PDA

View Full Version : another tire question, wintersport M3 or 3D

bbbuzzy
12-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Hey folks,

Sorry to ask yet another tire question, but enquiring minds want to know. Has anyone used Dunlop Wintersport M3 or 3D tires on an XC70 or other vehicle? Any experience with them in warmer weather? Thanks.

scolazz
12-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Hey folks,

Sorry to ask yet another tire question, but enquiring minds want to know. Has anyone used Dunlop Wintersport M3 or 3D tires on an XC70 or other vehicle? Any experience with them in warmer weather? Thanks.

I had the M3 on my old 2000 Mazda Miata. I loved them, and wouldn't hesitate to get them again.

Art
12-05-2008, 04:23 PM
No personal experience with the Dunlops but, if you do a quick search you'll probably find that other forum members have also found them to their liking.

FWIW, the page below displays the latest Consumer Reports winter performance tire review. One thing worth noting is that the V-rated Dunlops scored much higher than their H counterparts.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/acb9e363.jpg

2volvo
12-06-2008, 06:22 AM
I installed a set of Dunlop WinterSport 3D (H-rated) about a month ago to replace the Nokians WR that performed very poorly in snow or slush when tread depth reached ~5/32 (last winter). I drove them through some snow, slush, ice and mainly dry pavement. They are quieter than the WR, and the car actually handle better with them on dry, wet or snow. Also, good grip on the ice we had ocassionally. I am happy with them, but we have to keep in mind that they are new tires with tread depth of 11/32.

bbbuzzy
12-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the input so far. I was considering using the Dunlops as a year round tire. I know it will wear fast. Any ideas on how many miles one could expect in typical New England driving?

2volvo
12-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi There,
If you want to use them year round may want to get Nokian WR (215-65-16). They will be OK probably 3 winters and 4 summers. I had handling issues with the wider 235-60-16 Nokian WR's.

lexefx
12-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I was considering using the Dunlops as a year round tire.

Bad idea, VERY fast wear and sub-par warm weather handling. You'd be destroying your investment.

Any ideas on how many miles one could expect in typical New England driving?

Below 55 Degrees F I'd expect 15-20k well rotated. By driving into warmer weather your wear rate is about 4 times quicker than in cold.

To quote my buddy JRL = your a candidate for all seasons. Check Conti Extreme Contacts - Awesome in snow!

Alex

lexefx
12-09-2008, 12:38 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/acb9e363.jpg

I don't know witch microwave will boil your tea water faster,

3D's feature the 3 dimentional interlocking zig zag sipes. These sipes lock together in cornering for more dry road stability. JMO the M3's are almost as effective in snow, but 3D's win in try and wet for sure!

Alex