PDA

View Full Version : Rear wipers upgrade?

goldxc70
02-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Since the beginning of the winter, I've noticed my rear wiper does a pretty poor job especially in icy weather. Generally speaking, it only cleans the inner half of its "arc" and this is a new Volvo wiper blade.

While at the dealers earlier today (oil change, new Gislaveds, exhaust hanger), I was looking at the newer models and wondered if their wiper blade does a better job. Then I wondered if I could fit this to my '04.

Anyone got any ideas or tried this?

OKCXC70
02-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Basically, two things make a wiper not wipe good: The rubber is shot and/or the spring is losing its oomph to hold the wiper tightly against the glass. Since you have a new wiper, you probably need a new wiper arm.

On a side note, here in OKC when there is going to be "bad" weather, I laugh when I see people putting their wiper arms up or out from their cars. The wiper still freezes and the glass still freezes, so I have no idea what they are trying to accomplish except springing the springs.

goldxc70
02-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Basically, two things make a wiper not wipe good: The rubber is shot and/or the spring is losing its oomph to hold the wiper tightly against the glass. Since you have a new wiper, you probably need a new wiper arm.

On a side note, here in OKC when there is going to be "bad" weather, I laugh when I see people putting their wiper arms up or out from their cars. The wiper still freezes and the glass still freezes, so I have no idea what they are trying to accomplish except springing the springs.

So would a new arm from a later model fit my 04 and has anybody done that? Or has anyone noticed that the new style wiper arm and blade is better than the older type?

On your side note, I notice the same thing here in Toronto. It's like a contagious disease: once one person does it here in our parking lot, more and more people copy them. I must take a photo some day :)

dcandmc
02-04-2009, 11:42 AM

I think many people do that to avoid damaging the wiper and/or wiper arm when clearing ice and snow from the bottom part of the windshield. If the blade is frozen to the glass, there's a risk of damage as the ice and snow is chipped away. It's easier to clear the whole windshield when the blades are out of the way.

DYZ
02-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Simple. You don't want the wiper to freeze onto the windshield. If that happens you can easily damage the wiper when you try to get it loose and/or when you try to scrape the ice off the windshield.

Also, make sure to do a good job getting the ice off the windshield before using the wiper; if there are ice bumps left on the windshield the wiper can be damaged when it swings over them. With good care I'm still on my original wipers after four and half New England winters.

DYZ

goldxc70
02-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Simple. You don't want the wiper to freeze onto the windshield. If that happens you can easily damage the wiper when you try to get it loose and/or when you try to scrape the ice off the windshield.DYZ
Figured as much but .... IME using the defroster will take care of this problem in minutes. And winters here in Toronto are probably very similar to yours in NE.

pathill
02-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Since the beginning of the winter, I've noticed my rear wiper does a pretty poor job especially in icy weather. Generally speaking, it only cleans the inner half of its "arc" and this is a new Volvo wiper blade.

While at the dealers earlier today (oil change, new Gislaveds, exhaust hanger), I was looking at the newer models and wondered if their wiper blade does a better job. Then I wondered if I could fit this to my '04.

Anyone got any ideas or tried this?

You can bring along a sample of your wiper type or get a picture of it and show it to the dealers. Well, I assume the dealers knows best what fits your wiper needs.[happy]

Willy
02-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Figured as much but .... IME using the defroster will take care of this problem in minutes. And winters here in Toronto are probably very similar to yours in NE.
True, it only takes a few minutes. But if the windshield wipers are engaged and the transmission
is put in reverse, the rear wiper may (try to) wipe even before it is free!
Therefore, I think it may be a good precaution to fold the wiper arm away from the glass.
Willy

goldxc70
02-05-2009, 01:14 PM
True, it only takes a few minutes. But if the windshield wipers are engaged and the transmission
is put in reverse, the rear wiper may (try to) wipe even before it is free!
Therefore, I think it may be a good precaution to fold the wiper arm away from the glass.
Willy

Willy, when I park my car, the wipers are never engaged :)

goldxc70
02-05-2009, 01:17 PM
You can bring along a sample of your wiper type or get a picture of it and show it to the dealers. Well, I assume the dealers knows best what fits your wiper needs.[happy]

Now why would I need to bring along a "sample" of my wiper type, when it is the Volvo replacement wiper blade as supplied by that dealer - as I mentioned previously. The dealer will only recommend what Volvo recommends for that MY. The question was has anybody tried the newer design on an older model and, if so, was it an improvement?

Aviator
02-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Willy, when I park my car, the wipers are never engaged

I think what he means is when you turn your front wipers on when it's raining and you're in park, then shift to reverse, the rear wiper will sweep to clear the rear glass, despite the rear wiper switch being off. It's one of those thoughtful gestures from Volvo. I tore both ends of my rear blade yesterday trying to de-ice my car. Friggin' ice crap we have here.....I'm sooooo sick of it. Winter blows dead bears!!!

Dave.

Willy
02-06-2009, 02:52 AM
I think what he means is when you turn your front wipers on when it's raining and you're in park, then shift to reverse, the rear wiper will sweep to clear the rear glass, despite the rear wiper switch being off. It's one of those thoughtful gestures from Volvo.
Dave.
Indeed, that's what I meant. If I am not mistaken, the rear wipers "follow" the mode of
the front wipers if reverse is selected, be it intermittent or constant wiping.
Willy

Jack
02-06-2009, 10:33 PM
...The question was has anybody tried the newer design on an older model and, if so, was it an improvement?

Two separate threads here (new vs. old style and rear wipe/front active) I think but....

I've talked with my service adviser about the wipers on my MY05 (new style) and the fact that they don't seem to work all that well. He said that some folks retrofit the earlier arms/blades to fix it. If I had the early style I certainly would not go to the new style. It may LOOK better but they don't really WORK all that well....at least here in snow country.

Willy
02-07-2009, 01:36 AM
My car is MY2004 and I don't have any complaints about the wiper action.
willy

goldxc70
02-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Indeed, that's what I meant. If I am not mistaken, the rear wipers "follow" the mode of
the front wipers if reverse is selected, be it intermittent or constant wiping.
Willy

Yes, I understand and greatly appreciate that mode!

When I park, I always switch off the wipers. This means that when I go to restart later, the frozen wipers, front and rear, will not be activated. I switch on defrost and rear heater and, two minutes later, all are unfrozen and ready for operation.

Of course, on other occasions, it is my wife and/or daughter who park the car and then we have a different story :(