PDA

View Full Version : Calling Gibbons! Nokian 235 vs. 215 Clarification, passenger vs. SUV

8pack
12-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Gibbons,

I run Nokian WRs on all my Cars (2000 v70xc, 2004 A8L, 2001 Saab 9-5) and am a huge fan.

Just got a 2007 XC70 with 15k miles and Pirelli Scorpions. Drove to VT where I have a house on a dirt road. I have never had any issue getting to or from the house in any of my other cars, Car was all over the road! Those Scorpions STINK.

Anyway, the point of the question, I am looking at the Nokian WR GR2s. The 215 only comes in the SUV tire and the 235 comes in the passenger tire. Load rating is roughly equivalent for both tires, 235s have a higher speed rating. Tire guys are recommending I stick with the 215s as they are narrower and will provide better traction. It is my wife's daily driver and our "VT" Car which needs to be able to get us through all weather which has never been a problem in the past with the Nokian's. 215s are $154 mounted and balanced, 235s $172

Can you give me a little more perspective on why you did not like the 215 SUV and prefer the 235 Passenger tires so much more?

Thanks!

dcandmc
12-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Hey 8pack,
I'm glad that you asked this question, and I hope that Gibbons will respond shortly. I came back home last night after 4 days away for Thanksgiving, and found the right rear tire on my '04 XC70 completely flat. I have Nokian WR SUVs that were put on in Feb. '07 and now have 32k miles on them. The tire dealer that I purchased from diagnosed a non-repairable nail hole (too close to the sidewall), and I am now facing the exact same situation that you are: need new tires, trying to decide between the 215/65/16 WR G2 SUV and the 235/60/16 WR G2 passenger.

Two things: The Nokian literature that I have shows an H speed rating for both tires in the 16" size. Are you using different diameter rims? Also, I've been quoted prices of $120 for the 215 and $135 for the 235 (mounted and balanced, less taxes), so you may be able to do better price-wise.

Gibbons, where are you?

DC

skibo
12-01-2008, 10:52 AM
If I recall correctly, Gibbons started with the 215, and felt that the ride was overly harsh - possibly due to the sidewalls being more 'vertical' than other 215 tires. He traded them for the 235 because he felt the rounder sidewalls would give a smoother ride.

I went with the 235's based upon his suggestion, as I find the XC70's ride to be hard (at least compared to the big american boats that I've been driving for 29 years).

8pack
12-01-2008, 11:31 AM
DCandMC...where do you live and where did you buy? I may call them and see if they will ship a set mounted on wheels to me as I am looking to buy some new wheels also.... Those are VERY good prices on the Nokians. I have been shooping everywhere including on-line and can't get much better than what I posted...I am in NJ...

dcandmc
12-01-2008, 12:51 PM
DCandMC...where do you live and where did you buy? I may call them and see if they will ship a set mounted on wheels to me as I am looking to buy some new wheels also.... Those are VERY good prices on the Nokians. I have been shooping everywhere including on-line and can't get much better than what I posted...I am in NJ...

I just sent you a private message.

DC

Ozzie
12-01-2008, 01:15 PM
I got the WR in the 235 last year and have been extremely happy with them. They get up and go (and stop) in the snow. I run them year round. In deep ,packed, and slushy snow or dry or wet pavement, they are outstanding!

I now have 17,000 miles on them. Winter started today with our first snow and I have not noticed any change in their grip over last year.

There is a whole string on Gibbons and various counterpoints to his reasoning for the 235's over the SUV 215's. Stay with the 235's!.
Ozzie:)

gibbons
12-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Skibo recalls correctly. The 215's were very, very skinny. I bought a tire caliper to check, and as I recall from years ago, they were 8.7" wide compared to the 9.1" on the Scorpion, even though they were both 215-65's. The sidewall was about vertical, they left the wheel lip way to vulnerable and begging to be curbed.

They changed the car from nice to really rough and noisey. That's in my opinion, and no offense intended to those who bought 215's. I raised enough hassle at Nokian that they replaced them with the 235's. Ahhh.... much better! The back-to-back difference was amazing.

OKCXC70
12-02-2008, 08:12 AM
In another thread on vibration (last post on 14 Nov) it was recommended to ditch the Pirellis. I have a perfectly good, noisy set of Continentals that I stupidly bought on the recommendations of TireRack reviews. Now, I want to get off the porch and get Nokians, but no one in OKC has heard of them. Any ideas where I can buy? I have only seen one place on the internet and they were $160 each. Please help!

8pack
12-02-2008, 08:17 AM
[thumbup] Thanks Gibbons. Since you are in Utah I assume that means you have no issues with traction etc.

I have just ordered the WR-G2s which is their newest tire. I will let everyone know how they go this winter and whether they are as good as the WR.

Thanks for all the feedback.

8pack
12-02-2008, 08:25 AM
OKXC70

Call Goss Tires in VT (802-660-3413) and Ask for FRITZ. He quoted me around $130 (i don't have the exact price, maybe $135, maybe $125) each plus $20 shipping for the WR-G2 in the 235 size......figure another $20-25 bucks to have them locally installed.

http://www.gosstire.com/

To find a good local installer go tot he tire rack and search for an installer on there. They will have someone locally that has been checked out and the local guy should give you the tire rack install prices. Mine did....I also had Goss ship them directly to the installer....

Good Luck!

Ozzie
12-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Great find 8Pack
Thanks
Oz [thumbup]