PDA

View Full Version : Adding XM/Sirius

dovetailer
01-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi all,

New here and to Volvos. Just picked up my CPO '07 XC70 this evening. I'm already in love... :o

My first question... The car came with the Volvo iPod adapter, handsfree and an HU650. What can I do/do I need to do to add XM/Sirius without purchasing the $800 Volvo option? I'm keen to the idea of the XM CommanderMT but I am open to suggestions... I'm through with FM Modulators and cassette adapters.

Suggestions...?

Thanks!
Adam

rts1960
01-22-2009, 09:36 PM
If your vehicle is "Prepped" from Volvo for Sirius as mine was, the install is very simple.
It was literally a "plug and play" job that took about an hour. The pricing from the Volvo dealer to install this Sirius unit is crazy and I was told that once installed, they had to "re-flash" the ECU, blah blah blah....not true at all.
If car is prepped, the wire harness is already run and is routed through to the rear left inner quarter panel located in the Cargo area. You simply mount the receiver in bracket, attach one ground wire, a power wire and the connection to the head unit. You will then need to route the small Sirius antenna to a location that provides good Satellite exposure. The instructions suggest that you run the antenna all the way up front to the drivers quarter panel, ( just like the Hertz Rental cars) which I elected not to do. I ended up mounting it up on the rear roof line, which is cleaner and out of sight. If your car is not "prepped" you can have your dealer install the wire harness and you can do the rest yourself. I found my receiver on EBAY for about $200.00. Hope this helps;)

dovetailer
01-23-2009, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the reply, rts!

The dealer told me that the car is not Sirius prepped. What is involved then if I want to:

1) Have the dealer install the harness? Can they do so side by side with the existing iPod adapter? Then what would i be looking for on eBay? Just the Volvo receiver?

2) Go with a third party unit but not use the FM modulator as the interface option?

Thanks again,
Adam

Chenango21
10-23-2010, 04:48 AM
I just got an 07 xc70. The radio unit display does say "Sirius" on one of the settings (i.e. when your scroll thru fm1, fm2, am etc).

Does that mean I can just call Sirius to get a subscription? Anything complicated about activation?
Thanks,
Paul

Hmmm....thought I saw "Sirius" on display...but now I don't see it. Maybe I imagined it.

Chenango21
10-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Update:
I found the receiver in the rear panel drivers side....the reason it did not show in the display is that I was under a tree that interfered with reception. Now I think I just need to call Sirius and activate the device and fork over my credit card number.
Paul

callouscrab
10-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Paul, congratulations on your purchase. I bought mine (Ice White 2007 XC70) a week and a half ago and I also thought I saw the Sirius option. I will check to see if I have the receiver as well.

Edit: Found that it works! Let's see how long it lasts...

I don't see the handle in the rear on the driver's side panel which other commenters seem to be talking about - where should I be looking?

Chenango21
10-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Callouscrab...congrats on your 07 xc70 as well.

Do you mean your Sirius actually is playing? Mine shows "Sirius" but I have to buy the service....going to do the 30 day free trial later this week before we take the car on a long trip this weekend.

Rather than struggle to read the numbers on the unit, you can push "menu" and then turn the knob to "Satellite" and get the 12 digit radio identifier.

Not sure what handle you are referencing.

Paul

callouscrab
10-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Paul, never mind the handle - I was thinking of MELBUS prepped cars and not of satellite radio.

And, yes - it actually works! I was just fiddling with the stations the past couple of days...