PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket replacement

arda
02-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Car is a 99 XC70 with 152K miles with maintanence records.
No sure 100% yet to if I have a coolant leak into the combustion chamber or not, but just wanted to check with you all with a possible head gasket replacement. Car does not overheat, no sign on coolant in oil, havent done a compression check on cylinders yet. I am just trying to see if this job can be a DIY. I have dealt with motorcycle engines, and valves, and gaskets, but never on a car. I have downloaded VADIS and looked at the procedure for replacing the head gasket. Seems like there are some tool that can be improvised.

Here are my questions:

1) Taking the head off, there is a tool shown to seperate the head from the block. I saw on another forum someone actually damaged the head while removing it. Is there a specific way of taking the head off so no damage is done?

2)Other than making sure all the markings on the cams are right, crank is at the right position in relation with the cams, what precautions should be taken?

3)What type of cleaning should be done once the head is removed?

Cant think of anything else right now, but Im sure there things I am missing to ask.

Any advise/opinion is welcome!

lookforjoe
02-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Pay for a test - there are kits shops use that will detect exhaust gases in the coolant reservoir - a guaranteed sign of head gasket failure. If that's positive, then go ahead.

There are ways around the retaining tool for the upper engine cover - but if you don't remove it correctly & lift the cams straight out, you will break the ends of the cam seat area in the head. If you do not follow the removal pattern you will very likely also distort the cover and the head.

The head bolts need to be replaced. They are torqued in a specific pattern - you may need a very long breaker bar to crack 'em loose, BTW.

You need the Volvo sealant for the cam cover, and solvents that will remove all trace of the old hardened sealant.
Scotchpad discs can be used to clean off the piston crowns.

head gasket, bolts, 4 cam seals, 5 head orings, t/belt, tensioner, water pump, serpentine belt, int & exh gaskets, Oil trap & hose kit, t/stat, upper & lower rad hoses, maybe heater hoses if those are also original. All new vacuum lines while you're at it...

VolvoSpeed has many members doing this on a regular basis, you may want tp post in the repair/maint section over there...

binglax09
02-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Always keep in mind that head gaskets on these cars are very rare to go bad so really test everything first!

Hussain is spot on with everything, very good advice. Although I don't replace head bolts unless it's the third time around.

arda
02-28-2009, 11:19 AM
The more I read, and the more I inspect the car, I do not think there is a head gasket issue. I am just preparing myself for the worst case, and have 1 week of free time next week. Havent gotten the exhaust gas test in coolant yet, but once I know what the result is, it would bt much more clear. I also thought maybe I was burning coolant b/c the O2 sensors are both bad ( have the CEL on for the O2 sensors, front and back) . Maybe the vapor was messing them up, b/c the previous owner showe me he replaced those 9 months ago, and in the last 3 months CEL was on. A bad CAT is also possible.

Well without getting out of focus, i basically wanted to know if I could do this job myself in 1 week with regular garage tools, and VADIS information.