PDA

View Full Version : How fast can you drive in Winter ("W") mode?

Gotter
12-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi all,

I bought a used 2005 XC90 2.5T in the spring and hadn't really thought about using the "W" button until the Northeast got hit with our first major snowstorm a couple days ago. I haven't noticed any difference while driving with this mode selected.

The owner's manual says, "This mode may be selected for starting/moving off on slippery roads." Does that mean it's bad to keep it on all the time / above a certain speed?

Thanks,

Gotter

PaperToast
12-23-2008, 12:43 AM
just like you read, winter mode is for getting the car moving.
other than that it really doesnt serve many other purposes.
i dont use winter mode on my xc, its more fun to kill tracs, hit the sport button, and get some awd sliding going.:D

i do remember reading somewhere that using winter mode does heat up the tranny fluid in a hurry.
just use it if and when you have to and then turn it off.
besides, with awd, you shouldnt have much trouble getting moving anyway.
just stick your foot down and get boogying [thumbup]

Gotter
12-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks. I guess I'm wondering more about what "W" mode actually does -- what are the mechanics of it? And if I forget to turn it off and end up driving on the highway all day and get home and realize it was accidentally on the whole time, did I just destroy or seriously wear down some internal part(s)?

TrueBlue
12-23-2008, 12:26 PM
well, it's basically the same transmission idea, "W" mode puts the box in third gear - and I think - also deadens the gas pedal (but that may be due to the vehicle starting in a high gear).

"JRL" who knows his '70s well says W mode is a Bad Thing as it puts a strain on the system. My take is that if you floor the pedal, then it may strain the box, but given it's Winter you would normally tread carefully anyway......

We don't have snow over here, but we do have tailbacks; I use W sparingly for long stop-start traffic queues to gently move ahead - first gear is a bit too torquey, resulting in surging. That's an aside.

Gotter
12-24-2008, 11:12 AM
OK -- thanks, TrueBlue. I read somewhere that "W" does start you out in 2nd (or 3rd) gear. I just need a Volvo mechanic to tell me if that is the only thing "W" does and the car subsequently shifts through all other gears as normal, or if there is a danger to leaving it on while driving on dry ground, highway, etc.

thebracko
12-24-2008, 04:27 PM
OK -- thanks, TrueBlue. I read somewhere that "W" does start you out in 2nd (or 3rd) gear. I just need a Volvo mechanic to tell me if that is the only thing "W" does and the car subsequently shifts through all other gears as normal, or if there is a danger to leaving it on while driving on dry ground, highway, etc.

We just had a customer come in today with a XC90 T6 with a"transmission service required" warning lamp on. The gearbox clutch packs are cooked. Turns out she's been driving around in Winter Mode for a good three weeks now. Driving in W constantly is like driving a manual transmission car around in 3rd gear only. You wear the clutch out real fast!

So yeah, not good to leave it on.

Gotter
12-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks, thebracko! Guess that answers my question about whether leaving it on would destroy / wear down internal parts. Now I'm just hoping I don't forget it's on after using it to get out of a snowy patch.

The owner's manual should really provide more thorough information about this option, you know??

TrueBlue
12-27-2008, 05:02 AM
We just had a customer come in today with a XC90 T6 with a"transmission service required" warning lamp on. The gearbox clutch packs are cooked. Turns out she's been driving around in Winter Mode for a good three weeks now. Driving in W constantly is like driving a manual transmission car around in 3rd gear only. You wear the clutch out real fast!

So that reinforces what JRL has said all along.

I'll be a lot more careful how I use it in future....

(I never use it above 10mph, though). I always assumed it would shift up, so made no comment.

Big
12-28-2008, 03:39 PM

The W-mode becomes inactive when the engine is shut off, so driving in W constantly would require engaging it every time the car is started--unlikely but possible. I use it rarely, just a few times a winter. It can make a difference when intersections are icy or when grinding up slippery grades.

My understanding is that W not only starts in a higher gear but also changes the programming to deliver low-speed power evenly without wheel spin. I would guess that using it in stop-and-go traffic when there is good traction might strain the tranny--especially the T6 which has a mismatched engine/tranny--but there shouldn't be any effect at high speeds.