PDA

View Full Version : relentless check engine light

zprovo
02-09-2009, 08:55 PM
ok I'm soliciting suggestions...

I have a 2000 XC SE 103,450 miles and the check engine light is on, actually it goes off and on....for the past year. the volvo dealer didn't find any codes, reset the light...and it came back on just before I got home. Called the dealer and they pretty much said that they didn't know what was wrong but they could start replacing things until the light stays out....that sounded expensive. Unfortunately I can't register the car in tennessee with the CEL on so I'm starting to get a little frustrated with a car that drives GREAT and shows no symptoms of anything being wrong, except the light

some history:
I bought the car last november with the check engine light, tracs, and abs light on. I had the abs module rebuilt, the tracs and abs lights went off, but not the CEL.
I have since also replaced the positive battery cable to the fuse box, and sparkplugs.
any thoughts would be appreciated, I've got nothing to lose and I like tinkering with the car

thanks
Zach

db130
02-10-2009, 06:44 AM
ok I'm soliciting suggestions...

I have a 2000 XC SE 103,450 miles and the check engine light is on, actually it goes off and on....for the past year. the volvo dealer didn't find any codes, reset the light...and it came back on just before I got home. Called the dealer and they pretty much said that they didn't know what was wrong but they could start replacing things until the light stays out....that sounded expensive. Unfortunately I can't register the car in tennessee with the CEL on so I'm starting to get a little frustrated with a car that drives GREAT and shows no symptoms of anything being wrong, except the light

some history:
I bought the car last november with the check engine light, tracs, and abs light on. I had the abs module rebuilt, the tracs and abs lights went off, but not the CEL.
I have since also replaced the positive battery cable to the fuse box, and sparkplugs.
any thoughts would be appreciated, I've got nothing to lose and I like tinkering with the car

thanks
Zach

zach, unless we know what the actual check engine light code is, we can't help you. you can get your code read at most national auto parts chains for free, or you can invest in a OBDII scanner. the alternative would be to find another volvo dealer.

zprovo
02-10-2009, 11:02 AM
that's the weird frustrating thing, the volvo dealer said there was no code stored, so they cleared the light. then it popped back on. I bought an OBDII reader and check it every time the light pops on and it reads clear...no codes. strange.

konwinski
02-10-2009, 04:46 PM
It could possibly be a transmission code. Regular OBDII code readers can't get trans codes. But I would think that the dealer would have gotten the trans code. Good luck. I have been trying to get a diagnosis for quite a while even though I DO have the codes.

Good luck

Ken

PaperToast
02-10-2009, 10:15 PM
dump you dealer and go to the guys in my sig.
they are in Franklin which isnt too far from you.
the parts guys there are awsome.
call the service manager Dan Devine and ask for ellis manchester.
check out these reviews http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?showtopic=16611

MattyB_N_Va
02-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Hey Zach, I too have a '00 XC SE that had a constant check engine light. It may be your 02 sensor. Once I replaced that, the light went away. Check out www.ipdusa.com for the part.

zprovo
02-22-2009, 07:16 PM
thanks mattyb! I was actually out in the driveway replacing the O2 sensors as you were posting that...t
he CEL kicked back on and with it 8:eek: fault codes...
(I didn't know it at the time, but I tripped the emissions system fuse at some point during the install) I replaced the fuse and we will see if that did the trick.

KCarroll007
02-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Zack

My daughter bought a 2000 XC Turbo with the dash light on. Checked at local parts house showed 11 codes. Talked to a friend who's son works at a Foriegn Car repair shop. He says OBD scanners are confused by VADIS codes and will give you false reading. So I paid $42 to have the car scanned at the Foriegn car shop.
None of the codes that we saw at the parts house were there. They only found 4 codes. Since then we have repaired the ABS, changed the coolant temp sensor, the thermostat and the cam reset valve sensor. But even after all that the light is still on. I purchased an OBDII Scanner and when I clear the codes, they come right back but they are now
P0031 O2 Sensor bank 1 sensor 1 heat circuit low
P0445 Evap purge valve
P0448 Evap Emission circuit
P0245 Turbo wastegate solenoid
P1655 Mfg Control Auxiliary Input and Output
This car is really confusing me. Seems to be running fine but can't get rid of these annoying codes.

Does anyone know how to clear Volvo codes without going to a dealer or having special equipment?? I have tried removing the battery cable for 2 hours but still the light came right back on.

JRL
02-26-2009, 05:25 PM
You can't.
I mean you CAN but they will come right back, you still have (real) issues.

Once fixed and THEN the codes cleared they should not come back

binglax09
02-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Zack

My daughter bought a 2000 XC Turbo with the dash light on. Checked at local parts house showed 11 codes. Talked to a friend who's son works at a Foriegn Car repair shop. He says OBD scanners are confused by VADIS codes and will give you false reading. So I paid $42 to have the car scanned at the Foriegn car shop.
None of the codes that we saw at the parts house were there. They only found 4 codes. Since then we have repaired the ABS, changed the coolant temp sensor, the thermostat and the cam reset valve sensor. But even after all that the light is still on. I purchased an OBDII Scanner and when I clear the codes, they come right back but they are now
P0031 O2 Sensor bank 1 sensor 1 heat circuit low
P0445 Evap purge valve
P0448 Evap Emission circuit
P0245 Turbo wastegate solenoid
P1655 Mfg Control Auxiliary Input and Output
This car is really confusing me. Seems to be running fine but can't get rid of these annoying codes.

Does anyone know how to clear Volvo codes without going to a dealer or having special equipment?? I have tried removing the battery cable for 2 hours but still the light came right back on.

I would work on one code at a time here, you might have an issue with the top three being one issue causing all four codes. Sounds to me like a vacuum leak some place in the evap system which is causing O2 read out issues. Although it being heat circuit, I would go on the side of needing a front O2 sensor.

As for the other codes, if you run with a closed waste gate due to a bad TCV then you could have some issues but I'm not seeing an overboost code so that's good.

If it was my car, I would get the EVAP stuff figured out first along side checking for vacuum leaks. If nothing came up then I would install an O2 sensor upstream (first O2). I would also replace the TCV solenoid ASAP to get that issue resolved.

As for reading codes, a generic code reader should not have any issues. It wont read tranny codes but it will read engine management codes.

zprovo
03-01-2009, 11:23 AM
ok! 250 miles no CEL and the car runs better than ever! really seems like a new car.
the blown fuse took care of all 8 codes (so far)
I hate to say this, but my install of the front O2 sensor caused the fuse to blow...the lead got fouled on the steering column and clipped through the casing...popping the fuse (yes I realize this makes me look like a hack, but I'll be more careful next time [cool2] )
thanks for everyone's help!

zprovo
03-01-2009, 11:46 AM
it was the lead to the rear O2 sensor that fouled on the steering column, NOT the front O2 sensor...sorry.

binglax09
03-01-2009, 03:04 PM
I had this same thing happen to me on a VW.

The fuel pump fuse kept on blowing, which resulted in having to use a 30amp fuse. It worked but not a safe way to keep the car!

Anyway, it turned out that the heat shield had fallen on top of the O2 sensor and caused it to cut through the wiring. For some weird reason the heated O2 sensor circuit was on the same fuse as the fuel pump!

Not fun chasing wiring issues to say the least.

MattyB_N_Va
03-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Check ipdusa.com for a TCV. They sell one, and it's not hard to replace. Go ahead and buy the tubing as well. It makes sense to replace the 6 or 7 feet since they get fairly hot and deteriorate quickly.