PDA

View Full Version : Burning rubber from exhaust

ForbesMarch
03-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Can anyone think of a reason why my 2001 V70XC would have the smell of burning rubber comming from what seems like the exhaust?
clues:
1. It is accompanied by a new "rumble" sound
2. It Only comes after agressive driving
3. I broke the hanger on the exhaust and there is some slight rubbing of the exhaust against my tow hitch
4. Started after 90,000 tune-up.
5. Rumble is worse on right turns, less on left turns.
6. When I flushed my rear-driver-side break fluid, some rust residue came out.

My mechanic sais I have a bad driver-side-rear bearing... Ok rumble, why burning smell???

Oh, lastly, having praid for rain, I am now complaining of mud; my wife just got her license and has been driving my car... badly.:o

Any thoughts would be welcomed, I don't want to start "trying" different things as my mechanic suggests.
Thanks.

MT71
03-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Hi Forbes, funny I noticed the same thing two weeks ago. It smells rubber at the rear driver side. Happens after my usual commute home, about 30 mins on highway. I don't have the rumble.

I hope someone will chime in with some insight.

billr99
03-02-2009, 12:39 PM
You say you have a busted pipe hanger? You know that the pipe hangers use rubber donuts, right? Since you say you have a broken hanger I would suspect one of the donuts melting on the pipe. The reason you have some different sounds, etc. after aggressive driving is that you are moving the pipe around more with the increased torque reaction, etc. It ends up rubbing against things (like your hitch) and transmitting noise and vibration into the body.

Just like anything, fix the known and easy stuff first. After that is done, you can see if you have a more serious problem.

Good luck,

Bill

baned_existence
09-19-2015, 12:20 PM
Can anyone think of a reason why my 2001 V70XC would have the smell of burning rubber comming from what seems like the exhaust?
clues:
1. It is accompanied by a new "rumble" sound
2. It Only comes after agressive driving
3. I broke the hanger on the exhaust and there is some slight rubbing of the exhaust against my tow hitch
4. Started after 90,000 tune-up.
5. Rumble is worse on right turns, less on left turns.
6. When I flushed my rear-driver-side break fluid, some rust residue came out.

My mechanic sais I have a bad driver-side-rear bearing... Ok rumble, why burning smell???

Oh, lastly, having praid for rain, I am now complaining of mud; my wife just got her license and has been driving my car... badly.:o

Any thoughts would be welcomed, I don't want to start "trying" different things as my mechanic suggests.
Thanks.

Mine is doing the same thing.74347433743274357436
Prognosis: The rear Haldex drivetrain assembly is tearing up, (due to previous owners' lack of maintenance, no doubt) causing an unexplained vibration and overheating the trx. Molten ATF flows into the ATF cooler in the radiator; rapidly overheating the entire system...destroying the new radiator, and causing pressurized engine coolant to spew directly into the trx. (transmission)
Burnt rubber smell coming from the rear tires...most likely from dragging its "back legs" like a dog with a broken back. Most noticeable going uphill.
Ugh.
��"...One thing...one thing leads to anNNNNother..."��