PDA

View Full Version : Smoke from engine compartment

gebuur
12-05-2008, 03:05 AM
Hello

I have been scanning the whole XC90 list of threads, and didn't seem to find any clue on above.

I bought a used XC90, 2006 D5 model. 32.000KM, 2Y. It turns out to be somewhat of a challenge.

1) 6 weeks into ownership, the engine failed. Turned out to be injector failure - but before getting to this, my wife was blamed by the garage for all sorts of mistreatment of the car.. (ie having put petrol in to diesel car)

2) A further 6 month into ownership, the engine failed again - with very similar symtoms, but incluing a failed gearbox. 3 weeks later the car was fixed.

3) 3 month later it showed similar symtoms, but did fail. this time it was a loose connector (electronics). Car was fixed same day ;-)

Currently it has got intermittent smoke from under the bonnet - which clearly smells of unburn but evaporated diesel. Garage claims this is related to the engine pre-heater, which kicks in whenever the engine gets too cold during normal running - so typical a winter issue. It shoul dbe due to the starting of this pre-heater. However I fail to accept that it is normal, your car sending occasional smoke clouds out from under the bonnet and or right wheel arch..

Any experience/better explanation or hint would be highly welcome..

Br
Gert

ifnt420
12-05-2008, 10:36 AM
How thick is the smoke? and what kind of driving do you do with the D5? stop and go or highway?

Reason I ask is that the XC90 D5 is equpped with the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) it kicks in randomly to clear out the soot form Diesel in the catalytic converter. If you don't drive your D5 on the highway frequently at 80kmh+ speed, it will sometimes get clogged until you do so. (read owners manual which will explain it in more detail)
And also at lower speed, when the DPF kicks in, you'll feel a lose of power while driving, which in my opinion is pretty dangerous. [cussing]

Also, by any chance did you have a loose connection on the injector that caused the 3rd failure on your list?

Good Luck!

Ben