PDA

View Full Version : BluePower's Fully Integrated HU

Art
01-21-2009, 11:54 PM
These sweet little units could be the answer for anyone considering a huge step up from their current HU. It appears that IPD will likely be handling US distribution once the unit passes tests with respect to compatibility and functionality. More details here. (http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=111928&page=1) [thumbup]

http://bluepower-import.se/03_16-09-2008/front.jpg

http://bluepower-import.se/200811/top.jpg

colin
01-22-2009, 01:16 PM
I have just arranged for sale of my first born as soon as these units become available in North America.;)

DYZ
01-22-2009, 04:14 PM
It does look really nice and blend well with the console. But what we cannot see is how it sounds - which to me is more important than the look.

DYZ

Art
01-22-2009, 05:09 PM
It does look really nice and blend well with the console. But what we cannot see is how it sounds - which to me is more important than the look.

DYZ

That's precisely the reason why IPD will be ground testing a sample unit in the following weeks to come. After that, I'm sure that you can count on them to provide a full and comprehensive review in terms of its overall compatibility and performance within our cars.

This thing looks really cool. Like others had mentioned, I had been working on putting together something with similar capabilities using an aftermarket head unit and accessory components, but nothing that would come close to the features this has even at 2-3 times the cost. Not to mention the integration and installation headaches the Bluepower resolves.

We have a sample unit on the way to us so we can test functionality and compatibility in US market cars and answer the many questions posted here. Should be in our hands early next week around the 28th.

We'll also shoot some video of the touch screen and navigation response times etc. and put them up on our site with more details on pricing, expected availability of the 3 different models ( 1 for 2001-2003 models, 1 for 2004 and one for 2005-2007 ). In the video we'll briefly cover the most common questions that have been asked here and we'll also post a link to the video here as well along with a pdf of the users manual for your downloading or viewing pleasure!
We'll be confirming compatibility with the latest ipod / iphone products with the new charging protocol.

We will determine if the installation will require a visit to your Volvo dealer for a software download ( AUM / Audio Module) and provide those details.

We have complied a list of all the questions from the 4 different threads here on SS and will post an FAQ to address those as well.

Lastly, we won't be taking any pre orders until we have had our hands on this thing and have a better understanding of it's capabilities and how it performs in our market and are able to have firm pricing and delivery information.

We'll update all posts as soon as we have any news.

Thanks!

TiredGeek
01-23-2009, 09:49 AM
When I Google BluePower I get no hits. Nothing, nadda, zilch. Where are they based? Europe pricing?

I'm gonna keep my eye on this as I like the look and capabilities of the thing.

Art
01-23-2009, 10:28 AM
TG,

BluePower is a Swedish based car tuner. From what I can glean from their website, their product range not only encompasses car audio components but they also carry an assortment of custom exterior/interior accessories from suspension/performance upgrades to racing seats to alloy wheels. It appears that they also have a showroom in Goteburg.

http://bluepower-import.se/

Below is a link to the PDF owner's manual for the BLP-840/890 HUs provided by IPD.

https://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/files/Bluepower.pdf

OKCXC70
01-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Art, I checked this out on the swedespeed forum. Why did I not see this before??? I would not have traded in my old 04!! Damn those S-60 people for keeping it under wraps! This would singlehandedly rocket the Volvo to the top of the most stolen vehicles list!!

DYZ
01-23-2009, 11:29 AM
We'll see what IPD will say about it after they get the sample. I hope it is not something like one of these that are selling for $300 on eBay:
http://www.mpowertab.com/02.jpg

Minus the Volvo fit, the eBay unit has almost the same features, even its GPS demo screen is the same as the BluePower.

DYZ

kamiar
01-23-2009, 11:50 AM
They are probably built by the same Chinese manufacturer [thumbup]

Art
01-23-2009, 07:54 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if BluePower did, in fact, outsource most/all its components from abroad. It seems that most goods nowadays already are. No doubt there will be plenty of questions and concerns raised about product origin, quality, warranty support, pricing, etc…but I also think that it's way too early to tell how this story will end until the test results are released and all concerns have been addressed. Needless to say, if IPD does end up marketing this product in the US, they'll have to stand behind it.

Best to stay tuned to those specific SS forums for the latest updates.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=111300&page=1
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=111928
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=111266
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=112059

Art
01-30-2009, 10:46 PM
If anyone is interested, IPD's preliminary review of the BP multi-media system, specs, in addition to several short You Tube videos has now been posted in the following thread.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=112059&page=2

Robert Arnold

Re: (robspec) » 9:09 AM 1-28-2009

Shipping times will be approx 8 business days from the supplier to us (assuming we take the product on) and then a few more days to your location depending on shipping method selected.

At this time we've had a moment to initially evaluate the unit and so far so good, however there are some interesting operating 'features' that may be more or less desireable depending on each user. So to provide some further information to address this, Scott and I will be putting together a quick video of how the unit operates.

We'll work to complete this by the first/middle of next week.

In the mean time here's some initial impressions;

Sound quality is quite good (have not confirmed center speaker operation)
GPS is accurate with a nice slanted 2D/3D interface
Bluetooth integration is similar to other bluetooth devices in the market (I would rate it a 6 out of 10 as far as call quality and latency)
Can play video direct from DVD or though a USB flash drive using either MPG or AVI
Can play MP3's from flash drive or though a burned CDR or DVDR
Ipod interface is a bit lacking for my personal preference and ipod play does not resume when interrupted with a phone call.
You can control the ipod directly or through the head unit
Has provision for TV out to rear display
Has provision for TV in from a backup cam or similar
Has provision for Aux input via 3.5mm jack that also supports component video
Two SD card slots, one is for GPS maps the other???

That's it for now!

twistab4pudd
10-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Hello all,

I also bought the BluePower BLP-890 and I just finished installing it, but now my rear defrost, and heated seat controls, on the climate control panel do not work.

Also when I use the heat or defrost, the right side of the car blows cold air now. I wasn't sure why this was happening, so I checked all fuses and relays, they were all fine.

I even went out and looked for a new climate control panel, found one and spent nearly a $100 on it, and it did not fix the problem.

I'm not sure what to do, has anyone heard of this problem? Please, if anyone can help, it is already in the 40's in Chicago, and half my car has heat, and the rear defrost does not currently work.

Thanks so much in advance,
Brian

P.S. I don't really want to go back to the stock unit

ifnt420
10-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Don't you need to reset the CCM via VIDA after disconnecting it?

Ocean Racer
10-18-2009, 09:29 PM
What sort of damage to the wallet are we expecting for these ?
Will the gps component work in Australia ?

twistab4pudd
10-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Don't you need to reset the CCM via VIDA after disconnecting it?

Hello, thanks for the prompt reply. I'm not sure what to do. My heated seats are permantly on, when the fuses are plugged in. I just can't use the controls for the heated seats, or rear defrost., on the control panel. When I try to push the rear defrost button, I can hear something clicking back there though!?

twistab4pudd
10-20-2009, 08:10 AM
What sort of damage to the wallet are we expecting for these ?
Will the gps component work in Australia ?

Well, I found mine on Ebay for just under $600 USD (brand new from Sweden.)

sargent
10-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Art - This is excellent news. I have been exploring aftermarket options and none as nice as this. Recognizing that IPD will sell it, who would you reccommend in Edmonton/ AB to install such a unit. Not withstanding the obvious answer being me. I have seen the work you have done on your own car, i don't trust myself with electronics.

Thanks.

MT71
10-20-2009, 05:17 PM
twistab4pudd, did you unplug your climate control? All your problem are related to the CCM. There is a special procedure to reconnect the climate control.

If you look in the resources section, you will find more info.

Ocean Racer
10-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Well, I found mine on Ebay for just under $600 USD (brand new from Sweden.)
huh?
I haven't seen any on ebay - ever :(

Art
10-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Art - This is excellent news. I have been exploring aftermarket options and none as nice as this. Recognizing that IPD will sell it, who would you reccommend in Edmonton/ AB to install such a unit. Not withstanding the obvious answer being me. I have seen the work you have done on your own car, i don't trust myself with electronics.

Thanks.

Scott,

According to the most recent posts in the SS link above, it doesn't appear that IPD has any plans to carry the product. I think there were a few hiccups relating to the earlier versions. ie mounting/fitment issue, functionality....That being said, Bluepower is working on further improvements and it now looks like they will be releasing the latest version near the end of the year which I imagine will also be offered for sale on ebay as they have done so in the past.

From what I understand, installation is pretty much plug and play as seen in the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktorS6w3jiE

twistab4pudd
11-03-2009, 09:40 AM
twistab4pudd, did you unplug your climate control? All your problem are related to the CCM. There is a special procedure to reconnect the climate control.

Yes, I had to unplug it. I'm a noob, but CCM = Climate Control Module? I had no idea that there was a special procedure to reconnect it. Now I'll have to try and find that link and give it a try.
Is it something I can do, or does Volvo have to get involved?

Thanks for all your help!!

Ozzie
11-03-2009, 10:25 AM
"Is it something I can do, or does Volvo have to get involved?"

The batttery needed to be disconnected prior to unplugging the CCM. The process for disconnecting and reconnecting the battery is in your car's manual.

When I did mine last weekend, I turned off the car,
1. Key in the ignition on "O"
2. Let it sit for 5 minutes,
3. Disconnected the negative cable from the battery
4. Disconnected the positive cable from the battery
5. Touched the postive and neagitve cables together for 10 minutes (making sure they never came in contact with the battery posts).

After I was done playing with the CCM and HU, I
1. Put the key into the ignition and turned it to the II position.
2. Reconnected the Positive cable to the battery
3. Reconnected the Negative cable to the battery
4. Took the key out of the ignition and using the FOB, locked and unlocked the doors several times
5. Started the car, checked that everything worked and drove to the 7/11 for a celebration coke slurppy

Search here and on SS for a other posts on this topic and confirm this protocol for your MY.

Unplugging the CCM without disconnecting the battery (after alllowing the car's computer to reset) usually means a trip the dealer and a $100 charge to reset the computer so all those climate control fucntions work. Most people also end up with an airbag warning..

Sorry to ramble

maka
11-12-2009, 05:00 PM
twistab4pudd,

Did you get steering wheel controls to work with BluePower unit? I've been looking for awhile for navigation system to install, and none I could find thus far (Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer) would work with Volvo steering wheel controls, at this this is what people claim.

Thanks.

twistab4pudd
04-09-2010, 08:30 AM

Yes, I did unplug it. Is the CCm problem something I could fix myself, or do I hae to take it to the dealership? I actually was just there and they did a diagnostics and did not mention anything related to this subject, they found nothing, but i also forgot to mention the problem. but if it is a CCM problem, shouldn't the dealership hae seen this through diagnostics?

Thanks for your help,
Brian

jda2000
04-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Did you disconnect the battery before you unplugged the CCM?

Try resetting the CCM computer board:
turn radio and AC fan off,
wait at least 5 min before you disconnect the battery,
disconnect battery for 30 min,
turn key to position II,
reconnect the battery.

Post back if it worked.

twistab4pudd
04-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Did you disconnect the battery before you unplugged the CCM?

Try resetting the CCM computer board:
turn radio and AC fan off,
wait at least 5 min before you disconnect the battery,
disconnect battery for 30 min,
turn key to position II,
reconnect the battery.

Post back if it worked.

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you happen to know if it will make my air bag light go on, or my air bag messages, or anything else I should be prepared for?

Thanks for the help,
Brian

jda2000
04-11-2010, 10:40 AM
The SRS light WILL NOT light up if you follow the procedure I gave you.

The SRS lights up when people disconnect SRS connectors without disconnecting the battery.

That's why, is so important to follow procedure when you are disconnecting electronic connections.

Adrian
04-11-2010, 10:58 AM
How are we on this product? I see that their page doesn't work any more :(

EDIT: Nevermind - http://www.bluepower.se/ works

Adrian
04-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Seems like they are out of stock, due to new versions. And if i'm right, controls on steeringwheel wil still work after retrofitting this baby :D

Forkster
04-11-2010, 02:17 PM
You will ONLY have issues with SRS and your climate controls when installing this unit IF YOU ACCIDENTIALLY DISCONNECT THE CLIAMTE CONTROL CONNECTOR WHILE THE BATTERY IS CONNECTED.

I know, I've done it. :D

Adrian
04-14-2010, 02:43 AM
Do you have a pic of the installed unit? :)

slalomskier
12-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Is there any update on these?

mhrir
12-13-2011, 09:58 AM
From what I've read, the BluePower Volvo nav unit was an epic fail. I don't think they are available any more.

Gabriele Feri
04-28-2012, 12:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgk6eRL7AsM&feature=youtu.be