PDA

View Full Version : Wastegate Mod?...

02Ocean224
02-16-2009, 10:02 AM
I noticed on "that other site" a thread on adjusting the wastegate. Is this something that will work on an 02 V70XC or is this something that will send me to the dealer holding my head in shame? JRL? You did it to your R, should I steer clear or proceed with caution. Please advise.

JRL
02-16-2009, 02:14 PM
It works on ALL Volvo turbos and will help an XC (LPT) too.
Tighten the rod about ONE (1) turn, you should experiencesome more "snap" at take off as the boost will come on a bit quicker.
I would keep this to one turn only on an LPT engine.

If nothing else, any "sluggishness" will go away

Forkster
02-16-2009, 05:38 PM
It works on ALL Volvo turbos and will help an XC (LPT) too.
Tighten the rod about ONE (1) turn, you should experiencesome more "snap" at take off as the boost will come on a bit quicker.
I would keep this to one turn only on an LPT engine.

If nothing else, any "sluggishness" will go away
Tighten rod? Ok, I'm ears. What rod? [happy]

JRL
02-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Sigh:confused:
Happy reading
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=104485&page=1

sjonnie
02-16-2009, 07:38 PM
you should experiencesome more "snap" at take off
I always take off like my Grandma anyway in order to prevent anything snapping, oh, and to save gas :D

02Ocean224
02-17-2009, 11:08 PM
JRL, on an 02 V70XC - one turn and ONE TURN ONLY!?! I am only confirming because the thread that you referenced said 1/2 to 2/4 (3/4 [happy]) for 99-00. I want to be sure I do this right. I also read that my model may not have a thimble. Is this correct? It is rainy and cold outside (you know) and I want to make sure I have the facts BEFORE I start.

ifnt420
02-17-2009, 11:48 PM
JRL, on an 02 V70XC - one turn and ONE TURN ONLY!?! I am only confirming because the thread that you referenced said 1/2 to 2/4 (3/4 [happy]) for 99-00. I want to be sure I do this right. I also read that my model may not have a thimble. Is this correct? It is rainy and cold outside (you know) and I want to make sure I have the facts BEFORE I start.

All Volvo turbos have wastegate rods/thimble, your MY02 is equipped with a TD04-13T.
One turn is correct.

JRL
02-18-2009, 06:16 AM

Just a good rule of thumb (for an LPT) if you're doing this by feel only.

ChazzyD
02-18-2009, 08:56 AM
So what is the base pressure setting supposed to be for our LPTs using a Mity vac? I would think checking the base pressure first and setting that correctly would be a good starting point before monkeying beyond that. Probably a good "tune up procedure" even if not wanting to monkey beyond factory specs. Than step two, what would you want to turn it up to on a LPT if you wanted to get silly? I know you are saying, not beyond 1 turn, but what is the pressure we are looking to adjust to and not beyond on a low pressure turbo setup?
Charles

JRL
02-18-2009, 10:39 AM
No idea, do your own research
Probably around 6

ChazzyD
02-18-2009, 11:55 AM
What I'm finding on Turbobricks is: base is 1.5 PSI and it can be raised to 5-6 PSI safely. Not sure I want to try this, but maybe I will check to see where mine is currently at. It's the wife's car, she might get suspicious if I go tweaking under the hood (though not unusual in itself) and than she can't stop spinning tires thereafter. ;)
Charles

JRL
02-18-2009, 12:01 PM
If you want to go thru all that, be my guest.
I have adjusted about 6 of these, in only ONE (1) instance I overturned the rod and this was the 2nd one I did.
My thinking was one turn is good, 3 turns would be great, (NOT)!
This is why I say do one turn, most of the time with a stock engine it works just fine.

02Ocean224
02-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Didn't Chaz start another thread saying his dealership support just went up in smoke?

ChazzyD
02-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Yep, and the Kia, Chrysler, Jeep, Infiniti, Dodge, Piaggio/Vespa dealerships in Chatt. and Prebul's Mazda, Buick, Cadillac, and GMC dealerships in Dalton. Way to go Joe! [nonono] At least they still have a non Prebul owned Volvo dealer in Dalton, which isn't too far away from Chattanooga. I hope they are prepared for extra business!

Anyway, I trust that one turn will work well, I just would like to establish a baseline before the tweeking. Just not sure the Mity Vac has an accurate enough gauge on it to trust it. So that brings me back to just turning the adjuster one turn and trying it out as JRL says. :p I guess the point is to set it to the hot side of factory spec v. "slower" side of spec. I will mark it so that I can return it if it is too much or causes a CEL.
Charles

ifnt420
02-19-2009, 07:51 AM
What I'm finding on Turbobricks is: base is 1.5 PSI and it can be raised to 5-6 PSI safely.
Charles

Negative...

From my boost gauge, stock XC70 runs about 0.6bar (8~9psi) of boost, Stage 1 ECU will turn it up to 1bar (14~15psi).

ChazzyD
02-19-2009, 07:56 AM
For a baseline wastegate actuator setting on our low pressure turbos is 8-9 psi? Doesn't sound like low pressure to me (but I'm no turbo expert, just an occasional Turbobricks reader)?
Charles

ifnt420
02-19-2009, 08:30 AM
For a baseline wastegate actuator setting on our low pressure turbos is 8-9 psi? Doesn't sound like low pressure to me (but I'm no turbo expert, just an occasional Turbobricks reader)?
Charles

Stock HPT S60T5 or S60R runs 1~1.2bar stock, and will hit 1.6~1.7bar after stage 1 tune. [thumbup]

Jeremy
02-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Charles

Per VADIS the LPT on the XC is set at 12.5kPa =1.82 psi This is the pressure applied to the control actuator and the the rod is adjusted to a "free" fit on the arm in the closed position.

Now how this relates to the amount of boost I don't know.

As far as the boost pressure is that the manifold pressure? Wouldn't that change as the throttle is opened and load applied? To know the amount of boost don't you also have to know the starting pressure if your reading the actual MP to figure the amount of boost supplied?

I adjusted my XC last night one turn and it seems to have improved the "lag" off of idle. FYI- the heat shield is a bear to get off due to the tube running across the top. I found that I could just slide it across to get the access to may the adjustment.

Jeremy

Forkster
02-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Can somone post a picture of where this heatshield is located? I've seen the pictures of the wastegate, but not exactly where it's located.

Jeremy
02-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Can someone post a picture of where this heatshield is located? I've seen the pictures of the wastegate, but not exactly where it's located.

Looking from the topside of engine, look to rear, just under the cross bar for the engine mount. It is the heat shield on top, center. The turbo and wastegate are underneath it. Three bolts hold it in place. Slide to passenger side rather than trying to remove it.

Chicho
02-20-2009, 12:28 AM
This will give a good idea into the matter.

http://www.tuneyfish.com/video_player.php?vid=235

Forkster
02-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Looking from the topside of engine, look to rear, just under the cross bar for the engine mount. It is the heat shield on top, center. The turbo and wastegate are underneath it. Three bolts hold it in place. Slide to passenger side rather than trying to remove it.
[thumbup]

t/y

Forkster
03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
When turning the wastegate, do I tighten it or loosen it to gain boost?

ChazzyD
03-10-2009, 05:23 PM
You will want to shorten the rod, so tighten.
Charles

JRL
03-10-2009, 08:14 PM
You will want to shorten the rod, so tighten.
Charles

No more than ONE complete turn

rmyin
03-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Gentlemen, this modification baffles me. :confused:

By adjusting the wastegate actuator rod should have no affect on the boost pressure.

Only thin I can think of is if the original wastegate rod was not adjusted properly and therefore causing you to loose pressure prior to reaching your max boost. This is very possible but if the pressure is too low, there should be a code recorded.

For all those thinking adjusting more is good, pls be careful. What you are effectively doing is making it hard for your turbo to dump it's access boost pressure. This can have a negative affect on your engine.

Aviator
03-11-2009, 02:19 PM
By adjusting the wastegate actuator rod should have no affect on the boost pressure.

It will hold the boost for a tiny bit longer before releasing.....pressure is resistance to flow, right? I agree with you however....this is not something you want to mess around with, without a vacuum gauge handy; I've seen more than enough intake manifolds loosened off!!!

Dave.

JRL
03-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Most importantly the boost comes on a bit quicker which gives you a much better drive 0 to 30 MPH, much snappier off the line

brbevil
07-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Just did this modification and I am so excited - really wakes up the car! Make the car feel so much more responsive.

kamiar
02-15-2010, 10:18 AM
I did this last night, i turned the thing 1.5 turn (360' + 180'),

I assumed you guys meant 360' by 1 turn, is that correct?

kamiar
02-24-2010, 12:18 AM
I assumed you guys meant 360' by 1 turn, is that correct?

JRL
02-24-2010, 05:29 AM
Yes

kamiar
02-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Yes

Thanks Jim, I did 1 and a half turn around a week ago, all seems fine but not much a difference, going to do one more turn and see how it works, will report back...

Forkster
02-24-2010, 08:28 AM
If adjusting your wastegate doesn't do much, your Turbo Control Valve may be faulty or you have a leak in the turbo lines.

kamiar
02-24-2010, 01:52 PM
If adjusting your wastegate doesn't do much, your Turbo Control Valve may be faulty or you have a leak in the turbo lines.

What are the symptoms of a failing TCV? will it throw a code? how to check for a leak?

kamiar
02-24-2010, 10:55 PM
I did another 1/2 turn, it makes it 2 full turn now, all is good now, maybe 1 more turn?

Huzer21
09-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Hmm, not the rod and thimble setup I was expecting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/TifosiF1/IMG00020.jpg

Aviator
09-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Hmm, not the rod and thimble setup I was expecting. I put the heat shield back on and backed away.

??? Don't understand why.....loosen the jamb nut, remove the clevis pin, lift the clevis off the wastegate lever, turn it the desired number of turns, then put it back together and tighten up the jamb nut. Don't forget to pick up the stray bolt. Simple as pie!!

Dave.

Huzer21
09-11-2010, 04:18 PM
??? Don't understand why.....loosen the jamb nut, remove the clevis pin, lift the clevis off the wastegate lever, turn it the desired number of turns, then put it back together and tighten up the jamb nut. Don't forget to pick up the stray bolt. Simple as pie!!

Dave.

Oh, primarily I didn't trust reusing the pin, and I didn't have any spares on hand.

Aviator
09-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Oh, primarily I didn't trust reusing the pin, and I didn't have any spares on hand.

A cotter pin will work, as will a small finishing nail (bend it).

Dave.

Huzer21
09-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Didn't think of the finishing nail. I picked up some cotter pins (didn't have any around) and will give it a go tomorrow.

Aviator
09-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Should work out for you no problem. Good luck! Helps to have a pencil magnet handy too, to help hold onto parts or pick up dropped ones.

Dave.