PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Radio?

n00bkiller944
12-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Does anyone have this installed in their car? If so how is it installed and how do you like it? Sound quality ect?

VICIII
12-12-2008, 08:18 AM
I have it put in my car the most basic way with good results.
The radio I have has a FM transmitter in it and just tune in the station and it works and sounds just like a normal radio station. Love my Sirius.

JRL
12-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Mine is integrated, it works just fine.
XM reception is better and with less drop-off's (different satellite delivery system)

Chenango21
10-25-2010, 01:20 PM
The Sirius web site advertises an upgrade to "near cd quality" for about 3usd/month.....

Has anyone tried it?
Does is work on Volvo installed satellite radios (I don't think all receivers can get it).

Thanks,
Paul

n00bkiller944
10-25-2010, 01:57 PM
I went the route of an aftermarket headunit with Sirius. I have had it for about two years now and I love it.

P.S. Holy old thread bump batman!

callouscrab
10-26-2010, 03:26 PM
I have one integrated with the HU-850. The antenna itself is near the rail on the driver's side in the rear (I can tell because it has the Sirius logo on it).

I have to say, I am not too impressed with Sirius, with so many channels, it was still hard to find one I liked...

Sound quality is quite good, as is the display which shows the station/song etc.

Chenango21
10-29-2010, 01:40 PM
I got the Sirius radio id off the display and signed up for a free month.....but it doesn't work and Sirius tried to troubleshoot, but no luck.....all they did was keep resending the signal. Symptom: it show Sirius channel including the number 184 advertising channel which is supposed to work without a subscription....but no sound.

Any suggestions? Would this be covered by my certified pre owned (I think the car came with this radio).

Thanks,
Paul

callouscrab
11-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Does every other source work? Do you happen to have an external AUX input? Also, do you see SAT1,2,3 in your Source menu? I see the three options when I cycle through.

I don't really have a suggestion, your best bet is to try the dealer and use your CPO warranty.

Chenango21
11-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Yes, I see SAT 1, 2 and 3....wasn't sure that was normal so good to know yours shows that and works. Yes, all the other sources work including the aux.

Am going to schedule dealer visit...they said they think it would be covered by the cpo.

Chenango21
01-09-2011, 05:36 AM
Sirius update
I have a factory installed Sirius radio, but there is no antennae. Redbank Volvo will sell me one for $130 dollars....

Does anyone know a cheaper way to get the antennae? Does anyone know what kind of connector this has? I'll probably have to get in there and look around, but I hate too as it is all so tightly packed in their that I'm reluctant to take it apart to get a look.

JRL
01-09-2011, 05:50 AM
Sirius update
I have a factory installed Sirius radio, but there is no antennae. Redbank Volvo will sell me one for $130 dollars....

Does anyone know a cheaper way to get the antenna? (NOT ae, that's plural) Does anyone know what kind of connector this has? I'll probably have to get in there and look around, but I hate too as it is all so tightly packed in their that I'm reluctant to take it apart to get a look.

No you do not have Sirius if you don't have the antenna.
You probably have a SAT PREP car which means you still need to buy the unit and antenna.
No additional wiring though is necessary
The factory antenna is garbage, buy a good aftermarket SMALL disc style antenna
I forget the name of these connections but Volvo uses the old TWO WIRE leads with square ends, you will need a 2 into 1 adaptor.
If you want to check, the SIRIUS unit is behind the left hatch panel, remove the panel and see if it's there

Chenango21
01-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks JRL.
Yes, I do have the main unit....just no antenna.

JRL
01-11-2011, 09:05 PM
That's weird
Google Sirius antennas find one you like and buy the 2 into 1 connector cable
( It works a hell of a lot better, the Volvo antannas do not work well)

Cyberous
01-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Sirius update

Does anyone know a cheaper way to get the antennae? Does anyone know what kind of connector this has? I'll probably have to get in there and look around, but I hate too as it is all so tightly packed in their that I'm reluctant to take it apart to get a look.

I have no idea what you have of if this is what your looking for? I just upgraded my system to have an Aftermarket Double Din head unit and got the Sirius adapter that plugs right in. Since I already had the external unit I just re-used the antenna I already had, I liked it better because the base was a little bigger. However they did send me an antenna that I'm not using so here is a picture of my old unit with the spare new antenna, hope this helps you?

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h289/cyberous11/DSC_0001-1.jpg

Here is what it plugs into:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h289/cyberous11/DSC_0003-1.jpg

Here is what that plugs into:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h289/cyberous11/DSC_0004.jpg

Chenango21
01-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Cyberous and JRL,
Thanks. I can buy the antenna on ebay with free shipping for like 9 bucks (Cyb. do you want to hassle with selling/shipping yours?).....and then I'll go to Radio Shack to get the 2 to 1 adaptor JRL says I need.
Paul

Cyberous
01-12-2011, 03:21 PM
For $9 I would just get it off Ebay =)

Good luck!

n00bkiller944
01-12-2011, 03:53 PM
For $9 I would just get it off Ebay =)

Good luck!

Agreed!

JRL
01-12-2011, 04:13 PM
$9! :eek:
I doubt R/S will have the adaptor.

(&$^&(#$^
I can't find it on their website anymore
Call them
TSS audio
1 773 772 4340
Explain to them what you need

Chenango21
01-16-2011, 05:43 AM
I figured it out....issue was that I believed there was no antenna installed so I was trying to figure out where it connected to the radio. Turns out the antenna connection wire was there....just that the acutal antenna was snipped off so it was just an unconnected wire.

Have ordered the replacement from TSS.