PDA

View Full Version : low coolant warning message

Jsandek
11-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Got the message upon starting this (cold) am. Coolant level at the 'min' line looking from the outside. But opening up the cap and looking inside it appears to be empty, wet but empty. I can see waht appears to be a spring-like mechanism at the bottom. Does the reserviour have an inner and outer chamber? Searching the forum brought up numerous posts. My plan is to just top up with antifreeze/water. Is this straight-forward or do I need to be careful what kind of antifreeze to use?

Thanks in advance

goldxc70
11-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Got the message upon starting this (cold) am. Coolant level at the 'min' line looking from the outside. But opening up the cap and looking inside it appears to be empty, wet but empty. I can see waht appears to be a spring-like mechanism at the bottom. Does the reserviour have an inner and outer chamber? Searching the forum brought up numerous posts. My plan is to just top up with antifreeze/water. Is this straight-forward or do I need to be careful what kind of antifreeze to use?

Thanks in advance

The more important question is: where is the coolant gone? When did you last check it and, if the level was OK then, where has it gone since then?

To answer your question, Volvo recommends "Volvo Genuine Coolant/Antifreeze only".

Jsandek
11-17-2008, 02:15 PM
I do not check regularly myself. When I have I only look at the level through the wall of the reserviour. I was assuming that this was done during LOFs and periodic maintenance at the dealer (I'm at 48,000 miles, 04 xc70). The fact that the coolant level by eye outside says "min" but the sensor inside says "low coolant-turn off engine", and the level is low in the middle but not the outside is very odd. I do not have white smoke at startup. I'm hoping this is something minor like not topping up coolant over the past 5 years. Could be a hose, although I vae not seen any fluid leaking. SOmething tells me I'm about to find out.

MT71
11-17-2008, 05:46 PM
I had the same message twice over a month. Both time I filled the reservoir at mid point between min-max mark.

The second time I had the warning, I took it at the dealer and the found a small leak at the bottom of the rad. They replaced the rad, under warranty. Otherwise, it's a 3-4 hrs job, 950$

I would suggest to stay with the Volvo antifreeze. You mix it 50-50 with water. I used demineralized water.

Let us know how it goes.

Marc

goldxc70
11-18-2008, 10:19 AM
I do not check regularly myself. When I have I only look at the level through the wall of the reserviour. I was assuming that this was done during LOFs and periodic maintenance at the dealer (I'm at 48,000 miles, 04 xc70). The fact that the coolant level by eye outside says "min" but the sensor inside says "low coolant-turn off engine", and the level is low in the middle but not the outside is very odd. I do not have white smoke at startup. I'm hoping this is something minor like not topping up coolant over the past 5 years. Could be a hose, although I vae not seen any fluid leaking. SOmething tells me I'm about to find out.

Anything to do with coolant/overheating should be dealt with immediately. It is too easy to ignore by refilling reservoir but the underlying problems (water pump failure, heater core failure, radiator leak, etc.) can lead to a lot of damage including total engine failure.

Get thee to a mechanic immediately :)

goldxc70
11-18-2008, 10:25 AM
My plan is to just top up with antifreeze/water. Is this straight-forward or do I need to be careful what kind of antifreeze to use?

Many years ago, I bought a VW Golf which needed a thermostat replaced under warranty. The shop where I bought it did the job and everything was fine until one day I noticed coolant overflowing from the radiator cap. I brought it back to the shop and they did a pressure test on the system and tested the cap. Everything was fine. They then refilled the system and I left. Later, the same leakage problem. Subsequently, I bought VW coolant from a dealer - much more expensive - and refilled the system. Problem was immediately resolved.

Aviator
11-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Later, the same leakage problem. Subsequently, I bought VW coolant from a dealer - much more expensive - and refilled the system. Problem was immediately resolved.

Can I have some of what you were smoking that day????

Dave.

Jsandek
11-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the information. Ignore my comment re 2 chambers---I can see now how the inside is constructed. Antifreeze from dealer ($30!) is colored blue if anyone is interested--there is actually a discussion of this topic to be found on teh 'net. Mixed 50:50 with diwater. Adding ~ 1cup brought me to mid-way between max and min lines. This is with ambient temp in high 30's and car not used today. Ussually the lines mean difference between hot and cold levels. Is this the case with this car or is this the range for recommended cold level?

goldxc70
11-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Can I have some of what you were smoking that day????

Dave.

???

Jsandek
11-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Following up. Coolant level is holding steady after ~ 100 miles of driving.