PDA

View Full Version : Hit by a drunk driver... trying to determine what's going to need high-tech fixing.

gibbons
12-15-2008, 08:53 PM
My school teacher wife had wrapped up her typical 10 hour day and was driving home after dark. Some drunk skank in an Explorer crossed the median and hit the right front of our car. Looking at it, the hood is toast, the fender, lights, bumper facia radiator support, etc. No damage to frame, suspension, engine, cooling.

My brother is an expert body guy with 35 years experience. I'm not worried about the nuts and bolts. Or color matching either, that's why we buy white cars. However, the wiring harness is shredded. And the driver's side bi-xenon, un-hit, was freaking out moving up and down. That kind of thing makes me nervous. Doesn't headlight aiming take a Vadis hookup? I know that you can fine tune them with the little screws, which I have done. Anyone with collision repair experience on these techy cars?

The XC did more damage to the Explorer than vice-versa. And my wife is fine, other than being upset about our perfect (except for a pin-point door ding) getting muffed. If she's OK, I am OK. On the other hand, I hope drunk gal gets abused in jail tonight.

kamiar
12-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Sorry to hear that, i hope you are fully insured!

gibbons
12-15-2008, 09:39 PM
We are insured, the drunk was too, fortunately. I already talked to their claims department. This sux, but nothing like if my wife had been hurt. All is well.

MT71
12-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Good thing your wife is ok. Drunks like that should have their car and permit suspended. and they shouldn't be allowed to own or insure a car for 10 yrs.

Anyway, hope the car is fixable and all turns out ok.

roadhog
12-16-2008, 06:12 AM
Of course the only real important thing is that your wife is okay.

Your damage sounds like it might be very similar to what I sustained in my '04 last year when I hit a deer. Pictures are here in this thread:

http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10803&highlight=deer

It was almost $11,000 cost to insurance company to repair.