PDA

View Full Version : Dstc feedback

barrysharp
05-27-2003, 07:57 AM
As much as DSTC has been lauded over the months I would personally like to have the satisfaction of knowing how many times it has been employed. This feedback would provide me with some notion of how extensive or not the DSTC was being used to help with correcting odd/unsafe driving conditions. It would also allow me to take some solice in having spent some hard earned cash for its technology.

Volvo appears to be slowly installing DSTC as default in most of its model lineup. For example, it's now standard on the S80 T6 and I believe on the XC70 with a certain Package.

The only DSTC usage feedback I'm aware of is that an orange triangle flickers some in the right intrument display window when it has become active.

I would like to see Volvo provide this info by recording the number of times DSTC was used and to record it along with my VIN in their VADIS database. This 'overall' (ie all VINs) info could then be used to provide dealerships with a notion of how extensive this system is being used for their local areas and be in a position (ie having facts and data) to advise customers on it use for their geographical areas. I would expect Volvo might also be interested in seeing to what extent their safety technology is being used to help their customers with difficult driving conditions -- would make for a credible Ad http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Hiro's XC
05-27-2003, 08:11 AM
I'm sure it can be monitored by laptop. It's just a question of $$. A guy I know has a turbo BMW that needs 2 TWO!!! laptops to start. It has some serious programability too. BUT, That tech came at a HUGE cost. He has well into six figures tied up in the car.

It would be nice though.

Personally, I would skip it due to the AWD and the correct tires you KNOW when the car is not behaving right and you get a LOT of time to correct the situation. I think if a more advanced driving school with car control classes was MANDATED lets say every 5 years for DL renewal there would be a lot less loss of control accidents.

Jason

budrichard
05-28-2003, 05:43 AM
My experience with DSTC so far is that its actuation is not subtle but makes sounds simliar to your anti-lock brake feature. Other than extreme conditions when I forced it to actuate on snow covered pavement, I have not heard or seen it actuate. -Dick