PDA

View Full Version : iPod Connectivity in '09?

xJO98
12-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi all, it's been a long time since I've visited this forum. The lease on our '05 XC90 is just about up and we are going to replace it with an '09 model. I see in the brochure and on Volvo's website that the standard audio system offers an AUX in jack for an iPod or other mp3 players but does Volvo offer an iPod adapter that will plug into the iPod connection port vice the headphone out to charge the iPod while using it and allow you to control the iPod with the head unit? Is the head unit even capable of doing this, will it control the iPod, display track info, etc? I'd be looking to use either an iPod Classic or iPod Nano. Again, the car will be coming with standard audio system, not the Dynaudio system.

Thanks everyone.

T Schroeder
12-31-2008, 09:04 PM
Midway through production of the 2008 model year, Volvo added the capability to add a dealer-installed accessory iPod connector. This connector will allow you to access and control all of your playlists, artists, etc. directly on your XC90's stereo. This connector will also charge the iPod. The connector is iPod specific and plugs into the bottom of your iPod, not the headphone port. It is installed in the center console and will remove the ability for you to remove the center console.

If you are lucky enough, your 2009 will be a later production model and will also include standard HD radio.

I had the old-fashion iPod connector installed in the V70 and LOVE it. It isn't as nice as the new ones. I was fortunate enough to know not to download the newer version of iTunes once Apple launched the iPhone so mine still works.

Any questions, let me know.

T

xJO98
01-01-2009, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the info Tom. I don't believe it's coming with HD radio but you never know. Guess we'll find out next week when we get it (it's being shipped in from the port, we haven't actually seen it yet).

Good to know about the adapter. So what actually is displayed on the head unit, the name of the album/track or will it just show numbers like if you were using the in dash multi-disc changer?

T Schroeder
01-01-2009, 01:30 PM
The display will show what information your iPod has as far as song title and artist, etc. If your iPod doesn't include that information, it will simply state the track number, etc. It's a pretty simple deal. One selects iPod by rotating the right "source" knob, then hits "enter." Your iPod menu will then appear on the display. :)

What colors and options did you get? Some have complained about the power the 3.2 makes, but having spent some time in many, I think you can easily "train" the car to your driving habits. I typically average almost 20 mpg in combined driving, per tank.

xJO98
01-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks Tom. It's the 3.2 with AWD, premium, versatility and climate in oyster grey. Our '05 was the turbo I-5, the '09 XC70 with the V6 we test drove seemed peppy enough for my wife (it's her car).

I'll probably hold off on the adapter for now and put up with the aux jack since my wife doesn't have an iPod. I do but I don't drive her car that often. Good to keep the options open though, for her for now I think I'll give mp3's on CD-R's a whirl.