PDA

View Full Version : Another Tire Question

tcmarkley
02-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Alright....so after researching hours on the internet and thought I had chosen my tires...I realized something.

The Pirellis that come stock on the vehicle are categorized as Light Truck/SUV Highway Tires.

I've heard a few suggestions to go with the Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds which is more a car/van tire.

So, does it matter what kind of tire I put on my XC70 as long as it is the right size?

JRL
02-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Sure, more or less, just check the load rating.
You don't want a flimsy tire if you load it up often

Grundig
02-02-2009, 07:34 PM
The xc70 calls for a V rated tire which is quite a high speed rating; you might say that you'll never drive that higher speed, but the issue is more one of sidewall strength. My S80 called for H rated tires. I put T rated Michelin Hydroedges on it; that was a mistake. That softer sidewall actually ends up rolling on it's side on harder cornering (and I don't drive too hard); the tire certainly showed it after 10,000 miles. I know that when I replace my tires this spring, I won't get anything on my xc70 that's less than an H rated tire . . .

JRL
02-03-2009, 09:03 AM
That can be compensated with higher tire pressures.
My favorite tire for most Volvos is the Conti Extreme Contact high performace all season
These too have a much softer sidewall. I conpensate by running about 3 to 5 lbs more pressure than I would with most other tires.

(Instead of 31-32 lbs, I run 35-36 and it seems to work just fine and they don't "roll over")

dlr97
02-03-2009, 12:47 PM
The xc70 calls for a V rated tire which is quite a high speed rating; you might say that you'll never drive that higher speed, but the issue is more one of sidewall strength. My S80 called for H rated tires. I put T rated Michelin Hydroedges on it; that was a mistake. That softer sidewall actually ends up rolling on it's side on harder cornering (and I don't drive too hard); the tire certainly showed it after 10,000 miles. I know that when I replace my tires this spring, I won't get anything on my xc70 that's less than an H rated tire . . .

I use Michelin Hydroedge at 38 psi, and I like them. I do drive rather quickly in corners when conditions are safe (and my wife is not with me...). I think they are superior in steering response to the OEM Pirellis even with both at 35 psi. They show almost no wear after 16K miles.

chsxc70
02-08-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm getting four Firestone Firehawk GT tires put on my 04 XC70 on Tuesday (currently have Pirelli Scorpion STR 215/65R16 98V). I've been researching replacements for a while and I, too, had decided against spending the money for the very soft, V-rated OEM Pirelli tires. The Firehawk GT has a 98H load/speed rating plus the M+S designation that the Pirelli does. The tread looks great for ice and muddy weather driving, and the tires can be rotated to any position (some wet weather treads can only be rotated same side). Comparing the Firehawk (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+GT&partnum=165HR6FHGT) to the HydroEdge (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=HydroEdge), the Firehawk's tread looks better for off-road but not as good for highway travel. I was looking for good, all-weather, all-road condition tires - whether driving a few hours on the interstate or traversing dirt roads for a hiking trip. At right around $500 out-the-door with tax, I'm very hopeful that my pleasant history with Firestone does not sour. And incidentally, having the national warranty with Firestone is always a selling point.

n00bkiller944
02-09-2009, 03:10 PM
^^^I have four firestone firehawk GT's on my XC70 and absolutely love them! They are actually great on the highway you will be very suprised. I have been very pleased with these tires in every single category! Plus they look very aggressive which makes the car look a lot better IMO. You will be very pleased with you purchase, the only thing i ask is if you are paying to have them mounted and balanced? Because if not you might want to check on the price again, because i only paid about 340 (including shipping) and just mounted and balanced them myself at the shop I work at.

Overall I think you made a GREAT choice!