PDA

View Full Version : Electrical gremlins?

anthony8464
08-23-2003, 08:34 AM
Last wk our 2002 V70XC OR has 3 failures at once:
- The frnt psngr side elect. door lock won't work (manual only)
- The frnt psngr side window won't work (at least it was stuck in the closed position)
- and the Temp gauge reads " -- "

Then yesterday -- all items fixed them selves when I was messing w/ the power door locks.

Any ideas?  Is my car going to be an electrical nightmare once the warranty expires?

Thanks

BillAileo
08-23-2003, 09:56 AM
According to Volvo's wiring diagram Fuse Number 36 in the passenger compartment fuse box controls both the right front power lock and the right front power window.  Perhaps it's not quite seated perfectly?

PMack
08-23-2003, 11:53 AM
The lock on the rear driver's side door intermittently would not work automatically on my 2002 xc after about 6 months.  The dealer replaced the entire mechanism (warranty).

Now, the hatch lock is beginning to fail.

Art
08-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Speaking of electrical gremlins, has anyone had a problem with the display screen vanishing on their HU units? Over the weekend, I happened to notice it disappear immediately after starting the car. This phenomenon lasted for a few hours then returned back to normal after restarting. It has yet to re-occur. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

ifnt420
08-25-2003, 10:00 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Art @ Aug. 25 2003,21:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Speaking of electrical gremlins, has anyone had a problem with the display screen vanishing on their HU units? Over the weekend, I happened to notice it disappear immediately after starting the car. This phenomenon lasted for a few hours then returned back to normal after restarting. It has yet to re-occur. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Those who have owned a Land Rovers knows what its like to be haunted by the LUCAS gremlin. &nbsp;On my 96 Rangie, I had Radio Unit display failure, A/C Temp display failure, Outside Temp display failure.... the list goes on and on. &nbsp;
I wonder which maker in responsible for the majority of the electrical components/wirings in the XC?

littlewaywelt
08-26-2003, 06:05 AM
Intermittently occurring problems...I can relate. &nbsp;The bummer is when it works fine when you bring it in for service. I can relate. &nbsp;I have had the window motor/mechanism replaced once on each door (once it stuck open in January-brrr) and the locking mechanism replaced once on each door. &nbsp;I also had the locking cylinder (thing the key goes into) replaced once.

Is your car going to be a nightmare? &nbsp;I don&#39;t know, but I have the same concerns.

01XC BEN
08-16-2006, 06:39 AM
- The frnt psngr side window won't work (at least it was stuck in the closed position)
- and the Temp gauge reads &quot; -- &quot;

Then yesterday -- all items fixed them selves when I was messing w/ the power door locks.

Any ideas? &nbsp;Is my car going to be an electrical nightmare once the warranty expires?

Thanks
This is exactly the problem I am having. the pass door lock, window and mirror work fine, but some times I get in the car and the out side temp is not working then nothing on the pass door works either. Are these two things some how related??

Art
08-16-2006, 10:18 AM
This is exactly the problem I am having. the pass door lock, window and mirror work fine, but some times I get in the car and the out side temp is not working then nothing on the pass door works either. Are these two things some how related??

The sensor which measures the outside temperature is housed inside the passenger door side view mirror and is controlled and managed by the PDM (passenger door module) along with the other door functions. If the fuse for the right hand PDM checks out okay, I suspect it might have something to do with the wiring harness/connector or perhaps the PDM itself.

Have the dealer check for any stored DTC’s with respect to the PDM.

fl060
01-08-2007, 07:56 AM
< Originally Posted by anthony8464

Any ideas? &nbsp;Is my car going to be an electrical nightmare once the warranty expires?

Thanks>

My '02 V70XC:
- Driver's power window works intermittently
- Cruise Control works intermittently (seldom)
- High Beam Blue indicator light works intermittently (This bothers oncoming drivers because the high beams work and I don't always remember if they're on or not.)
- Service Engine light comes on and off intermittently
- Shift lever gets stuck in PARK intermittently (brake pedal micro switch?)
- Burns out light bulbs frequently (brake, headlight, fog light) and very difficult to replace.

My mechanic thinks the car is not grounded properly.

morten.xc70
01-14-2007, 12:06 PM
< Originally Posted by anthony8464

Thanks>

My '02 V70XC:
- Driver's power window works intermittently
- Cruise Control works intermittently (seldom)
- High Beam Blue indicator light works intermittently (This bothers oncoming drivers because the high beams work and I don't always remember if they're on or not.)- Service Engine light comes on and off intermittently
- Shift lever gets stuck in PARK intermittently (brake pedal micro switch?)
- Burns out light bulbs frequently (brake, headlight, fog light) and very difficult to replace.

My mechanic thinks the car is not grounded properly.

Hello..:)

Take a look at this thread regarding the high beam blue indicator light.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8383

So far I have no solution to this problem, but still waiting for any result from my service center, and the mechanic with the similar problem on his own car.

You also have some advice for troubleshooting this problem in this thread.
So far I have not performed any of them on my car, but will do so in the near future. Keep you update.[thumbup]

morten.xc70
01-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Hello..:)

Take a look at this thread regarding the high beam blue indicator light.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8383

So far I have no solution to this problem, but still waiting for any result from my service center, and the mechanic with the similar problem on his own car.

You also have some advice for troubleshooting this problem in this thread.
So far I have not performed any of them on my car, but will do so in the near future. Keep you update.[thumbup]

The mentioned thread is know updated with a solution for at least the issue related to high beam blue indicator light and some other issues that was related to the DIM and failure of some printed circuit board inside the DIM.