PDA

View Full Version : Emission system service required - WTF

dude65
02-15-2009, 08:45 PM
We're getting a "Emission system service required " light on the dash of our 2001 Cross Country.

Any ideas.

NOTE: Car had a new transmission only 4 weeks ago.

BLUEH20
02-15-2009, 10:21 PM
There are certain emission control items on every vehilce sold in the United States that have time and/or mileage shelf lifes.

The vehicle is designed to report that the appropriate interval has been reached and these items require service or replacment.

I am not knowledgable to the point if you can reset the indicator with a non-Volvo DRB.

The real kicker is that if a licensened tech/shop jst reset the lamp to off there are possible fines and loss of livelyhood.......

And then--you may just have a failure of a system critical item--that should throw a code and you can check that out with any DRB.

Let us know what you find out.

Willy
02-16-2009, 01:28 AM
I think the message indicates a fault, not to warn that a predetermined interval (distance or time) is passed.
The Service Reminder Indicator (SRI) lights when the car needs routine maintenance (at least according to Volvo :o),
I believe this message indicates something is not functioning as it should.
Willy

dude65
02-16-2009, 07:47 PM
This morning it really it hit the fan.
Left home to drop the little dude at daycare and got about 500 metres before the brakes failed completely and the engine started running like only 4 cylinders were working.

Back at the mechanics now. Somehow I can't help thinking that this is all related to the recent transmission overhaul.

I'll let you know.

Gavin

MoeB
02-16-2009, 08:01 PM
It's possible that the transmission work did lead to some or all of your problems. It takes a lot of unbolting, loosening, part removal, tugging and pulling to put a new unit in. Bolts can get overlooked, undertorqued, bent, stretched, etc. if the tech isn't paying attention. Your emissions warning might be due to an exhaust system leak caused by the engine being jacked around too much, for example.

Aviator
02-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Sounds like you might have lost vacuum to your brake booster; hence the lack of brakes, and rough engine.

Dave.

jdp6000
02-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Sounds like you might have lost vacuum to your brake booster; hence the lack of brakes, and rough engine.

Dave.

Thats exactly what it sounds like. Vacuum leak somewhere.

Jim

dude65
02-22-2009, 04:30 PM
And that's exactly what it was Ladies & Gents.

Still trying to work out how the thing stayed together for 8 years and then comes apart 4 weeks after having the transmission replaced. Like MoeB says I guess

You've all been a big help -cheers
Gavin