PDA

View Full Version : How to check AWD?

genayaku
12-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Dear Forum Members!
I've noticed today that only 2 front wheels were spinning when I stuck in the snow :eek: , it was slippery and icy.
I thought when 2 front wheels are spinning the AWD should engage. No error codes on display:confused:
Could it be because of all seasons tires I have on or it's a problem with Haldex?
And what is the "W" button do? Should it be on for AWD?
Thank you and Merry Christmas!
2003 Volvo XC70 AWD, 70K

JRL
12-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Dear Forum Members!
I've noticed today that only 2 front wheels were spinning when I stuck in the snow :eek: , it was slippery and icy.
I thought when 2 front wheels are spinning the AWD should engage. No error codes on display:confused:

YOUR HALDEX MAY NOT BE WORKING, YOU NEED TO BRING IT IN AND HAVE IT CHECKED.

Could it be because of all seasons tires I have on or it's a problem with Haldex?

POSSIBLE

And what is the "W" button do? Should it be on for AWD?

NO, DO NOT USE THE W BUTTON, ALL THAT DOES WILL RUIN YOUR TRANNY, IT STARTS OUT IN 3RD GEAR, NOT GOOD

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

wgriswold
12-24-2008, 07:28 PM
My thought is that the W button is left over from the 2WD versions and is of no use in the AWD XC70. My guess is that is easier and cheaper to leave it in place that to eliminate it in the AWD models.

JAGMAN
12-25-2008, 06:27 AM
To check the mechanicals of your AWD do the following:
Jack up one front tire and have someone rotate it by hand (car in neutral). while they are rotating it look underneath the car to see if the driveshaft that runs between the front of the car and the rear differential is rotating. It is tough to see as it is nestled just above the exhaust pipe as it runs aft. If the driveshaft rotates the problem is near the rear of the car in the Haldex Unit (which usually ends up being a failed pressure sensor and doesn't cost too much to fix). If the driveshaft doesn't rotate the problem is either the angle gear or the splined sleeve that connects the angle gear to the transmission. (which cost more $$).

It is a very simple test, just be careful to ensure the car is properly supported before you climb underneath it to see the driveshaft rotate. You don't want that of all things to be the last thing you see.

Advise us on the results...

budrichard
12-25-2008, 08:24 AM
I have a 2003 XC but with DSTC, so in deep snow(over 8 inches) I push the DSTC button which actually disables TRACTION CONTROL. TRACTION CONTROL brakes a spinning wheel to allow it too get traction again. Unfortunetaly the last thing you want in deep snow is to brake a spinning wheel. Your AWD should transfer torque from front to rear wheels if slip is detected. My 99XC with non-Haldex works superbly and the only thing I have really gained with the 2003XC is ground clearance.
As correctly Posted, do not use the W Mode as it is superflous. IF your 2003 doesn't tear through most road conditions without major wheel slip, then something is wrong.
We have over 2' of snow on the ground here in SE Wisconsin and my 2003XC has absolutely flown through everything except that I can't go on the snowmobile trails anymore or off road as the snow is just too deep!-Dick

genayaku
01-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks a lot for your advices!
I checked it at dealership and they discovered malfunction and have replaced angle gear with sleeve. During that they discovered worn bearing, so replaced it too. Thank God I still have warranty which expires in March 2009 [thumbup] and everything was covered. I saw the receipt for amount of $2551, so it's not that cheap at all!
Thanks again to everybody!
Volvo XC70 AWD 2003