PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Perma Coat of paint/leather Options?

kersti
02-27-2009, 12:28 PM
I just purchased a 2008 XC70 to replace my totaled one. The dealer among many things was pushing this coating on paint and leather that would eliminate the need to wax and protect the leather. In the past I have not been very good at waxing and norishing my leather. Does this work or am I asking for trouble in the future with it flaking off?

Kersti
2008 XC70 Oyster Gray with oak interior

BLUEH20
02-27-2009, 02:36 PM
The cost of the paint protectant to the dealership for a 8oz application-enough to do the XC at least 1.5 times more like twice is about 25.00. I sold that service for 499.99 in my dealership. It is easy to apply--KEEP IT OFF THE BLACK PLASTIC--and works well and lasts for about 1 year. Recommend a good wax--If you do not like the white reside on your black trim use Turtle Wax ICE. Easy and very effective; leaves no white reside--none--nada-zilch.

Leather requires or should be done yearly--get a good product like LEATHERIQUE for their .com site--Runs about $50.00--vice $99 to $199. Again very easy to use and sooooooo good. Bottle will do the seats and such about 4 times.

If you follow these recommendations--should shave about $600-$1,000 depending on the prices in your geographic area.

All that said--do not call the dealer a stealer--these prices are in keeping with the current market, even in a small town like mine. If you hate to do the maintenance on your vehilce--pay the bucks-------.

The extra cost is based on how much your time and effort are worth....to you!

kersti
02-28-2009, 11:05 AM
From what I have read on the internet, it is a rip-off and does require continued maintenance with their products, am I wrong? The cost is $595. Is this something that can peel off or is it just was? The PermaPlate website is not very upfront on their warranty. I may still have time to cancel it, my appointment is not until Friday. What do you think?

Kersti

wgriswold
02-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Cancel it.

budrichard
02-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Waste of money and in fact may be detremental in the long run.-Dick

dlr97
02-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Cancel it.

Agree. Use name-brand protection products that are known to work for 1/10th the price.

JRL
02-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Waste of your money

justthefacts
02-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Ahh...the wonderful world of paint protection plans!

Is this something that can peel off or is it just was?
(You meant wax, right?) This is a paint sealant, which you can think of as "wax", so no it wouldn't peel or flake off.

There is an entire industry devoted to auto detailing, and plenty of myths, urban legends, and personal preferences as to the techniques and products. Here is a link to a reasonable explanation about the difference between wax and sealant:
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28676
Here is a link to a more technical (chemical) explanation:
http://www.mobileworks.com/auto-waxes-polishes.html

If you tend to be negligent in caring for your vehicle's appearance, then paint sealant might be a good idea, that is, if you at least wash it so that people can see your paint! (Of course, proper washing is yet another topic.) Most of these plans are for a specific time period. How long is the proposed contract? For $595, I would ask for the maximum time frame, like five years (not that I'm recommending you get the plan).

The durability and effectiveness of sealant (and wax) depends a lot on proper preparation - removal of any existing coatings and claying the paint - for best adhesion. Almost for that reason alone (keyword being "proper") I wouldn't have the dealer apply it. Ask to see a new vehicle that has been prepped for delivery and inspect it for the dreaded dealer-installed swirl marks and buffer holograms. If you see any, you'll know the detailing department doesn't use proper washing and buffing techniques. Actually, I've found it difficult in my area to find a good auto detailer at all, much less at a dealer.

bobo9
02-28-2009, 06:59 PM
With over 25 years of working in and around dealerships. I can honestly say "Save Your $$$$" I have seen 3 incidents of customer actually coming in to make a claim against the protection plan. That is if the paint on your vehicle has not been "Chipped" or repainted. Remember you Volvo comes with a Factory Warranty against factory defects. Sure they tell you it is good for up to 10 years. But how many stone chips have you had by now, because a stone chip caused the paint to rust or bubble underneath. So you are on your own. It is probably better to have it detailed once or twice a year by a professional detailer. What you are paying for is the insurance aspect of it. What the Pro-Pack companies are really working on is that you will never use it. It is a huge profit center for a dealership. They just "Bombard" you until you say yes. Just like "Nitrogen" in tires.

Last week a Service customer told me he was Bombared in the "Business Office" until he said yes, but he was not sure what he got either.

Our dealership will sell you a "Nitrogen fill, Road Hazzard Rim and Tire" warrany pkg. for $599.00 for 5 years. Is it worth it? That is up to the individual of course, but for someone working in the Service Dept. can tell you this. I have not seen enough damage to justify it and If you damage your tire and rim that bad. Your car's insurance company covers it anyways.

Remember, "It's Buyer Beware"