PDA

View Full Version : Battery Dead - How to unlock the tailgate?

tomclick
01-12-2009, 12:09 PM
I could not find this answer after searching the forum ... I Left my parking lights on last night :( after unloading my drum set and need to get the tailgate open to get at my jumper cables in order to jump the car. How does one open the tailgate with no power?

n00bkiller944
01-12-2009, 02:06 PM
I would say the easiest thing to do would just be crawl over the backseat and grab them then crawl back over?

tomclick
01-12-2009, 02:17 PM
there really is no way to get the rear tailgate open with out a working battery? This could be a huge safety issue in the right circumstances, No?

Ok, I was hoping to avoid pulling my hole drumset out to get to the cables, RATS!

Thanks again,
Tom

billr99
01-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Hows about borrowing a cable set?

Good luck,

Bill

JAGMAN
01-12-2009, 07:49 PM
how about jumping the car using the recommended jump points.

They are in the engine compartment. You don't need access to the battery. Read your owners manual and it'll show you how.

tomclick
01-12-2009, 08:15 PM
I forgot to mention my car was pulled in front-first such that I could not get to the front "under the hood" jump points. I eventually found a way to get cable to the front anyway and I am all set. Thanks for everyone's input. I am still pretty amazed Volvo engineering's brain-fart about engineering a tailgate release. Folks, learn from my mistake, if you don't have battery you don't get your tailgate open on the 03XC.

Willy
01-13-2009, 01:26 AM
I follow your reasoning concerning a manual lock for the tailgate. I think
Volvo used to provide a handle on the inside when the car was equiped
with a third seat row so that one could always leave the car when power
was no longer available. However, there are a number of things that won't
work without battery, it is assumed that power be restored (and provisions
to do so are available) before the car is used.
Not providing a lock in the tailgate may also have something to do with
the (un)reliability of these items in such a place, the rear of the car
receiving a lot of moisture and durt.

tomclick
01-13-2009, 04:44 AM
All good points and maybe add some balance to my thinking. BTW, my local Euro mechanics were suggesting there was a key located up under the rear latch on some models that one might not see readily... no such luck. Thank god my 93-940 can jump curbs! [thumbup]

n00bkiller944
01-13-2009, 09:29 PM
^^^Yeah, you would think they would have some sort of emergency release mechanism or something... Oh well

Willy
01-14-2009, 01:33 AM
Actually there is a way, I found it in a manual of ADAC, a German
road assistance company.
Unfortunately, it involves drilling a hole in the the tailgate :eek:
I suppose this means there is no easy way to get access to the tailgate,
at least not from the outside (I should check, but I think the hole was
located behind the license plate and involved some magic with a hook
to catch the release mechanism).
Willy

tomclick
01-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Oh man your kidding me! ..... reply from Volvo America...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:23 AM
To: me
Subject: RE: Volvo Contact Us Feedback: me [INTR:315683]

Dear Tom,

Up underneath the rear license plate lights, there is a panel with two screws. Behind the panel is a cover where you can insert the ignition key to manually open the tailgate. This should solve the issue for you.

Drive Safely,

Lisa

Customer Care Dept

So why did not local "Euro" Volvo jocks not even know this! Amazing! I am happy they responded so quickly and this is a nice to know. Good job Volvo CS!

ChazzyD
01-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Who'da Thunk it? cRaZy!
Charles

The Fixer
01-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Sweeds...

Willy
01-14-2009, 02:48 PM
I never heard of this way to gain access (at least not for MY's until 2004) to the cargo department,
can anyone confirm this?
Willy

ChazzyD
01-14-2009, 02:55 PM
What, you doubt it? :p I'll be checking into it tonight. If they say it's there... well, we'll see...
Charles

ChazzyD
01-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Well there is one screw in each license plate light. Removed them both and black panel will not release. Too cold to look into it any further and plastic too cold to pry on too much, if you know what I mean. So, confirmation will have to wait for now. :( Now there is a circular area just to the right of the black light panel that looks like it could have been used to make a hole for a lock cylinder (even with a center divot) but my car doesn't have one there.
Charles

My3buicks
01-15-2009, 06:05 PM

Dear Tom,

Up underneath the rear license plate lights, there is a panel with two screws. Behind the panel is a cover where you can insert the ignition key to manually open the tailgate. This should solve the issue for you.

Drive Safely,

Lisa

Customer Care Dept

So why did not local "Euro" Volvo jocks not even know this! Amazing! I am happy they responded so quickly and this is a nice to know. Good job Volvo CS!

What a great piece of info to have in the back of your head, this could save a lot of headaches.

MT71
01-17-2009, 06:30 AM
Same setup as ChazzyD on MY05. One screw on each light, but no other panel or way to put in a key.

Did Volvo change that design later? If anyone find the key hole, please take a picture for us.

billr99
01-17-2009, 06:47 AM
Same setup as ChazzyD on MY05. One screw on each light, but no other panel or way to put in a key.

Did Volvo change that design later? If anyone find the key hole, please take a picture for us.

Same with my '02.

Bill

Art
01-17-2009, 09:49 PM

Dear Tom,

Drive Safely,

Lisa

Customer Care Dept

Could the message from VCNA be in reference to the exterior tailgate lock that forms part of a kit included with the aux rear facing seat? It gets installed on the right side of the number plate lighting. There is a circular depression with a center marking that gets drilled out to accommodate the lock cylinder. A seal is used to cover the hole to hide the lock cylinder.

http://maweb.orbitsville.com/websrv2/wsa/files/resources%5C5ee3e85dec31cc8fefd049548896859e_M8400 636.jpeg

http://maweb.orbitsville.com/websrv2/wsa/files/resources%5C21d911d9bbfcc4821b235fe534dc6d7a_M8400 637.jpeg

http://maweb.orbitsville.com/websrv2/wsa/files/resources%5C1545a3ab2bf9713a6e96f1e4f5d11882_M8400 643.jpeg

Willy
01-18-2009, 04:51 AM
Sounds reasonable Art!
If there is indeed a way to get in as Volvo descibed (for all models), it is more than weird that is it
not documented anywhere in the owners manual.
This is the reason I doubt what Customer Service said about the issue.
Willy

MT71
01-18-2009, 04:59 PM
I agree with Willy, some details are missing from Volvo's reply. I vote for Art's answer

drewmun247
03-30-2017, 04:58 AM
Has anyone solved this?

AKAMick
03-30-2017, 07:54 AM
I would think that charging the battery from the points under the hood (Bonnet) would give the car power where the remote or unlock switch would operate, never had the problem myself but that's the first method I would try.

DanoT
08-13-2017, 08:49 PM
I would think that charging the battery from the points under the hood (Bonnet) would give the car power where the remote or unlock switch would operate, never had the problem myself but that's the first method I would try.

i have removed the rear license plate lights and found no keyhole or further plate to remove.

How do I get access to the battery charging points under the hood if the hood is closed and the hood release is in the car interior?

Astro14
08-14-2017, 06:19 AM
i have removed the rear license plate lights and found no keyhole or further plate to remove.

How do I get access to the battery charging points under the hood if the hood is closed and the hood release is in the car interior?

Unlock the drivers door with the key. The solenoid is dead, so it takes more effort to turn the dead solenoid than when you unlock the car under normal circumstances.

But you've got a metal key, and a keyhole in the drivers door, for a reason.

Then pop the hood and jump in accordance with the instructions in your manual.

Astro14
08-17-2017, 10:34 AM
What a great piece of info to have in the back of your head, this could save a lot of headaches.

Great info...except that it's NOT true.

Battery was killed this week by radiator fan failure (stuck on) while I was in California.

I unlocked the car with the KEY in the driver's door. Then I opened the hood. Then I connected the jumper cables and unlocked the rest of the car.

Curious, and inspired by this thread, I took off the license plate and removed both license plate lamps.

Look closely

See any place for a key?

Yeah, me neither...

hoonk
08-17-2017, 02:18 PM
See any place for a key?
When a 3rd seat is installed - a key lock in the tailgate is supposed to be added