PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam Question

neilsland
01-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Following on from the engine sludge thread.
My engine looks like pic 2.
I want to de-sludge it using seafoam.
My question is, after adding it to the engine oil, how long do I run the car before an oil change? 10mins, 10 miles, 200 miles??
Can the seafoam damage the engine if left in too long? The instructions on the can are pretty vague.
Opinions greatly appreciated.

sjonnie
01-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Following on from the engine sludge thread.

Hehe, wrong forum buddy. Anyway, try reading this (http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm).

justthefacts
01-25-2009, 12:47 PM
neilsland is following on from this recent thread:
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12174
So, not the wrong forum.

sjonnie
01-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Haha, my bad

BLUEH20
01-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Just prior to your next oil and filter change--add the Sea Foam and take a nice highway drive. A lovely 60 to 100 miles will get it going nicely--when you get home, the the engine cool--just enough not to injure yourself.

Drain, replace filter element and refill with Mobil 1, or one of any other preimum synthics, 5W30 or 0W30 dependent on ow far north your located. From this point on stay with synthic oils and a change interval of approx 5000 miles or 6 months--whichever occurs first.

You should not see this issue again and your turbocharger will perform and last a lifetime. What is a lifetime-some die young, some; old in their beds asleep.

JRL
01-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Read the instructions.
Pour it in the 3 places, then run the engine for about 1/2 hour to an hour or until it stops being a cropduster. (You will know what I mean when you do this).

I then recommend changing the oil after that 1/2 hour or so, then try to drive it for a couple of more hours as soon as possible.
I suppose you can change the oil AFTER the 2 hour drive if you're so inclined.

Regardless, the oil should be changed fairly soon after the Seafoam treatment.

Grundig
01-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi Neilsland - I was active on the other thread, also worried about my fill neck and cap looking like #2 (literally).

I decided I would simply switch to synthetic with more frequent changes, since I'm a little spooked about adding an additive to the engine, especially since Volvo posts all over the place that it shoudn't be done. Nevertheless I think you can certainly have confidence in what JRL and the others say.

How about some before and after pictures? I know that there are going to be people interested in seeing what your outcome and experience will be. Please keep us updated.

Good luck and Godspeed . . .[happy]