PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem with my 2001 XC. Tranny?

12-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi, i'm new to this forum and i would like to congratulate and thank's everybody who is responsible for it. It is a highly valuable tool for us volvo owners.
Here it is, i have an apparently strange problem with mine, i searched this forum and found nothing quite near.
First i must say that last year i had a problem with my neutral switch (PNP), that i fixed, and i did'nt have the code erased since then.
I would call this problem a loss of power or a tranny slip. Sorry if i give many details but i think it's the best way to get the best advices.
Take note that it does this problem in manual or auto but since the last 200 miles i drove it in manual mode only to identify as precisely as possible.

1st example: when on a higway (plane surface) in 5th at 55mph, if i press the accelerator to get to 65 rapidly, most of the time it accelerates hardly. When i reach 65, i drop the accelerator slowly and sometimes it makes a bang! and it looks like coming from the tranny.

2nd example: if i climb a hill in 5th at 55mph and i floor it, most of the time, it does'nt accelerate or it accelerate hardly, if i downshift it 4th, it begins accelerate then no more acceleration, then it comes back or i have to downshift in 3rd.
Usually i can go up these hills in 5th.

3rd example: if i floor it from a stop, it is so powerful and fast in 1st we feel no problem, we begin to feel a problem in 2nd and in 3rd gear it still accelerate stongly then it stops accelerating like if i lost 30 hp then the power comes back then it goes and it comes back and it's more apparent in 4th and 5th. If in auto mode with cruise control, climbing same hill, sometimes it looses more than 10mph before it finally downshifts in 3rd to be back at set speeds. And on an easy hill with the cruise control on, sometimes after getting back the set speed, when it stops accelerating, it makes the bang! apparently in the tranny.

I know the 3 examples are related but i wanted to explain it well.
I flushed the tranny and used Mobil 3309 and no change. The serial number of my tranny is not included among the ones with the B4 cover issue, should i check it anyway?
Is it realy a tranny problem or is it with the turbo? My car is not even 90k and i own it since 75k, the previous owner told me he just changed the oil
in the tranny but when i changed it when the problem began, it was black.
Beside that, the car goes well, in city driving you feel nothing wrong, engine idles well and when the problem occurs no rpm drop.
I tought of changing the fuel filter but what about the bang i hear? Same thing if i go to the dealer (100 miles away) if the problem is coming from the tranny, will the upgrade get rid of that bang.
Any advice or opinion on this problem ????? :(

JRL
12-20-2008, 01:00 PM
B4 servo has nothing to do with this.
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your tranny is shot
I've had a couple of these (02's) one actually very recently. Same deal, a new tranny was required, (luckily someone else paid for it!)
That wagon has 77K miles on it and was a WELL KEPT Volvo but of course following the factory guidelines, no fluid changes were ever done.

Everyone can expect transmission issues at some point if they leave the fluid and never change it!

12-20-2008, 01:37 PM
[nonono] holy sh... that what i was afraid of !!
At least i have been precise enough to describe my problem!
Any doubt? :(
No?:o
Darn [mad2]
How long do you think it will last like that? I'm not hard on my cars and when i drive in manual and i don't ask too much we don't feel that problem very much.

Thank's a lot

JRL
12-20-2008, 02:29 PM
No doubt.
You describe the last two 2002's I had with bad trannies.
You already did what you could do and nothing changed. You did what I would do first to make sure but when that proves to be an exercise in futility, it's time for a tranny.

Look,
If it makes you feel any better (and I'm sure it won't:(), it's nothing you did. In fact (as I said) you did all the right moves.
This is a fact of Volvo life, most/many 01 and 02 trannies fall by the wayside. More 01's because of the stop neutral software, but many 2002's.
(Only difference in '02 was the lack of the stop neutral).

In 2003 came the better valvebodies, solonoids and software out of the gate.
We can rebuild them around here now for about $2800 (wholesale) and that's a deal considering a new (rebuilt) from Volvo is over $4500 installed!
Unfortunately not many can rebuild these and most end in failure.
(These guys did have a few failures in the beginning but after rebuiling over 100 of them, they're pretty good.

12-20-2008, 02:38 PM
You were right, i don't feel better:(
How long do you think it would last?
If the owner of a 2001 or 2002 took good care of it and always went to a volvo dealer for repais and maintenance does he have to worry as much with his tranny?

JRL
12-20-2008, 03:13 PM
You were right, i don't feel better:(
How long do you think it would last?
If the owner of a 2001 or 2002 took good care of it and always went to a volvo dealer for repais and maintenance does he have to worry as much with his tranny?

Yes.
This has been discussed ad nauseum.
Volvo does not recommend a fluid change and this has been the kiss of death. This has been proven wrong now for years.
The only way an 01 or an 02 tranny will live is if the original owner changed the fluid at proper intervals from the beginning of the life of the car.
Conversely, if you install a new or rebuilt one, if you change the fluid every 20K to 30K miles, under normal situations it should last forever
What I'm doing with mine (all were flushed at a lower mileage) is give them a (cheap) drain and fill every 15K miles,

12-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Thank's for your support [thumbup]
would you give me your opinion on how long it could last at this point?

JRL
12-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Seriously?
Not long

duncan
12-20-2008, 05:54 PM
JRL - question for you. In his post above, what specifically sold you on he fact that his tranny is dead? I don't doubt that it is a tranny problem, but I'm wondering if one thing in particular is a big red flag? For example, the "bang" when the car apparently downshifts.

The reason I ask is because as you can see in my signature, I have a 2001 (90k miles) and the transmission seems perfect. Never a slip, clunk, delay, etc. Of course it has been flushed and the stop-neutral was removed long ago. But one slight similarity I notice in his description is the acceleration behavior. Or maybe I'm just misreading it. But for example, if I floor my car from a standstill it will accelerate reasonably until maybe 3 or 4k, then haul bloody ass until maybe 5 or 6k, shift, and then repeat. I have always attributed this to a fairly narrow turbo power band - but it really is phenomenal how apparent it is. It feels like only half the engine is used in the lower revs - which reminded me of his description somewhat.

Anyways, just curious to hear your $0.02.

JRL
12-20-2008, 06:00 PM
His will rev up, then BANG, into a gear, yours doesn't sound as if it does that. Besides you removed the S/N and flushed it a long time ago, which was necessary for it to live.
I've had a few of these and that's what they're like when they're terminal
He already flushed it, etc, did everything he could.

YOURS does not sound like tranny, it sounds like engine

duncan
12-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Cool, thanks - I was just curious what the insight behind his diagnosis was. I definitely still have nightmares of the day my transmission misses a shift - it will be for sale the next day.

Just to clarify I don't think there is actually anything wrong with my engine, I just personally am not used to turbos. The last turbo I drove was a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, which had a similar boost behavior (but much more impressive!). Although maybe it is just me, but after driving a 2004 XC it seems to have a perhaps smoother engine/turbo/etc.

12-20-2008, 08:24 PM
His will rev up, then BANG,

Just to be sure not to be missunderstood.
the exact moment when i hear the BANG is when i drop the accelerator. Like i said, in manual mode i leave it in 5th gear, it stays there until it reaches the speed i want and when i begin to release the pedal then, sometimes, i hear the BANG. This noise does'nt happen when it shifts. It already happened with the cruise control on after climbing a light hill, and i'm sure there was no downshift before, it was just when the cruise began torelease the accelerator.
The transmission always shifts well, i feel it more like a loss of power.

12-22-2008, 07:06 PM
to JRL
With the precision i brought about the BANG, if you look at the last post, is there any chance something else would make my problem?
Thank's:confused: