PDA

View Full Version : 99' V70 XC Timing Belt

Volvos3
02-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Anyone have some good info on how to change a 99' V70 XC timing belt? Pics? I got the cam tool and Stoopid A$$ DVD from IPD that show nothing.

Please any help would be great. It has 118k miles and has never been changed. I am afraid to even drive it.

Thanks So much.

binglax09
02-26-2009, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't drive it! It's a time bump..

Anyway, it's pretty straight forward

- jack the passangers side up
- take the wheel off
- move the plastic wheel well out of the way (folds up to the right)
- move the coolent and PS resivoir out of the way
- take TB cover off
- remove the serp belt
- remove the crank pulley
- set the timing on the crank and the cam gears
- lock the exhaust cam (left one)
- take the belt off
- install WP, and both pulleys
- install timing belt
- set tensioner per IPDs instruction (it's tempature dependent)
- torque the pulleys to I believe it's 45Nm

That's about it, pretty basic. I will see I can I get you a full alldata screen shot here in a sec.

JRL
02-26-2009, 05:23 PM
www.matthewsvolvosite.com
Pretty sure they have a pictorial somewhere there, it's a DYI site

Volvos3
02-26-2009, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't drive it! It's a time bump..

Anyway, it's pretty straight forward

- jack the passangers side up
- take the wheel off
- move the plastic wheel well out of the way (folds up to the right)
- move the coolent and PS resivoir out of the way
- take TB cover off
- remove the serp belt
- remove the crank pulley
- set the timing on the crank and the cam gears
- lock the exhaust cam (left one)
- take the belt off
- install WP, and both pulleys
- install timing belt
- set tensioner per IPDs instruction (it's tempature dependent)
- torque the pulleys to I believe it's 45Nm

That's about it, pretty basic. I will see I can I get you a full alldata screen shot here in a sec.

Replace Water Pump too?
lock the exhaust cam ? I have the locking tool.

Yea a data screen shot would be great. Also I looked on matthews website and diddnt find anything.

binglax09
02-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Replace Water Pump too?
lock the exhaust cam ? I have the locking tool.

Yea a data screen shot would be great. Also I looked on matthews website and diddnt find anything.
I would replace the water pump since the next time that it will be replaced is 223K which is a pretty long stretch for it to last. Some last 200K+ and some last under 150K. It's just not worth risking it since you will already be in there and it's a cheap part.

Volvos3
03-15-2009, 01:21 PM
I am Replacing the timing belt and water pump on my 99' XC today I am just about to put the new pump on. Do I need to put rtv gasket sealer on it? It comes with a gasket and the old one does not look to have rtv on it. Thanks for any response. Wish me luck.
Also what is the tork specs for the pump?

binglax09
03-15-2009, 05:50 PM
You can put some RTV on there but it's only really to hold it in place so you can get the pump on. I sometimes use some white liquid sealent that doesnt harden, although I can't ever remember the name of it. It starts with a C haha..

Anyway, If you want you can use a little RTV on one side to stick the gasket to the block making sure the dowels are in the right hole. Then install the pump..

I think the specs are 45Nm but I will have to double check..

Edit: Idono where I got 45 from! It's 17 Nm although that's through AllDATA and it really doesnt have the best track record for specs in my experience. I don't have VADIS installed on this comp so someone else can probably pull the up...

Volvos3
03-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks for all of your help. I replaced the belt and all is good. I drove it all day today :) Couple of notes though I found that the IPD Cam lock Tool was useless !! I had to rock the Intakecam back a little to get the belt on it right. when I did that I was able to rock it back into position with no effort taking all slack out of that side. Everything after was a breeze. I tell you I am glad to be able to work on my own cars with a little advice from the forums. It is way cheaper and more satisfying. :)[thumbup] Anyway I should be able to do this job in about 2 hours now. Thanks Again for all that helped.

binglax09
03-16-2009, 05:03 PM
haha, I'm glad you are with me on the total waste the locking tool is! even if the cam flops off a lobe it can be put back into position without issue.

Timing belts are cake once you get in there and look at what's going on. Deffinitly not worth paying someone else to do it.

$600-$800 at the dealer! NO WAY!

3p141592654
03-30-2009, 10:30 AM
No need to remove the crank pulley or lock the cams for a belt change on VVT engines. I just lined things up TDC before I removed the belt and made sure not to move anything. With a little fiddling it slips off the crank pulley just fine.

stanleydj
05-16-2010, 01:33 PM
I recently replaced my water pump in my 99 xc70 - using the procedure below. Not too hard. The new WP came with a paper gasket, so I used it with no gasket sealant. After a few days I noticed drips on the ground - the bolts weren't tightened enough so I retightened them and after a week the drip was back. Does anyone know what torque these WP bolts are supposed to be tightened to? (I'm afraid of stripping the threads so I've been erring on the side on too loose.) Thanks.