PDA

View Full Version : confused by the ATF gauge marks!

plopband
01-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Just had trany flashed for my 01 xc70, using Gibson method. Before that there are a lot of jerks when shifting from 1st gear to 3rd gear, or going from the 3rd gear down to the 1st gear. It is effective. Now Have to be very sensitive to feel the little unsmooth on the shifting of low gears.

But what confused me is, when the car is hot, the ATF gauge shows a level right on the "cold" mark (lower mark); and when the engine is cold after hours of parking, the gauge shows an ATF level on the "hot" mark (higher mark). Is this the way supposed to be? How do you guys read the ATF level? Thanks.

Plopband

01 xc70, 135k, 50k trouble free miles since changing the ETM.

BillAileo
01-23-2009, 11:48 AM
The ATF should be read with the engine running and after, while holding your foot on the brake, placing the transmission into each setiing for several seconds before returning it to Park to do the reading. Is that how you got your readings?

plopband
01-23-2009, 12:53 PM
The ATF should be read with the engine running and after, while holding your foot on the brake, placing the transmission into each setiing for several seconds before returning it to Park to do the reading. Is that how you got your readings?

BillAileo,

I followed the steps exactly as you said. Somebody else in this forum also told me the steps to read the ATF level on a hot engine. But why the ATF level is high at the upper mark ("hot") of the gauge when the car is cold? Is it a sign of something wrong with the tranny?

Thanks,

BillAileo
01-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Plopband,
Good question. Wish I had an answer....

scolazz
01-23-2009, 01:56 PM
are you parked on a slope (even a small one) by any chance?

plopband
01-23-2009, 02:17 PM
are you parked on a slope (even a small one) by any chance?

Thanks Scolazz. It was in the garage, not a slope. In my mind, when the engine is running and hot, more ATF will be sucked from the bottom pan to the gear assembly. And, the ATF will be released back to the bottom pan and more ATF is stored in the pan when the car is cold. So, the "cold" mark should be on the upper position of the gauge bar anyway, rather than in the lower part of the bar. Not sure if my feeling is correct and need comments from gurus.

Plopband

johnny c
01-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Transmission fluid "expands" with heat. You should check fluid with vehicle up to operating temp, level ground with vehicle in park. It should read full hot. IF opposite, ?????

justthefacts
01-23-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm no guru, but readings should be taken with the engine running. That is, it should be running even for your cold reading. The "cold" marking does not imply that the engine should be off. Now the readings can be compared on an apples-to-apples basis, and the positioning of the marks makes sense.

sjonnie
01-23-2009, 03:37 PM
The real question is, how do you check the transmission fluid on a hot engine without burning yourself?? That darn dipstick!!

Aviator
01-23-2009, 03:51 PM
The real question is, how do you check the transmission fluid on a hot engine without burning yourself??

Build a longer dipstick!!

Dave.

howardc64
01-23-2009, 06:24 PM
The real question is, how do you check the transmission fluid on a hot engine without burning yourself?? That darn dipstick!!

Wear Mechanic gloves... Makes it so much easier. At least on one hand to get that hot radiator tube out of the way. Might need your bare fingers to fish out the stick.

plopband
01-26-2009, 06:46 AM

Not a problem. I often check it after at least miles of driving. Just tough the rubber and plastic parts, not the metal.

plopband
01-26-2009, 06:51 AM
I'm no guru, but readings should be taken with the engine running. That is, it should be running even for your cold reading. The "cold" marking does not imply that the engine should be off. Now the readings can be compared on an apples-to-apples basis, and the positioning of the marks makes sense.

I tried again this weekend. I ran the engine from cold status and read the ATF level is on "cold". Then keep it running for about 20 minutes and the engine reached a pretty high temp. The reading is still at "cold".

Any body has a 01 xc70 and may check the ATF for a comparison? Thanks.

billr99
01-26-2009, 07:38 AM
I tried again this weekend. I ran the engine from cold status and read the ATF level is on "cold". Then keep it running for about 20 minutes and the engine reached a pretty high temp. The reading is still at "cold".

Any body has a 01 xc70 and may check the ATF for a comparison? Thanks.

Although idling for 20 minutes should bring everything up to operating temp, I find that the tranny just doesn't get there. You would think that it would with the cooler being heated by rad water at 190. Best to run it up the road a few miles and back to get it all up to a good operating temp then do your level check. Remember that the low to full mark difference is only like 200 ml and to wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt to prevent you from being branded by the fitting on the intake (I actually have a permanent burn mark on my left arm thanks to this car!). I also use a graduated cup to top up if I find the level low. With that small a difference on the dip stick accuracy of measurement is helpful to get it right.

Good luck,

Bill

justthefacts
01-26-2009, 10:05 AM
It sounds like you are making progress, at least your cold reading is actually at the "cold" mark rather than the "hot" mark. I agree that idling the engine for 20 minutes is insufficient. I can offer this description from the owner's manual of my dear-departed Mercury Sable, which had a readily accessible transmission dipstick:

"Automatic transmission fluid expands when warmed. To obtain an
accurate fluid check, drive the vehicle until it is warmed up
(approximately 30 km [20 miles]). If your vehicle has been
operated for an extended period at high speeds, in city traffic
during hot weather or pulling a trailer, the vehicle should be
turned off for about 30 minutes to allow fluid to cool before
checking.
1. Drive the vehicle 30 km (20 miles) or until it reaches normal operating
temperature.
2. Park the vehicle on a level surface and engage the parking brake.
3. With the parking brake engaged and your foot on the brake pedal,
start the engine and move the gearshift lever through all of the gear
ranges. Allow sufficient time for each gear to engage.
4. Latch the gearshift lever in P (Park) and leave the engine running.
5. Remove the dipstick, wiping it clean with a clean, dry lint free rag. If
necessary, refer to Identifying components in the engine compartment
in this chapter for the location of the dipstick.
6. Install the dipstick making sure it is fully seated in the filler tube.
7. Remove the dipstick and inspect the fluid level. The fluid should be in
the designated areas for normal operating temperature."