PDA

View Full Version : List of Engine Warning Messages Needed

cupajoe
01-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Does anyone know where to find a complete list of the warning massages that appear in the message area on the dash?

My wife had a loud vibrating noise and a message came on but she cannot remember what it said. She also said the yellow triangle came on too.

I was very cold (-30° C) and the noise sounded like when you drive on the rumble strips on the side of the road.

The message and problem has disappeared so I have no idea what to tell the garage to look at.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Awesome forum!

Thanks,
Joe

2001 Volvo V70 XC

180,000 km

xcbody
01-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Hi cupajoe,

Had a similar fault a few weeks ago and noted the fault messages. I got a shuddering followed by DSTC and ABS service required messages with the orange triangle. Drove the car for about 6 miles, turned it off and on again and the faults dissapeared.
I did a bit of research and found out that a braking system fault can be deleted from the messaging when the car is turned off after a few miles of driving if the fault does not re occur in those miles. To confirm this I had to try to recreate the fault and test the theory.

On an icy road pulling away from a junction while turning, the shuddering started, and, then the fault messages poped up again.

The shuddering in my case was from the rear so I checked the rear pads. There was about 4mm of pad left, so a new set was in order, but more important, the pads did not move freely within the caliper. The guides that they slide on were caked in old brake dust and mud and were causing the pads to stick and lock on after braking was applied.
Although pulling off from a junction no braking was applied from me, the car detected a spin from the DSTC and applied the brake to slow that wheel. When that wheel slowed the DSTC was released but the pad was not, trying to lock the wheel. And, with the car on ice it suceeded. This sent a signal to the control system conflicting with the 3 other rotating wheels and the steering angle sensor. As far as the system was concerned, there was a one wheel not moving while no brakes were applied from the driver or DSTC. This is not normal operation.

After cleaning the calipers and fitting new pads the fault and shuddering has not re occured. Also my mpg has risen by about 2mpg and the gearbox goes in to lock up function at slightly lower revs - it doesnt feel like I'm towing something, it feels like the way I remember. [thumbup]

It took about an hour in total to clean the calipers and change the pads, I do all my own servicing so it only cost me 34 euro for the pads.

Hope this helps