PDA

View Full Version : 03 xc70 el. system service car will not start

SPC
12-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Help. Just purchased less than 3 weeks ago. Stranded at families and my XC was towed to dealer. Today they looked at the car and declared it a "bug" with the immobilizer unit, when I went to pick it up...car died again on the lot.

Here is the problem. Started car and took off...parked at my sisters house to load the car and noticed the transmission indicator light was in D when car was in P. Curious I thought. Turned the car off then on again..it died after 5 seconds at idle. Started again then it died. Car would not start (turned over but did not start) after that. Towed to shop. You know the rest.

Any advice?

ifnt420
12-28-2008, 06:08 AM
I had the exact same experience a few months ago, it turned out to be the soldering between the Chip and motherboard inside the ECM had a few cracks causing the engine to stop unexpectedly.

Hope this helps.

SPC
12-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Dealer called and diagnosed my problem to be the immobilizing unit (?). They declared it fixed and I went to pick it up and could not get if off the lot. Essentially, started the car and watched the tach go to 0 while the car was at idle. Turned it off then restarted to have it die on idle. Repeat and same thing happened. Dealer called and said they replaced the TCM. Apparently the ECM was already replaced. I asked that they keep it and drive it for a day or two before I pick it up. All covered under CPO - thank goodness.

ifnt420
12-29-2008, 05:03 PM
If they already replaced the ECM and TCM, then my next guess would be to replace the CEM.
Keep us posted.

SPC
01-02-2009, 04:38 PM
TCM replaced and the car works just fine, so far.