PDA

View Full Version : Bad service

ppchen
01-17-2003, 10:55 PM
i have a 2001 Volvo V70 XC that is in excellent condition. i have spent a lot of time keeping it looking like new. 2 weeks ago I received a discount coupon from Putnam Volvo in Burlingame, California for an oil change and tire balance & rotation special. I dropped my car off at 8 am on the morning of Jan 17 2003 to have both service performed. the car was ready at 10 am. after arriving home, i discovered that the front left driver side rim has a 1/2" scratch and a 1/2"x1/4" size scrape. I immediately returned to Putnam Volvo. The service adviser and manager initially agreed to fix the damage, however, it was quickly dismissed by the owner, Kent Putnam. Mr. Putnam stated "you did it and we are not going to do anything.". Burlingame police was called by both parties to resolve situation without any success. at this point i don't know what is there to do to recuperate my lost. any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Stu in Oregon
01-18-2003, 10:42 AM
Irregardless of who put the scratch in your wheel, Mr Putnam's reaction was poor customer service. As a business owner myself, I have swallowed my (and the companies) pride and taken care of a variety of customer concerns over the years. Sure, some of my people, myself included, have made mistakes. We are human after all. I also have known when I was being taken advantage of too. But no matter. In the interest of continued business with the customer one has to make things right. It is a part and cost of doing business. Mr. Putnam may in turn lose you to another dealer. I feel that the percentage of Volvo owners who knowingly try to ferret unwarranted repair work from Volvo dealers is pretty low. Mr Putnam should fix your wheel and then appreciate all the future business he would do with you if his operation showed a concern for your satisfaction. Customer loyalty is won, not expected.

Sorry for my little diatribe here, but I am growing weary of the increasing lack of loyatly and support in both the vendor and customer ranks in my industry and your post struck a little nerve I guess http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

wiz
01-18-2003, 05:20 PM
As the owner of a small business, I totally agree with Stu.  Also you should print this thread and show it to Mr. Kent Putnam and inform him that his total lack of service is being discussed for all XC owners and potential owners to see on the Internet.

If he relents and fixes the problem caused by his dealership I would post that information here.  If he continues to be obdurate I would file a formal complaint with Volvo Cars of North America.

MichaelF
01-18-2003, 08:41 PM
It's funny that the two Bay Area Volvo dealers, Putnam and Smythe, are both so poor in service, while both claiming to be so great.  I don't understand; there are a lot of Volvo's around here.

Is it just that most of us don't like having to take our car in for service at all and so we find fault?

Michael

barrysharp
01-18-2003, 10:31 PM
I can't really offer any advice or suggestion on how you should proceed. It sounds like you tried your best to resolve the situation though. Incidentally, how much do you estimate the damage to be?

An identical thing happened to me at my local Volvo dealership (Sandberg Northwest Volvo in Lynnwood, WA). The rear door was somehow nicked and cause a sizeable deep chip of paint to get removed. I discovered this when I got the car home and immediately call the dealership. They said, without a fuss, to simply drop it off and they would repair it at no cost to me. My point here is that not all Volvo dealership show distain for the customer such as Mr Putnam did.

It is strange that the owner got involved in this case unless it was a very costly repair. The service manager would normally deal with these things and not bother the owner -- at least this has been my experience. The one time the owner of my dealership got involved (and only because he was around at the time thankgoodness) was when my 86' Volvo GLE wagon sunroof's electric motor gave up. When I bought the car from the same dealership 8-10 years earlier I had the sunroof changed from manual to electric but the manual parts removed weren't given to me (never gave it a second thought at the time). I returned to my dealership and ordered the manual parts to regain the use of my sunroof. The electric motor was around $300 and the manual parts around $150. It then occured to me that I shouldn't really have to pay for the manual parts as they were removed at time of purchase and never given to me. I explained all of this to Service Manager and was getting no where when the owner stepped in and asked what all was being discussed. I explained and the owner told the Service Manager to order the parts for Mr Sharp and not to charge him. I was very very happy and have since bought 3 Volvos from him since.

My XC70 2003 will be replacing my 86' Volvo GLE turbo diesell wagon.

If Mr Putnam has been running his Volvo dealership a long time his actions are foolhardy/shortsighted.

I would certainly Email VCNA and complain or at least indicate your disatisfaction at the way you were treated at your Volvo dealership. VCNA is keeping close tabs on the Customer Satisfaction thess days so take some solice in that.

Try to meet Mr Putnam half way and each pay 1/2 the cost of repairs. You never know, Mt Putnam may relent and pay all of it. You will then have your car returned to its prestine condition which seems to be an important point with you -- and I share your feelings in this regards. I'd repair it anyrate and start feeling good about your car again. Some things are best forgot and one should move along.

baz957
01-19-2003, 09:17 AM
Dealing with those kind of people will not get you far, save yourself the headache, let as many people know about this and this will teach Mr. Putnam a lesson. Dealing with Folvo is not easy as well, the Volvo reps. are not speaking to the customers but to the service managers, which is ridiculous because we are the ones that pay for the cars and service.
A good dealership can reverse a negative opinion about a previous dealership and Volvo, may I recommend Carlsen Volvo.
Atlas.

PDXXC
01-21-2003, 03:19 PM
I'll second the suggestion for Carlsen in Palo Alto.
Putnam has a reputation for being a real prick.  We started looking for an XC and wrote them off because of their crappy attitude.
For what it's worth, most Swedish car dealerships in the South Bay and Peninsula are liars and thieves at best.  There are a few independent repair shops in the South Bay like Swedish Auto Factory (408-241-7222) who would probably better do a much better job of servicing your Volvo than Putnam.
Also, post your experience with Putnam on Craigs list.  You'd be amazed at how bad news travels with this here internet thing.
Better luck and cheers,
Jorge

cmon4day
01-22-2003, 09:53 AM
I bought my 2002 XC at Volvo of Pleasanton.  So far I have been very pleased with the service.  Give them a try.

Vic

baz957
01-22-2003, 12:45 PM
Would not come close to Volvo of Pleasanton even if they paid me !
Atlas.

kersti
01-22-2003, 12:59 PM
I just had my Lexus serviced today and for the first time they marked on a service sheet any dents or scratches currently on the car and had me sign. This is probably the best procedure to protect both dealership and owner.