PDA

View Full Version : dead horn

PGI007
12-27-2008, 01:37 PM
A couple of weeks ago I came out to the car to find the horn blasting away. I thought it was the alarm, but the lights were not flashing and the remote would not shut it off. It went off on its own after a few minutes, now it is dead when I trigger the panic alarm or try to honk the horn. Oddly enough I had honked someone just a few minutes earlier, probably the first time I had used the horn.

Is there an obvious place to check before visiting a shop (fuse, wiring?), and is a horn malfuction a warranty item?

Thanks.

BillAileo
12-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Assuming the '05 wiring is the same as '03 you might start with fuse 9 in the fuse box on the right side of the engine comparment when you open the hood.

Art
12-27-2008, 03:16 PM
According to the '05 manual, the fuse position for the horn has been relocated to the box in the passenger compartment beneath the steering wheel.

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2005/2005_XC70/05xc70_08a.htm#pg133

PGI007
12-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Well, it was the fuse, but after replacing it the horn blew it again. The local mechanic checked the relays and all looks good, so he suspects I need a new horn. I will have to call the dealership on friday. I would think this is a warranty item, but does anyone know for sure before I talk to them?

PGI007
01-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Additional note: The rear parking assist has also gone out. Same situation, went into continuous beep when reversing out of the garage and now no longer works. So, the symptoms are:
1) horn not functioning and blows the fuse
2) alarm siren not sounding on panic alarm
3) rear parking assist not functioning

Is there a common electrical element to these items in the 05? And are there likely other components affected I am not aware of? I am going to the dealership next week but I would like to have an idea of where the problem lies. Any thoughts appreciated.:confused:

josehb
11-16-2011, 08:25 PM
This just happend to our 2007 xc70 with 50,000 miles, it was the CEM module and it was replaced at a total cost of $1150.00 including the horn. Very dissapointed with this car so far. I'm waiting for an answer from Volvo NA after asking then to concider a a good will repair discount.

PGI007
11-17-2011, 07:29 AM
What exactly were the symptoms on your 07? I hope they actually diagnosed the problem properly to the CEM.
As it turned out in my case, the dealership replaced the horn and siren under warranty and I have had no problem since. The rear park assist issue may not have been connected. It is a bit temperamental, sometimes inactive until I turn it off and on again. Oddly enough, sometimes after the rear park assist beeps my radio will not come back on unless I turn it off and on again. I am not overly concerned about this as everything else works well.