correctly, he was saying that the block heater was quite expensive and it would be a better investement for the engine to spend an extra $100 a year on synthetic oil (all year long) and use a lower viscosity oil in the winter. For the few times(2-3 times a year) I use the block heater, it did not justify the investment. Using 5-W30 synthetic oil in the winter will protect the car adequately without the need for a block heater (at least for our use).
We keep our cars in the heated garage over night in the winter and my wife doesn't have a chance to plug her car at work during the day. We only used the block heater on our previous Volvos a few time per year at the cottage during cold winter nights when we would leave for skiing the next morning.

The best thing to do to the engine is to always be gentle on the gaz pedal until the engine has reach normal operating temperature, no matter the season or type of oil used. This is even more important in the winter... And there is no need to let it warm-up at idle for 5 minutes before driving it, it only takes longer to warm-up this way and is not realy good for the catalitic converter. Only let it warm-up at idle for 1 minute max if it is really cold, then drive the car slowly at less than 2,000 RPM.

budrichard
03-18-2009, 10:38 AM
An economic anaylsis is different than an engineering evaluation. If you don't want to spend the money that's one thing but if the vehicle is cold, syn in no way compensates for lack of heat provided by a block heater.
I find techs and sales people many times uniformed about the topics they give advice on many times to the detriment of the person taking that advice.
Block heaters do not just affect the viscosity of the oil to help cold weather starting, if so, there would be no parking heaters in Canada and Alaska.
The Volvo has an aluminmum block so the heaters are not as powerful as for a cast iron block and the only way to feel the affect is to reach way down on the side of the block with bare hands in cold weather. You will not feel what we would think is a warm block but just warmer than the surrounding bare metal but its enough to assure that the materials are warmer and consequently assure a start.
We see -20F or below a few times a year in Southern wisconsin but are in Northern Wisconsin hunting during the winter and we see -40F. Our Volvo's start whether inside or outside and that's the purpose of a block heater, to take away the chance factor. If you can afford to be stuck, then you don't need a block heater anyway.-Dick

OKCXC70
03-18-2009, 07:30 PM
No, it is not "LeBra". It is called Paint Protective Film and it is made by 3M. It is like clear window tint, for lack of any other description. It is typically applied to the front end of vehicles to protect the paint from the usual dings, etc. This is especially nice with the dark paint. Can you see it? Yes, it isn't completely invisible with the flat black paint but it isn't distracting. My car is pretty dirty right now with all the pollen in the air and you can see the line on the hood. It will last for several years if taken care of properly. It can be washed and waxed. Your paint will fade like the rest of the car because it doesn't block UV rays. I had it applied to the front of the hood, the bumper, the little covers where the window washer jets pop up in the bumper, the fronts of the front quarter panels (side fenders) and the front of the outside rear view mirrors. I have seen some put it on the paint above the windshield and down the A pillars, but I thought that was a bit much. A friend of mine has it on his Hyundai Santa Fe and he said it came with it. I've seen it on a few other cars, but the Volvo dealer here in OKC is Volvo/Jaguar/Mercedes and they have it on a few cars on the lot. You might have to make a lot of calls to find someone who actually does it, not every window tint/accessories place is certified to do it. Yes, CERTIFIED. You can read about it here:[cool2]

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/For_the/Consumer/

beavenx5
03-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Two years ago I tried to apply a strip of clear bra myself to the top of the rear bumper on my father's car (Audi A4 station wagon) because his old dog was scratching the paint while climbing on board. It was a hard process and the result was less than satisfactory: It had a few bubbles and folds :( . It did the job for about 18 months until the dog passed away and I have now removed it. The paint on the bumper was saved this way :).
The lesson I learned there was that you have to have it done by a good technician, this stuff is much harder to install than window tint but does an amaizing job to protect the paint.
Works well also on the bottom of my nitro RC cars to protect the paint :D

budrichard
03-20-2009, 06:52 AM
It's too late for guys with bras and protective film but I have found the Volvo paint/coating to be amazingly protective over the years. When I started taking my 99XC off road and through high grass fields with branches and other stuff, I would wince as I could hear the brushing noises as we went along but amazingly, no obervable affects over the years. Now i just push through that stuff without nary a thought as to how it wll affect the finish.
The thought of carrying canoes/kayaks a couple of miles or packing out a large animal by dragging far out weighs any concerns over finish.
So for those concerned over thier Volvo's finish, I would advise that you not worry but just use the thing.-Dick

Mighty Quinn
03-21-2009, 10:10 AM
It's too late for guys with bras and protective film but I have found the Volvo paint/coating to be amazingly protective over the years.

Indeed, I was astonished at the 12 year corrosion warranty that came on my 2008 XC70, although I have not purchased a new car in a long time. Is this type of corrosion warranty now typical in the auto industry, or is Volvo really a standout in this category?

Cheers,
TMQ

stonepa
07-28-2010, 09:31 AM
As someone who has lived in both northern Minnesota and Alaska, my opinion is that the big issue is the vaporization temperature of gasoline. Any engine below about -40F will not start no matter how good of battery you have. The gasoline will not vaporize and will not combust. Warming the engine even a little bit will bring the fuel above this temp and will allow it to combust.

That being said, I also had an engine oil heater and a battery heater installed to decrease the wear and tear on my vehicle. If only they made a transmission oil heater. they make magnetic heating strips but they only stick to steel oil pans.

Inchindown
07-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Congrats!

Ipod interface gets my vote.

Why bother with an ipod when you can just put in a USB memory stick? :)

Lotus99
07-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Why bother with an ipod when you can just put in a USB memory stick? :)

Because for 2009 and 2008, the USB port wasn't standard on the cars, and the only way you could get it was to buy the Y shaped cable which at one end has the iPod interface, and at the other end the USB port.

I just checked Volvo International accessories website and it seems you could get just the USB cable by itself (my dealer never told me that, so I don't know in Canada if you can), but if one is going thru that much trouble to buy and get it installed at the dealer, I'd pay whatever nominal amount for the iPod capability too. And if you have an iPod, it'll charge it too of course.

http://vccs.volvocars.se/AccessoriesWeb/AccessoriesWeb.Mvc/Images/0000c8af/80/05/b6/30.jpg

jmeljr
08-13-2010, 06:45 AM
I just ordered the cargo net barrier that I miss from my 2005 XC70. I got this one instead of the metal barrier for 2 reasons. My Dog can not get his snout through the net and he slobbers something fierce and it stained my black leather seats and the window sills. I tried to clean with Lexol yesterday, may need to give it another coat to clean up but it looks somewhat better. Second reason, I learned on this forum that with the net you can place it behind the second row like always but on my 2010 there are also mounting points in the ceiling right behind the driver and passenger seats. That is awesome, much more functionality than the metal barrier and I read that the metal one is a pain in the butt to "unhook" and swing up against the roof. I also didnt like the fact that it does swing up against the roof as I believe it would take away some clearance. Over the last year I have put a new dishwasher in the back as well as tv's and other things that may not have fit with the barrier swung up parallel to the roof.

I also got the rubber mats for front and rear as well as the rear plastic cargo area protector. After going up to the cottage last month the interior was trashed from the dog and the kids at the beach. I just took out all of those pieces, scrubbed them down with soap and water and they look brand new again.

I also did the mud flaps to keep the plastic cleaner behind the wheeels as I had trouble on My 2005 being permanently "stained" with dirt. Hardly noticable to anyone but me but it always bugged me so I hope the 2010 does not have the same problem. I like the protection so far, it keeps the dirt off the first foot or so of the plastic body molding and the spray behind that is dissapated somewhat so it is easier to clean. :)