PDA

View Full Version : Installed an Amsoil Ea air filter in the XC70 tonight.

Allen
02-25-2009, 09:23 PM
I've found my filter. :)

K&N screwed with my MAF sensor and ECU badly, so I reinstalled the cheapy paper filter. I missed the increased throttle response allowed by the K&N, so I figured I'd try out the new Amsoil Ea filter.

I likes it a lot. [thumbup]

Seems like it's very sturdy.

[cool2]

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx

Allen
02-25-2009, 11:25 PM
What!? No snide comments?

You guys feeling okay?

02Ocean224
02-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Nah, I've had enough fun. I'm just playing you know. ...but I swear I do see KryptonŽ Krystals in the filter closeup!

02Ocean224
02-25-2009, 11:36 PM
So, when you serviced your K&N, was there oil dripping off of it? (really, not being a smarta$$ now.)

Allen
02-25-2009, 11:50 PM
So, when you serviced your K&N, was there oil dripping off of it? (really, not being a smarta$$ now.)

Nope, it was factory-fresh. It had the perfect quantity of oil in it. I've used K&N filters in my other cars with great success. The Volvo's MAF sensor didn't like it, I suppose.

Allen
02-25-2009, 11:51 PM
nah, i've had enough fun. I'm just playing you know. ...but i swear i do see kryptonŽ krystals in the filter closeup!

:d

02Ocean224
02-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Nope, it was factory-fresh. It had the perfect quantity of oil in it. I've used K&N filters in my other cars with great success. The Volvo's MAF sensor didn't like it, I suppose.

What were your symptoms? I have had mine installed for close to two years with no adverse issues. I keep mine oiled lightly as well.

02O224-

Allen
02-26-2009, 12:15 AM
What were your symptoms? I have had mine installed for close to two years with no adverse issues. I keep mine oiled lightly as well.

02O224-

The most dramatic symptom was the transmission began hunting constantly. It's like the car couldn't decide what gear to be in because (I presume) the ECU was being fed inconsistent data by the MAF. I'm sure the MAF data in some way conflicted with data from other sensors like wheel speed, etc.

I reinstalled the paper filter and all problems ceased immediately.

02Ocean224
02-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Never had any problems like that. I have a new transmission as of about 2 years ago and that is when I installed the K&N.

...Short story about transmission. Car had been into service for flaring and downshifting about 5x. "Sorry Sir, we can't find any issues." Then, it happened - I was in rush hour traffic going downhill in the fast lane in a tunnel doing about 50mph. WORST POSSIBLE SCENARIO! The car instantly downshifted to about 35mph and landed me, hanging by the seatbelt, over the steering wheel. SCREEEEEEECH! was the only sound I could hear from behind. Luckily, no one hit anyone. When I got home, I fished down to the yellow dipstick and the fluid was black as tar. Car went back to the dealership, I threw my keys at the Service Advisor, and told him to call me when they installed a new transmission or gave me a new car.

Volvo for life, not till death do us part!

Allen
02-26-2009, 02:11 AM
Never had any problems like that. I have a new transmission as of about 2 years ago and that is when I installed the K&N.

...Short story about transmission. Car had been into service for flaring and downshifting about 5x. "Sorry Sir, we can't find any issues." Then, it happened - I was in rush hour traffic going downhill in the fast lane in a tunnel doing about 50mph. WORST POSSIBLE SCENARIO! The car instantly downshifted to about 35mph and landed me, hanging by the seatbelt, over the steering wheel. SCREEEEEEECH! was the only sound I could hear from behind. Luckily, no one hit anyone. When I got home, I fished down to the yellow dipstick and the fluid was black as tar. Car went back to the dealership, I threw my keys at the Service Advisor, and told him to call me when they installed a new transmission or gave me a new car.

Volvo for life, not till death do us part!

Wow! Crazy story. :eek:

Sometimes I wonder how long my tranny's going to last. I had my fluid changed a few weeks ago, and the tech said the fluid was black.

02Ocean224
02-26-2009, 10:25 AM
A few weeks ago I had IPD install an inline magnafine filter on the tranny for added insurance. It took 8 minutes including adding an IPD decal to the fairing on my rack. My original tranny failed just under 50,000 miles and I am babying this one. What's your mileage?

Allen
02-26-2009, 11:23 AM
A few weeks ago I had IPD install an inline magnafine filter on the tranny for added insurance. It took 8 minutes including adding an IPD decal to the fairing on my rack. My original tranny failed just under 50,000 miles and I am babying this one. What's your mileage?

sjonnie
02-26-2009, 12:08 PM
I fished down to the yellow dipstick and the fluid was black as tar.

Check engine oil and coolant levels every time you fill up with gas. Check transmission, brake and power-steering fluid every time you do an oil change. Check tire pressures and tire wear every time you make a road trip. These are just small checks that take a few seconds but can save you huge headaches by preventing situations like the one descibed above. Plus you get a better feel for how your car is functioning and can spot something abnormal almost immediately.

02Ocean224
02-26-2009, 12:36 PM
That was before I was ENLIGHTENED to the fact that there even was a yellow dipstick. The car was brand new to me and was bought CPO. The transmission thing started happening right away. It took many months of going back and forth between three different dealerships about transmission issues. All three claimed that it was a sealed unit and could not be checked without ripping into the transmission. I trusted that (why not, all three said it) and did not research it any further. I figured, I have a warranty until 2011, so what do I care. It was the day I hit the dash, that I read a post here or on SS that I learned of the yellow dipstick and where it was.