PDA

View Full Version : T5 no oil pressure

jbathmaker
01-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi All,

I have had my T5 engined XC-90 parked for a week with two of the spark plugs out. I was able to re-install the two plugs today but the engine had a lot of snow on it. The engine started up fine but I got the no pressure warning text message after about 5 seconds. I checked the oil level and it's near the top of the mark.

I can't see how the oil pressure could go away while the car was parked. I think that it has to be that the sensor has gotten wet or something.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jon Bathmaker

BillAileo
01-19-2009, 04:53 AM
Oil pressure is not retained after the engine is turned off. It gets generated by resistance to the flow of oil generated by the oil pump. A no pressure warning could be generated by many different problems besides a sensor problem. If in fact you have no oil pressure and you operate the engine for any significant length of time you could cause serious damage. For a decent generic description of low oil pressure issues check out: http://www.aa1car.com/library/us1097.htm

billr99
01-19-2009, 06:18 AM
Hi All,

I have had my T5 engined XC-90 parked for a week with two of the spark plugs out. I was able to re-install the two plugs today but the engine had a lot of snow on it. The engine started up fine but I got the no pressure warning text message after about 5 seconds. I checked the oil level and it's near the top of the mark.

I can't see how the oil pressure could go away while the car was parked. I think that it has to be that the sensor has gotten wet or something.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jon Bathmaker

I agree that a "no pressure" situation can be mechanically-oriented, but the message is generated electronically rather than mechanically (ah, for the days of mechanical oil pressure gages!). The plugs being out of the engine have nothing to do with this (have to ask why though?). The facts point to your oil pressure switch being damp since you said things were covered in snow (I have to ask why on this one too?) and if you are in NS it has been pretty damp the last couple of days. I'd suggest getting the snow off the engine and drying it out as best as possible. Perhaps some spray silicone around would help things too. I am assuming that the engine didn't make any alarming noises while it was running so once things are dried out, crank it off and see what you have. Don't put any revs to the engine but see if the pressure light goes out as it should, see what the message centre has to say and listen for evil rattling noises indicating that the engine has no pressure. If you do hear anything, or if the pressure light itself does not go off straight away on start-up, shut it down and get a tow to the dealer.

Bottom line here is to look at the facts of the situation and do not assume the worse scenario immediately but sort out the easy possibilities first. Basic problem solving 101.

Good luck,

Bill

jbathmaker
01-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Does anyone know where the oil pressure sensor and its wiring is located ? Thanks.
Regards,
Jon

ChazzyD
01-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Close the hood, wait two weeks, and then try again. Engines are not meant to be snowed on... with two plugs out, no less.
Charles