PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate problems

tatters
01-13-2009, 08:32 AM
I had my rear window smashed on Sunday night (for fun, it appears, the police are on the case).
Anyway, auto glass repaired it no problem with volvo glass.
Two problems now
1. I have bits of glass moving around inside the tailgate - how do I get them out & where can I get replacement clips for the lining (I'm in the UK!)
2. Today, I can no longer open the boot - it appears to lock/unlock but pulling the handle does nothing - I wonder if some glass got stuck inthe mechanism. Any suggestions what I can do?

Thanks

Willy
01-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Perhaps you could remove the inside panel of the tailgate. This should
provide a good look of possible glass inside and I think it should also
allow you to open the lock. However, I am not sure the panel can be
removed while the tailgate is shut and I can't send any instructions
for the removal from here (office) :o
Willy

ChazzyD
01-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Miscreants! [cussing] On the tailgate not opening. We had this issue with our '04 already. I fixed it by making sure the carpet mat was slid all the way forward so not to get pinched when the hatch is closed causing a jammed hatch. I also sprayed some white lithium grease into the pivot points of the release handle. Works perfectly now every time.
Charles

Willy
01-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I had a look, to remove the lower panel the tailgate must be open :(
But once the tailgate is open, it may be useful to take a look inside
anyway, so I include the instructions for removal of the panel.
Willy

The Fixer
01-13-2009, 05:03 PM
I fixed it by making sure the carpet mat was slid all the way forward so not to get pinched when the hatch is closed causing a jammed hatch.

That was the problem when I bought my car. I actually got a bit off the price because of it. A real relief when I found out it was just the mat...[thumbup]

tatters
01-14-2009, 01:59 AM
Thanks guys. Can't be the carpet as I haven't replaced it yet, although a useful tip for future reference. I did eventually manage to get it open (& only remembered afterwards that I was supposed to be gentle while the glass beds in). I think I just need to clear the glass out of the tailgate now. Thanks for the instructions, Willy - much appreciated.

Quixotequest
01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Open question: What do you do when the (8? is it?) clips up near the window don't click in tightly anymore? Mine stay slightly loose, and so the 4 screws at the bottom seem to be doing most of the work holding on the tailgate's interior panel. (Well, the screws and the plastic interior handle trim piece.)

Also those instructions should recommend the removal of the interior plastic trim piece that mates up with the interior opening handle piece. When I removed the bottom screws, and begin pulling to detach the upper plug-in clips I broke the plastic on that interior clip-in plastic piece when removing the panel. Gorilla Glue did the trick repairing it. But I should have been wiser to remove that plastic trim piece before proceeding with those instructions for removing the panel.