PDA

View Full Version : Looking into buying a 01 XC70

Eric_K
12-31-2008, 05:42 PM
Sorry if this is a often asked question. I am interested in a 2001 XC70 I saw online for sale. I have never owned a Volvo and am curious if there are any mechanical problems I should look out for when I take a look at the car. Any info will help since I know very little about this car mechanically. Thanks for all who post

kamiar
12-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Search the forum for tranny issues in this model year, and some other issues that have been discussed already.

scolazz
12-31-2008, 09:08 PM
i havent heard of a 2001 without a tranny issue yet. You may get lucky, you may not. I did not.

JRL
12-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Please do some reading on 2001's and PLEASE don't buy one.
A very bad (1st year car ) can in general, try an 02 or better yet an 03 with most of the problems solved!

ChazzyD
01-01-2009, 10:46 AM
I won't buy an '01 myself. :eek: I wouldn't buy any of the cars with the Magnetti Marelli ETS. The Italians really screwed up with that one.
Charles

The Fixer
01-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Please do some reading on 2001's and PLEASE don't buy one.
A very bad (1st year car ) can in general, try an 02 or better yet an 03 with most of the problems solved!

Now he tells me....:rolleyes:
(Heed the warning!)

JRL
01-01-2009, 02:51 PM
It's been said by many for a very long time now

bwik
01-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I am going to give you my pat response since i have cared for a 2001 since new.

These cars have quite a lot of problems. The manufacture sent out updates for the throttle control module for the 2001, and the transmission shift controller as well. Both of these were big problems that are now fixed. Maybe some of the cars do not run well, but ours runs very well.

The 2001 has many problems to check for -- worn steering rack, leaking bevel gear housing, bad transmissions, upper motor mount, timing belt up to date, front brakes up to date, and especially the engine control and tramsission software updates. It is also good to check the maintenance history (oil changes and transmission fluid changes). Hope this helps. These cars are pretty complex and delicate to boot. So there are quite a lot of expensive things that can go wrong with them. They were designed as expensive cars that are fairly expensive to run. If that sounds good to you than a 2001-04 XC might be your kind of car. We like ours -- a solid basic automobile -- but the later cars will work a lot better for you. The 2001 is close to economic obsolescence (i.e., possibly more valuable as parts than as a running car).

Oh, and it's very important that it has 4 perfectly matched tires, and have them rotated regularly. If the circumference of the wheels is different, then the AWD system goes berserk and you have a $$ problem. So ideally you not only want to check the tires, but inquire whether they have ALWAYS been matched and rotated since new. Good luck with that.

uscgc70
01-01-2009, 07:43 PM
If you can afford an 03 or newer, go with that. i will probably be cheaper in the long run.

funglenn
01-03-2009, 06:49 AM
If you can afford an 03 or newer, go with that. i will probably be cheaper in the long run.

I have an 01 that is dealer serviced and well taken care off---it has also cost me $4k in repairs in 2008 alone! If it was not paid off this would be a burdensome car.

Volvos have little quality anymore. I sold my other one--it was not paid off--and am going back to Japanese.

i love the car, but expensive to run.

Bookem
01-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I have a 2001 that I purchased new. It has 241,000 miles and is constantly in need of repair. We like the safety features and enjoy its interior comfort but we cringe every time something goes wrong because it is an automatic $500. If it lasts to 300k without needing anything significant, motor or tranny we may consider another XC. We won't buy new though... depreciation has been the real obstacle to ever selling the car. I've been driving with the check engine light on for years. Dealer has told me a couple times that I need a new Catalytic Converter - $2,000. Sorry environment but I cannot fathom replacing it now.

scolazz
01-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I've been driving with the check engine light on for years. Dealer has told me a couple times that I need a new Catalytic Converter - $2,000. Sorry environment but I cannot fathom replacing it now.

My CEL has been on for months. Unfortunately, I cannot pass my inspection this year with it on, so I have to get it fixed.