PDA

View Full Version : Idle car before shutting off  for Turbo purposes

judyashley
09-22-2002, 09:37 AM
Hi,
The maintenance manual says if car is Turbo, then you must idle the car for a short time before turning off to allow for oil to lubricate.....something.

Anyway, did anybody see this and how long do you let idle before you shut off.  I did not read this in the "before you drive" section.  I happend to see it in maintenance manual.  I have drive 1000 miles before seeing..

Any feedback ?

Thx, Judy

wiz
09-22-2002, 02:25 PM
If you do a search on this topic you will see mixed opinions on this board. Some run the engine, some turn it off immediately.

I think you should absolutely not race the engine just after starting or just before you turn it off. I personally try to let the engine idle for about 30 sec. - 1 minute after I stop - I figure it doesn't do any harm... http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

sendwongy1
09-22-2002, 03:18 PM
I agree with WIz. But I wont get too worried about it.  I normally leave my engine running for about 1 minute before turning it off.  If you getsick of waiting your can get a turbo timer.

Eugene

Hiro's XC
09-23-2002, 08:12 AM
If you are just cruising the neighborhood befor getting home for a few miles without any full throttle, you need only wait 15 sec or so. From highway speed, like pulling into a rest stop you should give it 2 minutes or so.

Jason

xclogan
09-25-2002, 09:55 AM
My 760 Turbo, 854 T-5 and 855 Turbo were the same.  I got used to starting the car when I first got in them and then did the seatbelt thing and all of the other "arranging" and whatnot before I drove off.  When shutting down it was the same procedure in reverse....let it idle while I get unbuckled, get my briefcase, etc...then turn off the car and get out....

phdezra
09-25-2002, 11:21 AM
My mother had a Saab a few years back that she was supposed to let run idle before shutting off.  I think the same rule applies to many Turbo cars.  I try to let mine run at least 15 secs if I am ina hurry, or more if possible...