PDA

View Full Version : Starting / Check engine lamp trouble

Havja
11-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi folks!!

I`m new to this forum, and just bought myself an -99 XC70.

After 14 days in my possession it turned over, just wouldn`t start.
After a couple of days of general trial & error I attached an OBD II diagnostic tester (Original Hyundai), and suddenly it started, stumbeled a bit but ran as usual again. Got error code p0-303, misfire. Switched coil on cyl.3, deleted error code, but the MIL came back after a while.

With the engine lamp on, I drove the car as usual for a week without any problems.
I have now taken the car to the Volvo shop, wanting them to diagnose my problems.

First they wants to replace two coils, thats allright.

A couple of hours later they call me saying they have to replace three injectors, as the nozzle tips are broken off, causing air leaks.......
And at the same time they advices me to replace the other two injectors to prevent any more problems with the injectors.
Now thats a bit strange. I`m working at a Subaru / Hyundai / Mazda dealer and have rearly heard any mechanic replaced injectors, at least not multiple.
But ok, maybe the injectors on volvo`s are really crap??? So they got replaced.
I work in the bodyshop, by the way.

Today they called me again saying the lamp still comes on after driving.
They need to replace the ECU !!! to get any further.
I`m still in the thinking box....

Is this for real?:confused:

any advice?

What the @#xx have I bought?

Regards
Håvard

JRL
11-18-2008, 03:19 PM
They don't know what they're doing!
First they should reflash the ECU a 20 minute process, if they really think something's wrong there before they want you to spend 1500 of your money.
Personally I would go somewhere else.
(If you really need a new ECU and they want a fortune for it, let me know and I'll get you one at wholesale. Unfortunately they will still have to load it, but you will save a few hundred bucks on the part)

Havja
11-18-2008, 11:32 PM
They don't know what they're doing!
First they should reflash the ECU a 20 minute process, if they really think something's wrong there before they want you to spend 1500 of your money.
Personally I would go somewhere else.
(If you really need a new ECU and they want a fortune for it, let me know and I'll get you one at wholesale. Unfortunately they will still have to load it, but you will save a few hundred bucks on the part)

That`s just my meaning aswell!

We`re starting to talk big money here, 2200 for the coils & injectors and another 1500 for the ECU....!!

What I`ve heard, it`s a fresh volvo mechanic playing around with my car!!!

Has anyone ever replaced your injectors?

4MUL8R
11-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Take car from the dealer and go to independent Volvo mechanic now. If an injector tip breaks off where does the air come from in this mysterious air leak? If they said fuel leak, that is at least physically possible. A fuel leak dribbling fuel into the cylinders while the car is off can lead to starting problems. IF three of five are bad, replacing the other two seems prudent. But, each injector can be evaluated independently and only replaced if necessary.

Havja
12-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Well, finally got my car back from the shop last week and my wallet seems a bit light.
The problem was finally cured with replacing the ecu, wich had several fault codes, I was told.:confused:
Along with this they also replaced two coils & all five injectors.
I asked for the old parts and got them home.

As for the broken injector nozzle tips, this actually was the plastic washer sitting in the nozzle end wich had broken off (when pulling out the injectors I guess). This washer securing the o-ring in the lower end. Nothing to do with any false air leaks. I confronted them with this but "the washers was allready broken when they pulled out the injectors", wich I guess was the answer I expected. This is what irritates me the most about this.

Well the XC is running and drives like a dream again, so I just hope it stays this way for lots of kilometers now.

Thanks for your comments and advices.

Regards
Håvard