PDA

View Full Version : When best to turn off Spin Control (of DTSC) in snow?

Lotus99
12-24-2008, 09:36 PM
So with the recent dump of snow, which we don't get to see much of here, I was excited to finally try out the car. Granted it comes with the all seasons right now, it did all right in the snow. I did get stuck a few times on some hilly streets, especially if I was trying to start from a stop.

I was playing with the Spin Control on and off while driving in the snow, and I'm wondering what you have found is best time to turn it off?

The manual says: "Spin control (SC)

The spin control function is designed to help prevent the drive wheels from spinning while the vehicle is accelerating.

Under certain circumstances, such as when driving with snow chains, or driving in deep snow or loose sand, it may be advisable to temporarily switch off this function for maximum tractive force."

Is it mainly to be used, for example, when you're trying to get a parked car out after a big dump of snow?

What about during driving when you're in motion, like when driving in a few inches of snow on the ground? Do you leave it on or off? I found sometimes with it on (default setting), there was some jerkiness to the ride, as I guess it tries to constantly stop whichever wheel is spinning, which when you're pushing the car hard, is happening constantly.

chris08xc
12-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Personally Id leave it on, unless you get stuck which I highly doubt then even turning it off probably wont help much.Its called traction control for a reason, it helps get you traction, If this were a FWD or RWD car then I probably would turn it off but you probably wont need to and Ive been in Subarus and 2 AWD Volvos and have never turned it off.

beavenx5
12-29-2008, 11:10 AM
I never turn it off and we did get a few nice snow fall already this year. As long as you are not stuck there is no need to turn it off.

On my RWD C-class I have to turn it off sometime if I get stuck in the driveway. It helps traction a little but you loose the control of the tail :D

budrichard
12-30-2008, 05:00 AM
Surprised you got stuck on hilly streets. The traction in both my 99XC and 2003(DSTC) is superb.
In any event unless there is over 8" of heavy snow on the roads, I leave TRACTION CONTROL ON. Over 8", its OFF and when off road its always OFF unless its an unimproved road which I know has good surface. If stuck, I would try turning it OFF before I get out the shovel!-Dick

HeadXC
01-17-2009, 05:10 PM
If driving on the highway at highway speeds leave it on it is safer. If the snow is real deep and you leave it on, the power to the wheels is cut off as each wheel spins(you will notice the engine revs drop, even with foot on the floor) and as all the wheels spin, this eventually slows the car down and eventually you are stuck. With it off, the wheels can spin and keep spinning up the snow giving some traction.
All of this is assuming you have good WINTER SNOW tires on. If it was meant to be used ALL of the time in deep snow the Rally cars would use and dessert race type vehicles would also use it. Try it in a parking lot the next big snow.

budrichard
01-18-2009, 08:42 AM
This winter is proving even snowier than last years near record snowfall. Just went through another period of about 2' total snow fall capped off by a lake effect white out with snow fall up to 3-4"/hour. On road never had to turn Spin Control OFF and its too deep to go on the snowmobile trails or other off road unplowed roads. Both XC's have been flawless but my son and I did have to go get my wife during the lake effect because she had to turn off due to the whiteout. I have a new pair of Drivewear glasses which really aids depth perception and came home in the whiteout, no problem. My son and I went back out, found my wife and he drove her XC home, again no problems with traction.
Yesterday. light snow all day. Went to Milwaukee because I assumed that the Interstate would have enough traffic to keep the roads wet. Bad assumption! I was doing 65mph which I judged prudent and even got lasered by the State Patrol with no problems. About a 1/2 mile after the State Patrol approaching the airport, started picking up collisions on the CB radio, the Interstate at about 20F had turned into a skating rink on one stretch. As I prepared to exit to avoid the 'parking lot', a pickup was way off in the boonies with a County Sheriif parked alongside the road. Some idiot stopped on the off ramp to talk with the Sheriff. Well i came off the Interstate horn blasting and the Sheriff told the guy to move, post haste. It was very interesting to listen to the CB and hear, "look at that guy hit the median, look at that spin" as more cars spun. Todays vehicles with stability control give one a false sense of stability and when they let go, that's it.
Anyway drove all over Milwaukee, got business done and drove the Interstate home. Interstate was wet with light snow still but 70 mph was ok. Everything fine except for Illinois driver in Range Rover that went past me at about 85+ mph!
Volvo XC's are great vehicles!-Dick

D5GT
01-31-2009, 02:11 AM
When you get stuck or you know you'll get stuck with DSTC on.

staffann
02-20-2009, 02:52 AM
When you drive into deep snow or sand then turn it off. If you're just on a snowy road then leave it on.