PDA

View Full Version : Michelin X-ICE Xi2's

Hoober
12-04-2008, 05:13 PM
I think I'm going to finally break down and get a set of winter tires. The snow storms this last week have finally convinced me.

Does anyone have personal experience with the X-ICE Xi2's? I know there have been recommendations all over these boards for the Haaka's, the Nokians, and the original X-ICE's.

Art
12-04-2008, 06:48 PM
The first gen X-Ice came out on top in the 2005 Consumers ratings for winter tires and garnered the best choice for all weather conditions. The X-Ice 2 also looks like a promising true winter performer with longer wear properties.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/tires/michelin-x-ice-xi2.php

Hoober
12-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the article, Art.

mbsl98
12-05-2008, 10:43 AM
We have the original X-Ice's on our XC70 and they ae very good in both snow and dry. I would expect the next generation to be equal or better. Ours are going on this coming weekend :(

Hoober
12-16-2008, 12:25 PM
I got the Xi2's put on yesterday. Unfortunately, it didn't snow too much last night so I haven't had a chance to really test them. However, the wife said they were fantastic on some of the back roads this morning, which were icy and snow packed.

Dry handling yesterday was fine. A stiffer ride than the Hydroedge's we use the rest of the year, but that could be the difference in the size. I had to get 235/60/R16's. Michelin sent all 215/65/R16 winter tire production to Quebec...

Grundig
12-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi Hoober - I'm right behind you with the Xi2's. I picked up my 2005 xc70yesterday (see new post) and the car had the remnants of the Pirelli Scorpion's on them. I need new tires! I figure I'll go to costco and have the michelins snows put on. They don't have our 215/65/16's, but they have the 225/60/16's in stock. Figure they'll do.

Can I ask . . . any rubbing issues with the wider tire? How about road hum? I have a set of Nokian Happakalittas on my minivan, great snow tire, but never again. The drone on dry pavement drives me nuts, especially on the highway. And most of the times we still drive on dry pavement. How do yours sound?

wgriswold
12-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Costco would not put anything other than V rated tires on my XC70. Maybe if you just buy the tires and not give them the chance to look them up they will put them on for you.

Hoober
12-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Grundig, I'm taking it out on the highway in a bit. I'll let you know about road noise. I haven't noticed any rubbing issues with the larger 235 tire. Another user on these boards is/was running Nokkian WR's in the 235 size for years without problems, so I figured they were probably fine.

It's the wife's car, so I don't drive it a whole lot. She did say yesterday that on the snow and ice packed back roads the tires were awesome. No slip and no ABS engagement.

Hoober
12-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Road noise is a little more pronounced from the Michelin Hydroedges that were on there pre-Winter, but it wasn't extreme or annoying, at least to me.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to put her through her paces on snow and ice since having these tires put on. Apparently it stops snowing in Colorado when you put Winter tires on the car.

Grundig
12-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the tire feedback Hoober. Yes, I understand about snow tires and weather. Some years ago I bought a really nice Toro snowblower and, wouldn't you know it, there was virtually no snow that whole winter. Upon hearing of my frustration, one neighbour said he was enjoying the mild weather and that I should buy a snowblower every year . . .

billr99
12-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the tire feedback Hoober. Yes, I understand about snow tires and weather. Some years ago I bought a really nice Toro snowblower and, wouldn't you know it, there was virtually no snow that whole winter. Upon hearing of my frustration, one neighbour said he was enjoying the mild weather and that I should buy a snowblower every year . . .
This is one of those Murphy Laws. Same thing happened to me after i bought my first blower. Good thing though that the next year had record snow to make up for it.

Cheers,

Bill

rigby!!!
12-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I am confused, the xi2 isn't listed as being available in a size for the XC90 - at retailers, or at michelin canada. In fact the Michelin site featuring the xi2 has a separate section for SUV tires, and the xi2 isn't a tire available in that section - only the original x-ice.

Where are you buying these tires?

Grundig
12-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Hey, got my Michelin Xi2's mounted today from Costco in the 225/60/16 size. I was praying that they wouldn't be as loud as the Hakkapelittas on my mini-van, and thankfully they weren't. The drive home on the dry pavement was quiet and I found the ride pretty smooth (compared to the beater Pirelli Scorpions that were on there) and not squirmy at all. Haven't tested them on snow or ice yet, but will let you know my take when I do . . . Grundig

Hoober
12-19-2008, 08:58 AM
I am confused, the xi2 isn't listed as being available in a size for the XC90 - at retailers, or at michelin canada. In fact the Michelin site featuring the xi2 has a separate section for SUV tires, and the xi2 isn't a tire available in that section - only the original x-ice.

Where are you buying these tires?

I don't know what size the XC90 takes, but I was able to find a set of 235/60/R16s, slightly wider than the stock 215/65/R16s that my '04 XC70 takes, on tirerack dot com.

I ordered them and took them to a local tire place to have them mounted.

Grundig
12-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Well, we've had a lot of snow here in Ontario; in fact the day after I installed the Michelins we had about 6 inches of snow, and another 4 or so today.

My observations; on driving home from the installation (before the storm) I was relieved that the Michelins were no where near as noisy as the Hakkapelittas on my mini-van. No more hum, thank goodness! To be fair, however, in the deep snow the next day, the Michelins were good, but merely OK compared to the grip of the Hakkas. Nothing beats a Hakka if you're talking deep snow! However, I know that a winter tire is a compromise and that the Hakkas and their very coarse tread are so-so on slippery surfaces, where presumably the Michelins shine. If that's true, then a more all around balanced tire would be the Michelin. We'll see how they fare on ice . . .

Hoober
12-23-2008, 09:47 AM
I got a great chance to test out the tires traveling over Wolf Creek pass here in Colorado a few days ago. The road was icy and snowpacked, and fresh snow was coming down quickly. I haven't had Winter tires before, so I can't compare them to other winter brands, but I sure am glad I had them on the XC70 that day. Their grip on the ice and snow was steadfast and sure, with no slipping during acceleration, braking, or in the turns.

I'm extremely pleased.

Grundig
12-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi everyone, here in London, Ontario we're getting snow up the wazoo . . . I've mentioned that the Xi2's aren't quite as effective as the Hakkapelittas in the deep dry snow, but the weather began to change to a wetter slushy slippery kind of snow that keeps coming down after the major snow is cleared from the streets. It's almost more of a problem than dry snow because of all the sliding that we get; in fact if you read my other posting you'll see that some guy just rear-ended me in my "new" 2005:mad:, which can tick you off. Anyway I think in this element the Xi2's are superb, better than the Hakkas with more confident traction, less sliding and better stopping. Also new to me is the actual car, which I've only owned a week - my wife and I absolutely love it. All things considered, if I were buying snows again I would go with the Michelins - well balanced winter tire that does quite well in all aspects . . . Grundig

rigby!!!
01-26-2009, 05:46 AM
After much inquiry I have determined that the xi2 is not technically available for the XC90 (2009 6cyl). The X-ice technology is available as the Latitude X-ice or the Alpin x-ice, the Alpin being the recommended tire for the XC90 due to speed rating. So I went with the Alpin. 235 65 R17 (same size as factory supplied all-seasons).

Price: Active Green+Ross regular price was $10 per tire lower than Costco, at $225/tire, installed.

Rims: three dealers, and Volvo, told me there is either no steel rim, or no rim at all, for the XC90. AG+R offered aftermarket aluminum rims at $190 each, with the warning that the tire pressure monitoring system would not be working and I may or may not have a warning light on for the winter; Volvo offered aluminum rims at $475 EACH (!!), so I went with the backup plan of just switching the tires onto the factory rims. Not ideal, but it saved $800-2000 depending on how you look at it.

I have driven about 4000km on the Alpins since install and the have performed admirably. No real noise problems, but the vehicle, which I already considered a strong winter performer (vs a history of AWD winter driving in F150, F250, Audi Quattro, and Explorer), has noticeably improved. Acceleration, handling, stability, and deceleration are all much better. Noise is not a factor.

Lincoln
01-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Just to add another data point. I've found the Xi2s to be quite good in the snow and ice and not too bad in the dry either (especially for a real snow tire). I still think the tube-multi-cell (?) Blizzaks are better in the snow when new but they are awful on dry roads and only they first half or so of the tread is the super nifty compound.

Noise-wise, all I can add is that they are noticeably quieter than the used up OEM Pirellis.