PDA

View Full Version : exhaust question/problem

Sasquatch
11-05-2008, 08:29 AM
I inadvertently posted this in the wrong section, so am reposting it here.

Getting a raspy sound from what, after a quick look, seemed like a muffler roughly under the driver and rear passenger on the driver's side. Is this an actual muffler, or cat converter, or what? How many mufflers do these things have? Anyone have a diagram or photo of the exhaust system? I am wondering if I should bring this to a muffler shop or just go to a parts store and get a generic muffler and put in there myself. Or, I could do a combination, and have my mechanic put in a muffler. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

BillAileo
11-05-2008, 08:40 AM
You should have from front to rear a catalytic converter, a cylindrically shapped muffler (part of the long pipe section) and a rear irrregularly shapped muffler.

PaperToast
11-05-2008, 08:43 AM
i can get you a diagram of that too. vadis screen of your 2001 exhaust.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll223/PaperToast/exhaust2001.jpg

Sasquatch
11-05-2008, 11:55 AM
What a whacky looking muffler!

I think the front muffler (part number 20) is the one which is raspy. Can this be replaced with a straight pipe?

I figured these were stainless and would last longer than this. Anyone know?

pelagikos
11-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Can this be replaced with a straight pipe?

Yes, it can. I saw a post on the board about this had been done.

These have been known to grind against drive shaft under some circumstances. The ultimate fix is to replace it with a straight pipe.

ifnt420
11-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Here's my old stock exhaust with the center silencer replaced with a straight pipe. [thumbup]

http://www.volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/albums/userpics/DSC06951%20(Medium).JPG

Sasquatch
11-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Yeah. That looks like the way to go. That rear muffler is definitely weird. I wonder if a more compact unit can be slipped in there when the time comes.

Anyone know if any part of these are supposed to be stainless?

brider
11-06-2008, 08:47 AM
What a great forum!

I was about to start a new thread on just this subject! My 2003 just "lost" the entire outer sheet of the cylindrical thing, and I was PRAYING that it wasn't the cat. So it's a muffler? And I can have it cut out and a straight pipe welded in? And the car doesn't get significantly louder?

Also, I discovered the the welded tabs on the pipe just BEFORE the big, weird muffler both broke OFF, so the whole system was/is hanging by the rearmost hanger on the wierd muffler. I'm going in to the shop Fri to have them tack weld a repair of this, maybe I'll have them cut off the cylindrical muffler and put the pipe in while they're at it.

JRL
11-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Google "JRL MOD"
I may have been one of the 1st people to do this, certainly the 1st on a P2 Volvo back in 2000
It barely becomes louder, only under full throttle you get a nice little tone.

Sasquatch
11-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I googled "JRL MOD", and got a bunch of posts describing what my basic local muffler shop said they could do for me. What does JRL stand for? Hey, for $40-50, I'm going to do it. He said he could also put in a resonator for me, but it probably wouldn't make a difference anyhow.

Ozzie
11-07-2008, 07:11 AM
Maybe this helps...JRL's MOD

Oz :rolleyes:

Sasquatch
11-07-2008, 07:23 AM
OK, I take it that is someone's initials then... oops, I just saw that this "someone" posted in here a little while ago. How does it feel to have a tailpipe problem/fix named after you? (-:

duettitude
11-22-2008, 09:10 AM
I finally got around to fixing the resonator on our XC70 today. Like so many others, the seam had failed and the outer shell was unwinding itself. A local shop (Lou's Custom Exhaust) sawed out the old one and welded in a new generic resonator they had on hand (Jones brand) for $100 parts and labor.

Willy
11-23-2008, 02:26 AM
Noises coming from the output shaft rubbing against the muffler have been takled about here some time ago:
"
Silent -- Good call on the exhaust as being the root cause.

Although I have yet to take the car back to the dealer, I found what I think is the root cause of the squealing noise. There are evidence marks on the prop shaft due to contact with the rear-most flange of the muffler.

When the car is cold, there is about 1" of clearance between the muffler and the prop shaft. I am suspecting that contact occurs when the exhaust is hot and the cold slush/water splashes on the bottom of the exhaust pipe. This may cause the metal in the pipe to contract on the bottom (cold side), resulting in a bowing between the two exhaust mounts and contact with the prop shaft.

With the current mounting locations, there is likely no fix. The only way to prevent this possible bowing of the exhaust pipe is to add structure to the exhaust or prevent water from splashing in the first place.
"
This quote comes from this topic:
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576&highlight=exaust+shaft (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576&highlight=exaust+shaft)
You could take a look to see if it is a match with the noise you hear.
Willy

JRL
11-23-2008, 06:15 AM
OK, I take it that is someone's initials then... oops, I just saw that this "someone" posted in here a little while ago. How does it feel to have a tailpipe problem/fix named after you? (-:
DOn't know.
I did it and posted on SS years ago.
Someone gave it a name and well, as they say, the rest is Google history! :D

Willy
11-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Just (re)found another thread (with pictures) about strange noises (pointed at by Art):
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5426&highlight=exhaust+squealing
Willy

Sasquatch
11-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Here's my old stock exhaust with the center silencer replaced with a straight pipe. [thumbup]

http://www.volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/albums/userpics/DSC06951%20(Medium).JPG

Why is it off the car? Wanna sell it? Are you near Mass?

jdj2
03-23-2009, 02:34 AM
JRL,

Any spec's on the pipe used to replace the resonator?

I assume it's stainless, but what's the diameter and length? I'll definately need to source my material in advance of removing the system.

Thanks,

Jeff

Gatoviejo
11-30-2010, 04:46 PM
I also have a 2001 v70 XC and have the same issue. When my friendly shop raised the car, it looks like the second diagram that PaperToast posted. What I am worried about is not the sound but I think I am breathing muffler fumes. The sound sounds like a cheap cherry bomb muffler which I don't like, but I do feel sick after driving it and my daughter has been driving. The piece that I think is doing the noise and the fumes is that one that looks like the the one in PaperToast's diagram as #1 8603156 EU Catalytic converrter, exch, but that one is not exactly a cylinder, so I am confused.

In any case, I do have the rear huge muffler that looks like a metallic stomach. The one that is making the noise and looks like it had been patched before is a cylinder that sits almost right in the middle. Is this the one you all are suggesting that can be removed and replaced with a straight pipe? That would be amazing since the price for that part from Volvo is a huge bummer.

On another note to PaperToast...are those diagrams available in the net or can you share it?

Thank you all

wgriswold
11-30-2010, 06:20 PM
This is something that needs to be addressed for your and your daughter's health.

Back in the sixties Chevrolet made a car with a rear air cooled engine (Corvair) that heated the cabin with a heat exchanger in the exhaust stream. The heat exchanger would develop holes and exhaust would find its way into the cabin. A plumber with the van model drove it that way for some time and after awhile his brain was damaged to the point where he could not find his way home.

Do you have one of the home battery operated CO detectors that you could put in the car to test the air?

Gatoviejo
12-01-2010, 11:11 AM
wgriswold, I agree. I just put one of my CO detectors and plugged it using a cigarrette lighter converter and within 5 minutes it was up to 34 ppms where it is normally 0 in the house. I know it is not designed for that, but it is confirming that there are fumes getting to the car and my daughter is a med student paying her own way, so I don't want her brains fried.
What I wanted to double check was whether replacing that middle piece with a straight pipe does not increase the noise level and it is safe. I am assuming it is the catalytic converter.
thank you for the note

Gatoviejo
12-01-2010, 03:13 PM
The CO reading kinda freak me out and I just took it to a muffler shop and will put an aftermarket resonator which is the part between 20 and 24 in the diagram that Sasquatch or PeterToast posted. Thank you for putting a different light to it wgriswold.