PDA

View Full Version : What if it burns oil during the warranty period?

Grundig
02-26-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm concerned about my car using too much oil - it's a 2005 with 34,000 miles that I bought a couple of months ago as a Volvo Certified Used car. The Volvo dealer I bought it at is out of town; I had my own dealer change the oil to synthetic. The oil was changed by the previous owner as per the Volvo schedules, every 7500 miles (not ideal, but not the worst . . . )

I noted today that after 1300 miles, the car has used (leaked?) about 1/2 quart. Not great, I know. So I'm taking it to my dealer and having the car checked for leaks. Hopefully it's just thin synthetic that's finding it's way out somewhere. But if that's not the problem then what should I do? I like the car otherwise very much; it's still under the original warranty until August 15 . . . should I ask for it to be "fixed"? Can that even be done? Should I just put in some oil and forget it? Is it even possible with a car that has 34,000 miles and was dealer maintained to burn excess oil? Thanks . . .

jdj2
02-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Unfortunately, unless it's a leak, MHO is that the dealer will probably stonewall you.

Usually, the OEM specification for "acceptable" oil usage is something crazy like 1qt/1000 miles. They do this so they have lots of wiggle room when it comes to issues like this.

Good luck, and I hope you find a leak.

Jeff

Allen
02-27-2009, 12:25 AM
I would bet that the slippery synthetic has not leaked out, but managed to fill in voids where petroleum oil couldn't fit, if that makes any sense. You've probably got much better lubrication right now because of it. Just top it off and continue to monitor.